x

USB Cash Drawer opens after slight delay

The title of this thread has been edited by a Square Moderator from the original: "USB Cash Drawer opens with a 4-5 second delay all of a sudden??"

As of yesterday, for some reason, there is a delay opening the drawer by 4-5 seconds after cash transactions. There must have been a new update that pushed this new behavior through (there's also a new alert that says "transaction recorded.").

4-5 seconds doesn't sound like a lot, but this is majorly slowing us down. We crush through cash orders in a rush. Can we please go back to the old behavior where you hit the cash button and BAM the drawer opens right up?

Hitting "open drawer" still happens immediately. It's only when you input a cash transaction that there's a 4-5 second delay.

Message 1 of 258
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: USB Cash Drawer opens after slight delay

Hello,

I finally do have an update for you guys. Our team is issuing a fix, 6.31 and that should be available on 12/15/23. If for some reason anything changes with the release date we will make sure to let you guys know. I know this is not ideal with the holiday season coming up and apologize for the huge inconvenience.  I cannot thank you guys enough for your tenacity and continued patience while we address this. 🙏

1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

I have spoken with the engineers and they plan to release 6.31 to address the issue on 11/30/2023. Thank you for all your patience! 

View Best Answer >

Message 121 of 258
257 REPLIES 257

I think most of us understand it’s a software issue but that shouldn’t stop people from posting their frustrations. Hopefully the more people post, the more seriously this company will take this issue 

Message 106 of 258

Same!!!! Reading Square's response that basically says "Once again,  don't care how our changes affect our customers. Deal with it!", adds another tic in the Cons column. I dislike Square more than any other POS system I have ever used. The engineers who work for Square need to go back to school, they were the ones that caused the worldwide crash a few weeks ago that none of us got reimbursed for. 

We have been using the cash drawer key to open the drawer while we wait for the new sllllloooooowwwww process to finish. The people who made the change obvs have never worked register and don't understand customer flow. In the time it takes the machine to process, I can be done or almost done with the next customer. 

Square only cares about making their money and not about our businesses.

Message 107 of 258

We will be switching POS systems by the end of the month. We’ve had way too many complaints about wait times, and customers walk out because of the register not opening or glitching. We have been talking to three different companies and are deciding which we like the best to make the switch. 

Message 108 of 258

I'd love to hear who you go with as I'm starting to lean that way also.

Message 109 of 258

I’ll definitely let you know ! There are some great options for around the same price point ! 

Message 110 of 258

Agreed, this delay is unacceptable.  Especially now that the official response is apparently:

All this to say yes, this is a new and updated change to the cash payment workflow so this is expected behavior. However, this cannot be changed or edited.

An updated change to the cash payment workflow???  We've been using Square for the past 10 years or so and have been generally happy.  This glitch is a deal breaker.  I have meetings with other processors lined up this week. 

Message 111 of 258

wow just stumbled onto this post after having this issue for weeks.  If the final response is that this is expected and cant be changed....we will be switching our systems to something else.  Standing around for multiple seconds every transaction during a rush is so frustrating

Message 112 of 258

Now we are dealing with constant buffering while the POS tries to read credit cards, no tap, chip, or slide transaction is going through !!!! Whether we are online or offline…. I have to manually enter ever cc to make it go through. This is complete BS. I have rebooted the POS and the problem still occurs. I had multiple customers walk out today because of the cash register delay, not employees being slow, just the POS being slow. This is ridiculous. Why are we paying for a system that doesn’t work. 

Message 113 of 258

You may want to check your internet/wifi connection.  We had a similar problem in the past with buffering. Our wifi signal wasnt strong enough.  Move your router closer to the POS or buy a faster/stronger router and that may fix your issue.  It solved it for us.

Message 114 of 258

I appreciate the suggestion.  We are having the same problems such as delayed drawer opening for cash transactions, system going on and offline as well as the spinning wheel of death which requires a restart.  This happens at all three of our locations and has been getting worse over the past few months.   We will certainly double check the internet connection as Square was great when it worked.

Message 115 of 258

Hello,

I finally do have an update for you guys. Our team is issuing a fix, 6.31 and that should be available on 12/15/23. If for some reason anything changes with the release date we will make sure to let you guys know. I know this is not ideal with the holiday season coming up and apologize for the huge inconvenience.  I cannot thank you guys enough for your tenacity and continued patience while we address this. 🙏

Message 116 of 258

Thank you MayaP for the update. Really appreciate you keeping on this issue. It can't be easy navigating such a large company and I'm glad to see that posts and suggestions on this forum are taken seriously and escalated to the top. 

Looking forward to 12/15 ;0

Message 117 of 258

Yes, thanks for the update, it sounds promising.  We're hanging in looking forward to the fix.

Message 118 of 258

Thank you for the update!!!

Message 119 of 258

@MayaP , thanks for informing us that you have a fix for this. However, a 12/15 release date is unacceptable. The slow cash drawer has a huge impact on our customers and on our business. Can you please make this a top priority?

Message 120 of 258

Best Answer

I have spoken with the engineers and they plan to release 6.31 to address the issue on 11/30/2023. Thank you for all your patience! 

Message 121 of 258

This issue has been a major problem for my shop!!  On busy Friday mornings we may average one sell a minute in a two-hour rush!  The delay is crippling to our sells!!!  PLEASE rush this release!

Message 122 of 258

Your team has fixed nothing! Still having delays. 
and talking to the community instead of a actually supporting team is BS. 
im putting your pos in the trash. 

Message 123 of 258

Make sure the update installed.. i had to manually do it..

Message 124 of 258

I have version 6.31.1 and there is still a 5 sec lag!

Message 125 of 258

I agree it is still terrible and slow

Message 126 of 258