x

Lost dispute with signature and in person

I’ve lost a dispute even tho the customer signed for in person the product and left with it. She then disputed, didn’t recognize charge and even with evidence, her bank ruled for her. I have no information but a name. Does anyone know how to find someone to take this up with them? Square does not help WHATSOEVER

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

Hi @Ptayes.  First, I’m sorry to hear this.  Unfortunately for all of us, it seems that banks are too quick to believe their customers no matter the evidence.  Sometimes we win, but that’s getting rarer every day.  Also, for the record, since Square is the middle-man here, all they can do is collect our evidence and present it.  The banks and card companies make decisions and don’t even ask for Square’s opinion.  They don’t have to ask, really, even though it would be the right thing to do.  Square is required by its agreements with Mastercard, etc, to honor whatever decision is reached.

Having said all of that, you have remedies, but they are all going to involve some court now.  Depending on your state, you can file a small claim and try your luck that way.  Keep in mind that some states — like mine (Kentucky) — require any non-sole-proprietorship (like LLCs and partnerships) to engage an attorney even for small claims, so you’ll need to check your state’s requirements.   And, if the amount is too big for small claims, you’ll need to file a lawsuit in regular court, which of course will require you to retain an attorney.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well and hope you have better luck with the courts.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Champion

Best Answer

Hi @Ptayes.  First, I’m sorry to hear this.  Unfortunately for all of us, it seems that banks are too quick to believe their customers no matter the evidence.  Sometimes we win, but that’s getting rarer every day.  Also, for the record, since Square is the middle-man here, all they can do is collect our evidence and present it.  The banks and card companies make decisions and don’t even ask for Square’s opinion.  They don’t have to ask, really, even though it would be the right thing to do.  Square is required by its agreements with Mastercard, etc, to honor whatever decision is reached.

Having said all of that, you have remedies, but they are all going to involve some court now.  Depending on your state, you can file a small claim and try your luck that way.  Keep in mind that some states — like mine (Kentucky) — require any non-sole-proprietorship (like LLCs and partnerships) to engage an attorney even for small claims, so you’ll need to check your state’s requirements.   And, if the amount is too big for small claims, you’ll need to file a lawsuit in regular court, which of course will require you to retain an attorney.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well and hope you have better luck with the courts.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 2 of 2