x

USB Cash Drawer opens after slight delay

The title of this thread has been edited by a Square Moderator from the original: "USB Cash Drawer opens with a 4-5 second delay all of a sudden??"

As of yesterday, for some reason, there is a delay opening the drawer by 4-5 seconds after cash transactions. There must have been a new update that pushed this new behavior through (there's also a new alert that says "transaction recorded.").

4-5 seconds doesn't sound like a lot, but this is majorly slowing us down. We crush through cash orders in a rush. Can we please go back to the old behavior where you hit the cash button and BAM the drawer opens right up?

Hitting "open drawer" still happens immediately. It's only when you input a cash transaction that there's a 4-5 second delay.

Message 1 of 258
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: USB Cash Drawer opens after slight delay

Hello,

I finally do have an update for you guys. Our team is issuing a fix, 6.31 and that should be available on 12/15/23. If for some reason anything changes with the release date we will make sure to let you guys know. I know this is not ideal with the holiday season coming up and apologize for the huge inconvenience.  I cannot thank you guys enough for your tenacity and continued patience while we address this. 🙏

1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

I have spoken with the engineers and they plan to release 6.31 to address the issue on 11/30/2023. Thank you for all your patience! 

View Best Answer >

Message 121 of 258
257 REPLIES 257

we have 2 registers, Square for Retail 

OS version5.45.0087, Version: 6.39

OS version5.45.0087, Version: 6.39

both on the same, slowness still with draw, already done factory reset

Message 169 of 258

Is this only happening with the Retail app? Can you provide a video of what you are experiencing? 

Message 170 of 258

Hi, I also have two systems. iPad w/ Square stand.  Both are now experiencing this lag. As of 3/21/24, Square POS Latest version 6.39.1 (6391001) on latest iPadOS 17.4.1. We now see a screen for 'recording payment' then 'processing' screen when we click on the cash amount before ticket prints and cash drawer opens. Before it was instant.

Message 171 of 258

Mine is doing the exact same thing. Updating from 6.38.1 to 6.39.1 neither caused the problem, nor remedied it. 

Message 172 of 258

Hey there @justsportsmans. I am looking into this. The team is asking if this is happening only with the Retail app. With the general app is this occurring? Can you provide a video of what you are seeing? 

Message 173 of 258

I am on Square Point of Sale (the white one), not retail, not restaurant.

Message 174 of 258

I'm using Square for Restaurants on an iPad with Square stand. My experience is the same as @luongk in their video.

Message 175 of 258

please see this youtube video from our Square machine: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hasaz6ihKY8&feature=youtu.be

Message 176 of 258

Hello 

I have just uploaded my video to youtube 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hasaz6ihKY8&feature=youtu.be

or please youtube "Square POS - long delay in draw opening"

Message 177 of 258

Hey guys @SWCMD @justsportsmans @luongk, I did escalate this and the team is asking if we can reach out so they can troubleshoot this some further. Please contact support so we can take a further look into this and hopefully resolve this permanently. I appreciate you working with us on this! 

Message 178 of 258

Do you have a direct link for this support team? I never seem to have any luck reaching out to them with the general support site.

Message 179 of 258

The best way to contact support is through the in-app chat support option or 1-855-700-6000, squ.re/contactsqsupport.

Message 180 of 258

We have the same issue for the last week or so.

Using the point of sale app on an iPad.

The cash drawer is very delayed. Only opening after the printer printed the ticket.

It used to open immediately after pressing the cash amount in the app.

Message 181 of 258

Sad news. I called in to support and spoke to Aaron. Escalated to engineers and was told this is expected behavior. There will be no further attempts to address it.

Message 182 of 258

Square obviously doesn't care about workflow and the impact this has on their retail POS clients. Horrible. We get a window that pops up periodically and says something like "Approved. Please collect cash from customer" and you must click OK to continue. WTF. Thanks?  Ridiculous 

Message 183 of 258

hopefully the moderator and someone for Square can take a detailed look into this, we have provided very clear real time video of the. someone from the customer services team was telling me it was my Internet connection LOL. we have no issues with card payments but only delays in cash payments, so not sure how internet connection affects this......

Message 184 of 258

Hey there @SWCMD, I appreciate your patience. I did reply above. I escalated this over to our support team support and they are asking if you guys can call into support to troubleshoot this further. Since this is happening on different devices and Square apps it is best to have our team take a deeper dive. They will not file a ticket right now for this. 

Message 185 of 258

Hello please see this video of a delay in card processing. and the is a blink on the customer screen during the process....

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VLnpR6eXWeU

Internet is fine. It is happening on both registers we have, softwares are up to date (it says on the register). 

very confusing as initially on our side it says "remove card" but on the customer's side it "do not remove card"?

Message 186 of 258
Square Champion

As of today, we too are experiencing this phenomenon and it’s slowing down our transactions. 

Max Berkowitz | MAX’S DELI
Square Online Store
Message 187 of 258

Ok so with the new iPad app update, every aspect of running a tx is slower (item election, payment selection, changing screens, all of it). And now all of the iPads suffer from this cash settle delay. We're going backwards.

Message 188 of 258

We have noticed the same on Square Register.  With recent updates, everything is delayed and slower. Very frustrating. 

Message 189 of 258