x
Beta Member

Barcode Scanner only working on 'Library' Screen

I have been using Square Register now for almost 1 year. 
We use the Square POS (the layout that uses the item grids) and have set up multiple quick pages for some of our items that do not have a barcode. We keep the till screen on one of the screens at all times for easy access, and have never had a problem with scanned products appearing on the current sale section. 

We have opened up this morning (11/02/22) and discovered that while on one of our item grid screens our barcode scanner will beep to say it has read a barcode but nothing will appear in the current sale window unless we are in the 'Library' tab where any scanned items will appear. 

This has never happened before, and seems to have happened over night. Does anyone have any suggestions on why this is happening and if it can be rectified as it is becoming an annoyance for my staff. We have tried restarting the register and the barcode scanner, plugging into a different USB port etc etc but the problem still persists. 

Any help would be greatly appricated. 

Message 1 of 10
Report Inappropriate Content
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

Hi @TheShopWitney, thanks for flagging this here. 

Sorry to hear this has happened, from this sounds of this it may be related to an on-going issue that started last night, which our engineers are currently working on a solution for. 

If you are using the new Square Point of Sale checkout experience, when you have a moment can you please try reverting to the previous checkout experience by heading into: More > Settings > Checkout > Revert to previous experience. 

This should provide a temporary solution for you. As soon as our engineers have confirmed a fix for this I'll let you know here and you can revert back to the new experience.

Sorry for any any inconvenience here!  

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question โœจ
Message 2 of 10

We have a similar problem that only started a couple of days ago 21st August 2022. If we enter an item with a variable price (no price) that appears in the sales part of the screen but when we scan another item it does not appear in the current sales section. Items tapped from the grid do. 

Philip Higgins
Message 3 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey @PhilHccsl, welcome to Square's Seller Community. I'm sorry to hear you've encountered this issue.

You mentioned that this issue happened a couple of days ago. Is it still ongoing? If so, have you tried troubleshooting the issue yourself? Where is this issue happening e.i. the app, dashboard, Square terminal etc.? Have you tried the troubleshooting steps listed in Alegra's message above? 

The more information you can provide, the more equipped we will be at finding a resolution. Thanks!

Message 4 of 10

If I revert to previous experience, what happens to the customised pages and items grid I have created? Would I have to recreate them when returning to the upgraded experience?

This issue is happening with the iPad IOS app on two different iPads. Both have the up to date IOS. Both have Square Version 5.97 (5970011).

I haven't tried Alegra's troubleshooting method yet.

What I have found is that selecting an item from the grid that requires a price input by the operator, that shows up in the current sale but the next item that is scanned does not but if another page is selected and the same item scanned it does appear in the current sale. Also, if the first item is tapped and then save the next scanned item will appear in the current sale.

As I say, this only started to happen either in 20th August or 22nd August 2020 and must be related to a software issue.

Our workaround at the moment is put all if the scanned items through first and then the variable priced items last.

Regards.

Philip Higgins
Message 5 of 10

Thank you for getting back to me with such a detailed response, @PhilHccsl

I'm going to escalate this to our teams internally to try and find out if this is a known issue. As soon as I hear back from them, I will get back to you on this thread. 

Message 6 of 10

Thanks for escalating it:

https://youtu.be/o-6HBaZpTDQ

This video will show you exactly what is happening.

We have just updated to Version 5.98 of the Square POS App and our IOS is up to date 15.6.1.

Thanks

Philip Higgins
Message 7 of 10

Thanks so much for your reply @PhilHccsl

Turns out this is a known issue that our engineers are working on at the moment. I've passed on the video to them (super helpful by the way, so many thanks for taking the time to make it and post it!) and I'll make sure to update you on this thread once I receive more information from them. 

Thank you for your patience! 

Message 8 of 10

Hey @PhilHccsl, thanks so much for your patience while our team looked into this. They have confirmed that this is an ongoing bug in the iOS app. 

They have recommended that, for now, you can workaround the bug by tapping basically anything in the app. You can hit a number on the keypad, switch between library and keypad, or jump to the transactions applet and back to checkout. Anything you do like this will re-enable barcode scanning.

Our team is currently working on providing and implementing a fix. 

Message 9 of 10

Thanks fo confirming the bug.

Yes, we have discovered that by changing screens barcode scanning is enabled again.

Regards

Philip Higgins
Message 10 of 10