x
Beta Member

UberEats - Increase delivery pricing

We currently use Square's direct connection with DoorDash and UberEats. DoorDash has it's own option to increase or decrease POS prices for delivery. However, UberEats does not. How do I increase my entire ONLINE/DELIVERY items ONLY to account for a 15% increase for delivery? I am not seeing any portal on Square's side and UberEats does not have an option to increase.

Message 1 of 26
2 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @5iveSpice - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

As @TheRealChipA mentioned, if you have a question about Uber Eats, you’ll want to contact them directly. You can find the answers to most questions in their Merchant Support. If for some reason they’re not able to help you, please reply with your support ticket number, and I’ll see what I can do from my side.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

Applications to the Square Champions program are open! Apply here before October 14th!

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 26
Square Champion

Best Answer

@5iveSpice When I used Uber (admittedly a few years ago, now) this happened to me a few times.  It turned out to be Uber’s fault, though it took them a long time to admit it.  This is because Uber doesn’t and shouldn’t allow Square to update anything in Uber’s system.  

You said that the pickup increased price stays the same but the delivery price changes.  This is a big flag that there is something in Uber doing this when it syncs every morning.  As I recall, each morning Uber retrieves the Square Item catalog and makes changes as needed.  Square has no control over how Uber uses the data it retrieves, though.

I wouldn’t know where it is, now, but back then Uber had a setting that controlled whether or not to update prices from my Square catalog.  I could choose what updates to make and which ones not to make.  I had to turn off the setting to “update prices” and then whatever prices I entered (manually) as overrides were the prices that stayed until I changed them again (manually).  I can’t believe they would have changed that, but I guess anything is possible.

But, the rule for all integrators is that Square will not mess with their proprietary data and systems.  Square will only send the information that third-parties request (via API calls) and then it is the third-party vendor’s responsibility to use that data as needed to update their internal systems.  Since Uber actually wrote the integration software (Square didn’t), whatever is being updated for delivery prices (but not pickup prices) is entirely in their control.

It took me weeks to convince someone at Uber of that, but I finally got through to them.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Square Champion

Hi @5iveSpice.  You can not do this through Square.  This is because Square can not control which price UberEats is using for their apps.  If UberEats doesn’t allow you to change this price in their setup, you will have to request that they either show you how to do it or that they add that functionality.  Honestly, I’d be surprised if they didn’t have it, since almost all states now mandate by law that they allow sellers to increase prices for delivery customers only.  If they don’t allow it, they are setting themselves up for one expensive lawsuit!

Good luck.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 2 of 26

Best Answer

Hi @5iveSpice - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

As @TheRealChipA mentioned, if you have a question about Uber Eats, you’ll want to contact them directly. You can find the answers to most questions in their Merchant Support. If for some reason they’re not able to help you, please reply with your support ticket number, and I’ll see what I can do from my side.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet

Applications to the Square Champions program are open! Apply here before October 14th!

Message 3 of 26
Beta Member

They have the option to increase pricing but the integration keeps overwriting the delivery pricing every morning. The pick up pricing stays increased but the Square integration keeps changing the pricing.

I contacted Uber support and they tell me to contact Square. Square tells me to contact Uber. This is really annoying that I can't find any help on this.

From Uber:

"Thanks for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your difficulties. Happy to help.

The problem you’re facing is related to your POS integration. Due to the technical nature of this POS problem, you will need to reach out to your POS provider for direct support. They can help you to resolve this issue.

Note that your store may use a different channel to seek POS support. If so, please disregard the recommendation above and follow the directions from your company or POS provider."

Message 4 of 26
Square Champion

Best Answer

@5iveSpice When I used Uber (admittedly a few years ago, now) this happened to me a few times.  It turned out to be Uber’s fault, though it took them a long time to admit it.  This is because Uber doesn’t and shouldn’t allow Square to update anything in Uber’s system.  

You said that the pickup increased price stays the same but the delivery price changes.  This is a big flag that there is something in Uber doing this when it syncs every morning.  As I recall, each morning Uber retrieves the Square Item catalog and makes changes as needed.  Square has no control over how Uber uses the data it retrieves, though.

I wouldn’t know where it is, now, but back then Uber had a setting that controlled whether or not to update prices from my Square catalog.  I could choose what updates to make and which ones not to make.  I had to turn off the setting to “update prices” and then whatever prices I entered (manually) as overrides were the prices that stayed until I changed them again (manually).  I can’t believe they would have changed that, but I guess anything is possible.

But, the rule for all integrators is that Square will not mess with their proprietary data and systems.  Square will only send the information that third-parties request (via API calls) and then it is the third-party vendor’s responsibility to use that data as needed to update their internal systems.  Since Uber actually wrote the integration software (Square didn’t), whatever is being updated for delivery prices (but not pickup prices) is entirely in their control.

It took me weeks to convince someone at Uber of that, but I finally got through to them.

Chip

Website
Facebook

जो है सो है
Message 5 of 26
Beta Member

I am still going back and forth with Uber on this. They're telling me it's square. They have the option to update delivery and pick up prices but every morning it pulls the Square pricing. This totally defeats the purpose of the integration and forces me to go back to checkmate if they can't simply STOP pulling pricing from square and keep the pricing I put on Uber.

Message 6 of 26
Beta Member

Hi @5iveSpice I'm going through the same issue with them now and it is so frustrating. It is clear that the issue is on the UberEats side because you can change pickup pricing and it stays but delivery pricing reverts back. 

Of course, Square could solve this on the integration level too like Toast does. When you set up UberEats integration with Toast, it asks you if you want to increase pricing. Then it sends the updated pricing to UberEats. 

Were you able to resolve it? 

Message 7 of 26
Beta Member

Yes, reach out to your Uber Eats account manager and ask them to manually set the delivery prices. That's the best way I could get it fixed for the time being.

Message 8 of 26
Beta Member

This is seeming going to be an issue.   I'm having the same problem where I just re-arrange my categories on Uber (like they should be), and within 5 minutes it reverts back to the original state.   This puts a "groceries" category on top of everything else, and is really a turn-off with the whole listing.   

I've spoken with Uber - they say talk to Square.  Square says talk to Uber.  No one is taking responsibility, or even attempting to reach someone in their respective integration departments.   SOMEONE had to work on putting this API together on both sides, so SOMEONE should be able to look into it.   The agents that answer the phones have a general script they read, but no REAL customer support on either side.   

Please assist as this is becoming very frustration that nothing is able to be changed --- prices, arrangement, etc.

Message 9 of 26

Hey @DailyGrindNash ,

Welcome to the Community. I am sorry that trouble has brought you to us.

We only have access to Square merchant account information as we operate independently. I understand how frustrating this can be, and if we had access to the Uber Eats system to be able to change prices and arrangements, we would be happy to assist.

Please check out this Best Answer from earlier in this thread.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Message 10 of 26
Beta Member

Again... this is an Integration problem.   OBVIOUSLY, Square and UberEats talk about the integration, and there is a team to be able to address this issue.   I'm sure that UberEats has a team as well that deals with API integrations between the two systems.   

This is needs to be passed on to that team to review, contact UberEats, and make the necessary arrangements. 

Your answer is a non-answer as you don't know what you are talking about, and have a scripted answer for such.  

Please pass this to the appropriate team to review, and have them fix the issue.

Message 11 of 26
Beta Member

Who developed the integration between UberEats and Square? Is that integration owned by UE or Square? Because all I get is Square saying it's a Uber issue and Uber saying it's a Square issue. I'm sure everyone using this integration is having the same issue. No one uses POS pricing for delivery considering delivery commissions are 20%+ these days.

Message 12 of 26

Hell, @5iveSpice

Thank you for reaching out to us about this concern. We appreciate your understanding regarding the integration with UberEats. While Square does integrate with UberEats, the management of this integration falls under UberEats' jurisdiction.

To address commission-specific inquiries, we recommend submitting a ticket to UberEats' Support Team. If you've already done so and they redirected you to us, kindly provide the ticket number given to you by UberEats and the reason they referred you to Square. With this information, we can follow up directly with UberEats to assist in resolving your issue.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience as we work towards a resolution. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know. We're here to help.

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 13 of 26

I guarantee you, everyone who is commenting on this from square has never even opened an UberEats merchant menu that syncs with square(or even really understand what the issues), otherwise you would have immediately raised this issue to your superiors to their superiors to talk to UberEATS about how obviously broken this function is. This is a pretty big function that is impacted here....

Anyways most of us here have already talked to UberEATS and they referred us back to you. We told you that already and if you don't believe us to the point that you have the audacity to "kindly ask us for a case number" is a slap in the face and clear indicator that you don't actually know what the problem even is.  

Here take this: 

Uber Case# 33078678
Uber Case# 33106903
Uber Case# 32924311

"Hi John,

The Square integration does not currently support different prices for your POS and Uber Eats menu. The Uber Eats menu will reflect the same prices and other configurations as listed on your Square menu. You may contact your Square representative to confirm whether any solutions exist for this issue!

Thank you,

Armie
Uber Eats Restaurant Support
https://help.uber.com/restaurants"

Now I've done my part hounding UberEats. I hate to be a Karen, but can you bring this issue up to your superior/boss? Can you bring this issue to someone who actually worked on this? Can you talk to UBER EATS now. YOU TALK TO UBEREATS NOT US. WE ALREADY DID THAT. WE DID OUR DUE DILIGENCE ALREADY. IT's a "Square/UberEats integration"- YOU TALK TO THEM!

If that's out of the scope of your capability as whatever your job title here is at Square...

Do us a favor and kindly give us a case number of the interaction you had between either your superior, the guy who actually worked on this or the uber eats guy. Kindly paste a copy back here in this chat so all of us here know that you actually tried. 

Anyways, I'm done with this. I bit the bullet and spent 2 hours making duplicates of each my items.. I only came back here because I got a e-mail from this thread and was just overall disappointed with the customer service response from Square. I'll say it and I'll say it again, it's tough to get good customer service these days...

Message 14 of 26

Hello @5iveSpice I understand this is frustrating and this needs to be resolved but once you have the support ticket you need to contact Customer Support. We cannot file tickets through the seller community for account security. 

I know this is frustrating but this is our process and in order for our team to address and resolve anything you will need to reach out to support at 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport and provide this ticket information and this number. Our team can further assist from there. I know this isn't easy and greatly appreciate all your effort to get this fixed. 

MayaP

Message 15 of 26
Beta Member

I'm glad that it's up to your customer base to get your problems "fixed" - and we have to take time out of our schedule to do Square Tech's job.   It's can't just be a SIMPLE as tagging or forwarding this thread to someone in the technical/API department to resolve.   Which, by the way, is something I KNOW is possible, as it's been done before.  

All of this is a ploy to not actually do work for the clients of Square.  

So, yes.... ticket numbers were given (as requested) ... but yet - you can't (won't) do anything to assist.  

Thanks.  Greatly Appreciated.   May you have the day you deserve.

Message 16 of 26
Beta Member

I was just going to start the integration into Uber from Square.  I was thinking about copying my menu and increase the price and only have those duplicate items linked to Uber.  Has anyone tried this?

Message 17 of 26

Whoa, I'm having this exact same problem too. First of all I can't believe I just signed up (this past week) for doordash/ubereats.... Should have done it sooner.

1.) With that being said the DoorDash/Square Integration is flawless. Everything works, there is a clear option on DoorDash settings to increase your prices to offset delivery commisions. That's common sense and honestly what Uber Eats should have.

2.) If UberEats doesn't solve this problem, is there any chance someone on square could do it? I think @lulietbakery mentioned here that Toast gives you an option to increase pricing for all orders for Uber eats... Would that probably be too much to ask from someone on Square? Is it that hard to code for Square if Toast has already done it?

Anyways I don't know what to do here. I just messaged restaurants@uber.com to see if they can "manually change delivery prices by 20%", but I'm worried that they'll be too lazy to do it/won't understand what the situation is..I'll linking them to this thread. I'm also worried that if they manually change the delivery prices it'll just reset back once the square sync/integration kicks in. I asked them a similar(basic) question a day ago how I change my delivery prices and this is what they said:

"Hi there,

Thanks for letting us know about your request.

Unfortunately I’m unable to resolve this for you. However, we request you to please reach out to your POS Provider directly or in some cases, your Corporate point of contact to review this to work out how they can opt-out from a POS integration. 

We’re sorry for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Fina
Uber Eats Restaurant Support
https://help.uber,com/restaurants"

Maybe they'll give me a different answer since I linked this thread to it...Jeez the help you get from some people these days...I guess this is nothing new really.🤣 

I might do what @HeidiG suggested.. I've done this before for DoorDash when I didn't know they have an easy delivery upcharge option 🤣 and it was a lot of work/very confusing for my staff to see all the duplicates in the item library. This might be the best option if no one from Square/Ubereats does anything, but another big problem is if someone decides to order "Pick-up" on ubereats and has to pay the jacked-up delivery prices. 

Anyways, I hope this gets resolved somehow... I've never used UberEats before, but after seeing how well DoorDash has done for my restaurant, I'm honestly very excited to maybe get some more Orders through that. For how long Square/UberEats has been around...I'm very surprised this hasn't been figured out already.....Big companies we're dealing with here and I'm sure many ubereats/square deliveries done in the meanwhile....Square or UberEats what gives???

Message 18 of 26
Beta Member

One of my restaurants uses itsacheckmate to integrate with Ubereats and Grubhub, while Doordash is direct. This is because UE integration was not available at the time and I do not want to cause any interruption in delivery during the switch (I believe checkmate costs $100/month)

The 2nd restaurant uses itsacheckmate for GH, but direct integration with UE and DD.

Checkmate does have an option to increase the menu prices by x% before passing to delivery platforms (but might be some complications if you require a different pick up pricing). I believe the other option is Otter.

Message 19 of 26
Beta Member

We accidentally stumbled onto a solution for this, without any confirmation if this will work again, but here goes! Spoiler alert, it's a little tedious.

On the Uber Manager site, we opted into the option to separate delivery and pick up pricing. Of course after trying to change the delivery prices there, they all reverted back to our Square pricing after it reloaded.

So we ended up duplicating every item that we sell on Uber Eats, manually changed the price of each and also created a separate location called "Uber Menu" for all these duplicate items to be assigned to. We ticked the option on each to appear on Uber Eats in the item options. We DID NOT uncheck the other items with the original pricing, because they are assigned to a different location.

Then we had to go back to the Uber Merchant Bridge page from our initial integration guide, and change THAT location to the new "Uber Menu" location we had just created. After letting Uber Eats reload for a bit, our menu now had all the items with the new pricing listed as the delivery price, with the original pricing listed as the pick up price.

We verified on desktop and mobile app and the new prices showed up correctly. 

A concern we had was whether or not the tickets would print out and appear on our KDS as they devices are not assigned to the new  "Uber Menu" location. Somehow, all the orders still came through correctly on all devices, and for the adjusted prices. 

Again, not sure if this will work for anyone else, as we tried to contact Uber support multiple times with little to no feedback, but it worked out for us!

Message 20 of 26
Beta Member

I've been asked to do something similar as well but to duplicate over 50+ items and create two items of each new item also means our reportings in square will be doubled (ie: we will see fries sold for the day as 2 different items). On top of that, you'd have to change the prices of all 50+ items to the higher prices where other platforms just automatically increase X%.

This is kind of silly because we have NO ISSUES with door dash integration -  it pulls your square prices and then you go to DoorDash and set a % increase and it sets delivery prices. So now Doordash and Grubhub would be using the original menu and UE will be using the new menu and two different reporting. And it's pretty dumb that no one on either side (square or ubereats) will take responsibility for this. What's the point of using the integration then?

I will be going back to using a third party integration that will handle the increase and manage all that.

Message 21 of 26