x
Beta Member

Best practices for setting up time-based categories

Hello all! I have a question about best practices when setting up time-based categories for online ordering purposes.

Let's say my restaurant currently has the Appetizers category. Some of the items in that category are only available during lunch, some only for dinner, and the rest are available all day. What would be the best way to set up these items for online ordering?

Would I need to split them into 3 categories: Lunch Appetizer, Dinner Appetizer, and All-day Appetizer?

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

Hey @LionelC.  Good question.  But you’ve already come up with the best answer, too!  Right now, Square Online does not allow time-based items, only time-based categories.  Thankfully, items can be in more than one online category, though, so what you’ve described works.  I’d make one modification in order to make things idiot-proof.  LOL.  Rename your categories “Lunch-only Appetizers,” “Dinner-only Appetizers,” and of course “All Day Appetizers.”  

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Champion

Best Answer

Hey @LionelC.  Good question.  But you’ve already come up with the best answer, too!  Right now, Square Online does not allow time-based items, only time-based categories.  Thankfully, items can be in more than one online category, though, so what you’ve described works.  I’d make one modification in order to make things idiot-proof.  LOL.  Rename your categories “Lunch-only Appetizers,” “Dinner-only Appetizers,” and of course “All Day Appetizers.”  

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 2 of 2