x

I believe my blog got hacked with a URL injection

I got an email from a guy (bleow):

Hey just wanted to ask,

My name’s Kevin and I’m the founder of GardeningMentor.com. It’s my passion project to provide valuable gardening guides for readers.

I found your content at http://www.biggreenhead.com/greenblog and saw that you’ve added a link to www.diynetwork.com. That’s the reason I’m contacting you.

I researched quite a bit and came up with a detailed article about How to Make Your Own Compost. I think your audience would appreciate the quality information. So I wanted to ask if you would add the link to your content.

Here’s the link to my article:
https://gardeningmentor.com/make-your-own-compost/

What do you think about this?

Thanks,
Kevin

I went to the article I thought he was reffering to because I was actually going to help the guy out, and his link was already in there (under "a quick how to")!    http://www.biggreenhead.com/greenblog/be-a-host-to-compost-the-greenest-diy

I  just want to educate myself on how to secure my websites better.  I have several weebly websites.  This instance is not harmful in anyway (I don't think), but if somone can get in and do this, what else can they do?  Thank you for any advice.
Karen

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square

Hi Karen. It sounds like he had already decided to link to your site and he is requesting you return the favor. I'm not an expert on SEO, but external links (and link backs) to your site is good for traffic. Smiley Happy As long as you agree his content is relevant to you own I would look at this as a neighborly gesture. It's nearly impossible to stop someone from obtaining your address url, but if you ever feel like someone is plagiarizing your content you can submit a DMCA request to the party. Hope this helps and let us know if you have any more questions. 

Message 7 of 6

Hi Bernadette,

He did not link my blog post to his website but rather somehow changed the existing link in MY blogpost on MY website to link to his article.  He actually changed the existing link in my article from diynetwork.com to his URL.  This freaks me out a little and I want to make sure my website is more secure. 

Message 7 of 6

Hi,

I'm Kevin who contacted you. I am a genuine person with a genuine request to check out my article. And if you find it useful and relevant, add a link to your post.

From what I remember, I had contacted you a few months back and I think you had added that link on that page. So there's nothing I have done to change any links on your website in any way Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 6
Square

Thanks for posting, @krod16. I hope this helps clear up any confusion. Smiley Happy 

Message 7 of 6
Square

Oh... I'm sorry! I didn't catch that part! So, you didn't edit the line that says "you can compost"? What about the one toward the end that says "nutrient-rich garden"?

Message 7 of 6