x

Weebly does not work in china.

The Weebly site or the Site i created on my account does not work in china. 

I tried submitting a Ticket and keeps poping up the community topics but does not submit a ticket. 

There is no such thing as customer service and i want to buy a package on Weebly. 

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Hello! There are some blocks within China that we aren't able to affect from here, especially with Weebly subdomains. What site are you seeing these issues on, and is there a specific message?

Message 2 of 27

The site is harryandliu.weebly.com it takes a long time stays on a blank page and than shows an page can not be found. 

Message 3 of 27
Square

It sounds like your ISP is blocking us; unfortunately there isn't much we can do from our end to get a governmental block removed.

Message 4 of 27

If  I use a dedicated domain( like "mydomain.com") will it be able to visit in China? 

Message 5 of 27
Square

Yes, if the IP address that you point the domain to is not blocked, then your site will work there.

Message 6 of 27

Adam - 

Our weebly coded site topranger.com is not blocked in China by ISP. But many core functions are blocked. 

What needs to be done is to replace

<script src='https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.3/jquery.min.js'></script>

with

<script src='https://ajax.aspnetcdn.com/ajax/jQuery/jquery-1.8.3.min.js'></script>

because the weebly code is calling google apis that are blocked in China . Is there a way to do this?

Message 28 of 27
Square

Try adding this to Settings > SEO > Header Code, @crawfordt900:

<script src='https://ajax.aspnetcdn.com/ajax/jQuery/jquery-1.8.3.min.js'></script>
Message 28 of 27

Thank you Adam - good idea. We added the script as you mentioned, but the page continues to call the google API later and goes into a pending mode waiting on the API response (that is of course blocked).

Is there a way to prevent the Google API calls? That means remove or block these lines of code:

<script src='https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.3/jquery.min.js'></script> 

I am told that <script src='https://ajax.aspnetcdn.com/ajax/jQuery/jquery-1.8.3.min.js'></script> works very fast in China.

Thank you!

Message 28 of 27
Square

I did a quick Google search and found this:

http://www.javascriptkit.com/javatutors/loadjavascriptcss2.shtml

Maybe doing something like that will work for you.

Message 28 of 27

I have the same performance problem too with my website not working properly in China. Also the menu does not work on a mobile in China, and my home page takes 15 minutes to load.

I am not a programmer (which is why I am using Weebly in the first place), so none of these highly technical discussions are helping me. Can you do something so the 400 million potential customers in China can see my website?

Message 28 of 27

i agree having same problem
Message 28 of 27

This weeblys response to  my question

Ron B (Weebly)

Jul 6, 08:22 PDT

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this problem. For security reasons, Weebly has made a decision to block traffic from a number of countries. I'm sorry this happened out of the blue and is affecting your site. We did not mean to harm good sites in this process. Unfortunately, at this time, we don't have a way to bypass the block for individual accounts.

Thank you!
Ron B.
Customer Success Advocate

Clearly I am not going to let this ride, they should be telling people clearly if this is the case, they are mis selling a product

Message 28 of 27
Square

While there are some countries that we currently block traffic to, China is not one of them. There have been issues in the past with service providers in China blocking us due to local government regulations there; unfortunately, there's not a lot we can do to mitigate that.

Message 28 of 27

You have previously stated that the block is stemming from the use of Google API in your code.

Is there an option to turn this off? or switch to a different analytics provider?

Message 28 of 27

After adding the suggested script to the SEO->header (and footer mind you) the site is loading in China (though extremely slowly).

Now there is a different problem where Video files that I upload aren't being displayed on my website.

I'm using the 'File' building block and I the file itself has been uploaded to my website, so it isn't linked to YouTube or anything like that (unless if this is happening somehow behind the scenes by Weebly).

Do you know how this can fixed? Is there another script that I can just add to the Header / Footer sections in order to resolve?

Thanks

Message 28 of 27
Square

Can you post a link to the page with the video? Are you using the app File or the file element in the builder? The file element will not display the video and will just provide a link to download it. 

Message 28 of 27

The video is in the members only section of the website. Please contact me directly and I will provide login details.

I am using the File element in the builder - however if someone accesses the site outside of China, they can see the video displayed, if they access from within China they just see a blank area.

Update: I've tried it with the 'HD Video' from the builder and I am getting the same results.

Message 28 of 27
Square

I replied to your private message. Thanks!

Message 28 of 27
Square

We may be serving the video from a different IP address or domain than the site itself. Can you post a link to the page of your site that has the video?

Message 28 of 27

This would explain why I wasn't able to share my website with a business client in China ...

How can we simply disable the Google API? 

I'm not a web programmer hence why I use Weebly to make my website.

It's disappointing that this problem was raised in 2016, but still hasn't been addressed.

If I can't use Weebly to do business with China, I'm disincentivized to continue using this service. I'll just find another company that can give access. I just re-subscribed to Weebly for a year. How can I get my refund?

Message 28 of 27