x

Posting a Document and Scribd Won't Let us View

Hey there!  So I used weebly all last year, had no issues with viewing documents, but on my new phone (iphone 6S), when I go to view my newsletter the Scribd logo is there and so I click that but then it redirects to a Scribd page and says the document is set to private viewing (but it's not, in my settings I have public viewing).  Any help is appreciated!!!

M

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Hello! Sorry for the trouble. We haven't been able to reproduce the issue here yet. Is there a specific document this is happening with?

Message 27 of 36

Not sure what web site the question is about but I'm having the same exact issue. I tried changing to a different type of document but so long as Scribd is there it says the same thing, that the settings are private. If you are not able to duplicate it you need to access it from the real world not from your office computer.

Message 27 of 36

Hey there @me2 !

It looks like you have a different document service embedded on your site currently, rather than the Document element, so we wouldn't be able to check that instance out. Is there a different page you're referring to in this case?

Message 27 of 36

Hi!  What does that mean...different doc server?

Message 27 of 36

Hi!  It is when I load my Word document.  Last year there was never an issue.  I did have to save the document to my desktop and then I was able to upload it from my desktop (it wouldn't load from my files...which was weird, but once I figured out it would from my desktop it always worked!).  Can you try doing that....saving a word document to your desktop and then uploading it to the site?  It is viewable on older phones, but not on new Iphones...the scribd thing comes up and then says that people don't have rights to view it.

Thanks!

M

Message 27 of 36
Square

If you're having trouble with Scribd's element, there's also a third party app in our App Center you can try:

https://www.weebly.com/app-center/file-embed?ref=ac-search

Message 27 of 36

I uploaded a PDF to the Document section of our website last evening (www.fiskurleather.com) and today I tried to look at it on my iPad. I got the message that: Sorry! This document is not publicly available.... The owner has set this document to PRIVATE (which I was never given any option) - and this seems to be an issue with mobile devices in looking at this uploaded document. On the left side of our menu it is located under Fiskur Leather Overview. Please take a look at this and let me know. Thank you.

Message 27 of 36

I'm having the exact same problem with the resume I embedded on my site www.kylerothfus.com. It shows but if you try to click the doc to download or view within Scribd, there is a "doc marked private" mesage. I have been unable to find any way to mark the document as public.

Message 27 of 36
Square

You'll need to change the privacy settings for the document at Scribd, @kmr1023:

https://support.scribd.com/hc/en-us/articles/210134706-What-is-a-private-document-

Message 27 of 36

I am having the same issue....changing the privacy settings on Scribd WOULD seem logical, except the document is only coming up as "private" when viewed from a mobile device. If viewed from a laptop or desktop, it is viewable with no problem. I am guessing the other posters are having this same issue... Thanks!

Message 27 of 36

Hey there NC-Teacher! Just to be sure, that's happening after the settings are changed over?

Message 27 of 36

Same irritating problem for me ... what is going on here ... I never made them private

Message 27 of 36

Forget the Weebly app

Create an account in scribd

Upload your document in Scrib

Scrib will give you the private/public option - select public

Scrib will give you a <> option - select this

In Weebly use the </> and paste the code in the space

People can review all the pages on your website by just scrolling it down. If they wish to view it/download it on Scribd by clicking on it. Scrib will let themsee a few pages, but uses the oppertunity to request they open a Scribd account.

Message 27 of 36

In order to sign up for Scribd, you have to give them your credit card and pay after a free trial. I do not wish to do that. This is an issue Weebly needs to fix. Most people are on a mobile device now and we need to be able to let them see our documents wherever they are.  

Message 27 of 36

How do you make it non-private

Message 27 of 36

Hey there tobyonmayen! Usually, that would be something you'd do with Scribd directly. Where are you seeing this message appear?

Message 27 of 36

It appears that this issue is occuring on mobile phones and tablets only.  There aren't any issues if viewing scribd documents on a computer and the user clicks on the Scribd icon or puts it to full screen.  However, if a user tries to do this on a phone for some reason it says that This Document is Not Publicly Available.  It appears that it has to do with the URL that loads after it.  It doesn't make sense that you would have to make the document publicly available via Scribd when there are no issues on the desktop experience.

Sample site: http://www.catholicjproxbury.com/bulletin.html

URL that loads when you click on the Scribd icon from a desktop:  https://www.scribd.com/document/349461505/may-21-2017?secret_password=KVwpSjfGfgISon8kjTYM#fullscree...

URL that loads when you click on the Scibd icon or full screen icon from a mobile device:  https://www.scribd.com/mobile/document/349461505/may-21-2017?skip_app_promo=true

How do you suggest to proceed to fix this issue on the mobile experience?

Message 27 of 36

I wish the problem would be address by Weebly - we are not all making the "the owner marked it private" up.

Message 27 of 36

YES. Same error here.

Message 27 of 36

Hello dakotachoirs! Where are you seeing this come up?

Message 27 of 36