x

How I do charge shipping rates that take into account size, weight, and distance?

[Note: The title of this post has been edited by a moderator.]

We've been asking over and over....the ability to customize shipping for categories, products, etc.  I sell cast iron teapots AND refills of loose teas (and more).  Abviously one is heavier than the other, but there are so many things that go into calculating shipping fees.  Volume, weight, distance (so Weebly thinks that the entire US should have the same shipping rates no matter where in the US you're shipping from or to?).  I really want the option to offer free shipping for specific categories....but can't.  I realize this will fall on deaf ears since you WANT us to fork over more money to 'upgrade' from our free or business accounts...but I barely make enough for a cup of coffee since moving over to Weebly so that's never going to happen.  Instead of getting more money from me, you'll be seeing me close my 16+ year old retail internet company.  Therefore, no more money at all from me, upgrade or not.  As #45 would say.....SAD.

Message 1 of 13
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

When you have a variety of items of different sizes and weights, our real-time shipping features work really well. You can create different box sizes and assign different boxes to different items. These are used by real-time shipping to return rates based on the size of the box, the weight of the items in it, and the distance being shipped. We have an article in our support site which will explain how to set up real-time shipping.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Hello! Sorry to hear that things haven't been working out for you.

Just as a heads up, you should be able to set up a discount code for free shipping specific to certain categories or products in the Coupon section. It does look like you've already worked out the settings for shipping by state and weight, but if there's anything else we can address for you, please do let us know!

Message 2 of 13

I would go see if you're correct about the new option to add free shipping for specific categories...with coupon codes...but Weebly is DOWN right now and I can't do anything at all with my website.  Plus, that's not what I needed.  I need to be able to offer free shipping for a specific category to all customers, not those fortunate enough to have this coupon code AND remember to use it.  

Message 3 of 13

Well, I can go check into the coupon code for free shipping to a specific category now that Weebly is running again.  BUT, I now am reminded of why I can't even use THAT option, not that it addresses the real issues.  I am required to select a specific shipping method to 'save' a free shipping coupon.  Another BUT....I've had to set up such insanely convoluted and overwrought shipping options for each and every state (EACH STATE has 14 seperate options based on weight of shipment and delivery zone) that I simply CAN'T select a shipping method so can't make a free shipping coupon!  I only offer USPS and FedEx.  But each service had to be set up (taking days!) for different weight ranges and zones.  Seriously....who the heck is running the Weebly ship???  I"m so frustrated....I'm also not alone in this frustration.

Message 4 of 13
Square

Best Answer

When you have a variety of items of different sizes and weights, our real-time shipping features work really well. You can create different box sizes and assign different boxes to different items. These are used by real-time shipping to return rates based on the size of the box, the weight of the items in it, and the distance being shipped. We have an article in our support site which will explain how to set up real-time shipping.

Message 5 of 13

My weebly/square e-commerce website is done but I just need help with setting up proper shipping rates with shippo shipping connected to my website but not sure how to do it because I use medium and large flat rate usps boxes and only a specific amount of candles I sell can fit into these boxes and currently the shipping rates are too high for multiple candles in a flat rate box! I can fit and ship 1 candle in a medium flat rate box and 2-3 candles (3 candle max) in a large flat rate box, nothing more. So I am not sure how to set up shipping rates for candles purchased in quantities of 4 or more without the shipping being too expensive for my customers. I'd like to hire or work with someone someone to just help me figure this out and set this up and that's it. I don't want shipping costs to be too high for people so im not sure if USPS flat rate is best or real time shipping calculated by per item or by weight, im very confused what to do with the ship rates and settings for my real time shipping calculations, I don't use Fedex or UPS, just USPS because its the most cost effective. Thank you in advance! Can I talk to a live human on the phone? That would be helpful and should be available to me right?

Message 8 of 13
Square

Hi @Thecosmiccandle. Welcome to the Community!

What weight do you have entered for your candles? Based on your settings, it should use a large back when someone orders more than one candle and the weight of the three of them is under 10 lbs. If someone orders four candles, it should use one large flat rate box and one medium flat rate.

Message 8 of 13

Adam, I see no way to assign a specific box to a specific item as you noted in your answer. Where is that located? I have very small things and very large heavy things to ship and the option to choose the box sounds like a great answer. Where is this option? I looked under items and nothing there. 

Connie

Message 10 of 13
Square

Once you've upgraded to a plan that includes shipping boxes and set up some box sizes, you'll see a dropdown menu on the item edit page where you can select the default box for the item.

Message 10 of 13

mary8961, I feel your frustration! Shipping is a business killer if you cannot adjust it properly. Others, (myself included) have asked for the Weebly shipping options to be improved, but alas! 

I have had my eye out for another host for our online store for a while. We also sell on Etsy which has simple but flexible shipping options, I have also been investigating BigCommerce which appears to have the shipping option that I need (A flat rate per product/item).Weebly is (I suspect) not that switched on when it comes to ecommerce and the needs of it's customers who engage in it. The rub is that I like (and need) the web site part of the show (My wife is a children's author).

Etsy also has an automatic currency converter integrated into their site (and it's FREE) it shows the customer your prices but in their currency (pounds, yen, euro, rand, whatever) which is great if you are trying to reach the whole world and not just Phoenix AZ.

Instead of perishing why not just migrate your store to another platform provider?

Kind regards  John 

Message 10 of 13

As for free shipping on individual items, I solved it. I just made the weight of the item 0.1 lb (It's a pain that you can't use ounces.) and then I set up a rate of 0.1-0.2 lbs at $.01. It calculates out to be 0. Of course, if you have an item that weighs 0.1 lb, you'll have to adjust that. Don't know if that will work for you but it's working for me.

Message 11 of 13

I did this lindakey but ... if someone the orders TWO of the individual items it adds up the 0.01 twice to give 0.02 and then adds a shipping cost. to fix this I would have to artificially manipulate the weights for all my products and ... that is just not possible! I have tried to set the default shipping to zero but it won't let me do it. and you HAVE to add a weight to a product - which is new, I think because when I used to forget (ooops) to a product it would then be £0.00 shipping at checkout. I tried to do this purposely to get over the issue but now I am forced to enter a product weight. I"m getting fed up with how basic weebly's e-commerce function is.
Message 14 of 13
Square

Hi @TwigandNibble I responded to your other post since this one is a bit old. Thanks!

Message 14 of 13