x

SEO issue for Toxic Backlinks to Weebly stored pictures (blog)

I am using an SEO tool and one of my biggest issues is businesses overseas who are creating backlinks to my pictures on my blog which is copyright infringement first and foremost as I purchased those pictures and two it is causing toxic backlinks which can cause ranking issues with my site.

I renamed the pictures and thought that would fix it and re-upload - but it appears that those old links stay around associated with my site even though I overrode them.

Here is the example.

Source: 
http://tacu.sotechco.co/business-pipeline/business-development-government-work-pipeline-tool-for-contracting.html

This is the name now sales-funnel-info_org.jpg  but if you click the link above it is still there - hence causing and issue for 20 different people linking to that URL.

How can this be resolved - it should not still be there but it is.  Please tell me how this can be resolved as if I change it - it should overwrite it. 

Karen Fischer

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square

That a really shady practice, @rkfischer - sorry to hear someone is doing this. I would take it right to the host of the site doing it; they are almost certainly breaking the terms of service of the host, not to mention giving you the option to file a DMCA complaint against them. It looks like the source you gave is using this company for hosting:

https://www.myloc.de

This looks to be their contact page: https://www.myloc.de/unternehmen/impressum.html

Most hosts will want to take care of complaints like this very quickly because they become liable legally if they don't.

Message 2 of 5

@Adam  @rkfischer 

Hotlinking of my images to other websites is a perennial problem for me, at any one time I've got maybe 10-12 images hotlinked. Apart from obvious copyright issues and toxic backlinks you lose control over the intended use of your images. Two of my hotlinked images have appeared on websites I really do not want to be associated with and in one case an image was then widely reposted on social media with the hotlinking site's added white supremacist byline. I managed to get the image removed through DMCA take-down requests because they were US sites and it is US legislation. Take down requests also work in the EU where there is similar legislation, but in my experience they do not work in numerous other countries, e.g., Russia, Korea, Iran, Panama, where they are ignored by both sites and web hosting companies. Unfortunately, the bulk of my hotlinks come from countries that ignore.

This problem would be greatly reduced if we had access to our .htaccess file. I can understand why Weebly might not want this, but the ability to block specific (or range of) IPs from linking to our sites could easily be achieved without directly accessing the .htaccess file. And it would be in Weebly's interests too by reducing bandwidth usage.

The IP blocking apps don't work because they only block actual visitors, not links. I understand hiding source code is not a viable option either because of workarounds. Is there really no way then to block hotlinking in Weebly without access to .htaccess? 

Message 2 of 5
Square

I'm going to check with our operations team about it, @rkfischer. Doing something like that would obviously be a big infrastructure change, so I'm curious to get their input.

Message 2 of 5
Square

It looks like we looked into doing this, but it would have caused issues for a number of sites and would have negated any benefit, unfortunately.

Message 2 of 5