x
Beta Member

UberEats - Increase delivery pricing

We currently use Square's direct connection with DoorDash and UberEats. DoorDash has it's own option to increase or decrease POS prices for delivery. However, UberEats does not. How do I increase my entire ONLINE/DELIVERY items ONLY to account for a 15% increase for delivery? I am not seeing any portal on Square's side and UberEats does not have an option to increase.

Message 1 of 26
2 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @5iveSpice - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

As @TheRealChipA mentioned, if you have a question about Uber Eats, you’ll want to contact them directly. You can find the answers to most questions in their Merchant Support. If for some reason they’re not able to help you, please reply with your support ticket number, and I’ll see what I can do from my side.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

Applications to the Square Champions program are open! Apply here before October 14th!

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 26
Square Champion

Best Answer

@5iveSpice When I used Uber (admittedly a few years ago, now) this happened to me a few times.  It turned out to be Uber’s fault, though it took them a long time to admit it.  This is because Uber doesn’t and shouldn’t allow Square to update anything in Uber’s system.  

You said that the pickup increased price stays the same but the delivery price changes.  This is a big flag that there is something in Uber doing this when it syncs every morning.  As I recall, each morning Uber retrieves the Square Item catalog and makes changes as needed.  Square has no control over how Uber uses the data it retrieves, though.

I wouldn’t know where it is, now, but back then Uber had a setting that controlled whether or not to update prices from my Square catalog.  I could choose what updates to make and which ones not to make.  I had to turn off the setting to “update prices” and then whatever prices I entered (manually) as overrides were the prices that stayed until I changed them again (manually).  I can’t believe they would have changed that, but I guess anything is possible.

But, the rule for all integrators is that Square will not mess with their proprietary data and systems.  Square will only send the information that third-parties request (via API calls) and then it is the third-party vendor’s responsibility to use that data as needed to update their internal systems.  Since Uber actually wrote the integration software (Square didn’t), whatever is being updated for delivery prices (but not pickup prices) is entirely in their control.

It took me weeks to convince someone at Uber of that, but I finally got through to them.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Beta Member

Coming back to this topic (and seeing that neither party have actually solved this thing), I feel like Square could just add a function within the ‘postmates’ custom attribute that connects to the pricing (specifically) to Uber Eats so you can have it differentiate; seeing that it’s the only platform that actually offers split pickup and delivery pricing when not integrated with Chowly, Cuboh, etc.

I mean, if we can create separate pricing per location, I do not see why this cannot be done within Square to connect to Uber Eats. Sure, it will take us HOURS to work on all of the items individually but it’s much better than creating duplicate items on Square with different pricing.

Message 22 of 26
Square Community Moderator

Hi @momas_cafe 

Just wanted to jump in here to let you know I've escalated this issue to our partnership managers at Uber. 

This integration is entirely supported by Uber, and the support contact information can be found on the marketplace page for Uber Eats. For this reason, we are limited in the support we can provide regarding this integration, but I did find a communication channel and let them know about this issue so it can be investigated. 

Although I cannot provide an ETA for when this will be solved, we truly appreciate your patience during this time. 

Thank you

Frances
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 23 of 26
Beta Member

Hey Frances_a, just curious...an easy idea.

Since UberEats uses a portal site to connect the integration, could they perhaps add on there two columns there where one says 'Upcharge for Pickup?' (giving you the options of None, 6%, 10%, 15%, and 20%) and 'Upcharge for Delivery?' (giving you options for None, 15%, 20%, 25%, and 30% which covers the commission fees Uber Eats charges based on the plan you're in)? This would LITERALLY fix 90% of what's wrong with this integration.

Message 24 of 26

Aloha, does anyone have updates on this? Are we able to change the UberEats prices when integrating Uber into Square? 

Message 25 of 26
Beta Member

Unfortunately, so far, the only way to pull this off is to create duplicates of the items within Square while making a second location in Square to put the new prices in that. Then, via the Uber Eats merchant portal, virtually pull both menus individually. I have not tried this as I believe either Square has to add dual pricing or Uber Eats has to pull a Doordash by adding a toggle in the settings to enable pickup/delivery upcharge because this craziness should be easy enough for devs on BOTH sides to resolve this…

Message 26 of 26