x

USB Cash Drawer opens after slight delay

The title of this thread has been edited by a Square Moderator from the original: "USB Cash Drawer opens with a 4-5 second delay all of a sudden??"

As of yesterday, for some reason, there is a delay opening the drawer by 4-5 seconds after cash transactions. There must have been a new update that pushed this new behavior through (there's also a new alert that says "transaction recorded.").

4-5 seconds doesn't sound like a lot, but this is majorly slowing us down. We crush through cash orders in a rush. Can we please go back to the old behavior where you hit the cash button and BAM the drawer opens right up?

Hitting "open drawer" still happens immediately. It's only when you input a cash transaction that there's a 4-5 second delay.

Message 1 of 258
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: USB Cash Drawer opens after slight delay

Hello,

I finally do have an update for you guys. Our team is issuing a fix, 6.31 and that should be available on 12/15/23. If for some reason anything changes with the release date we will make sure to let you guys know. I know this is not ideal with the holiday season coming up and apologize for the huge inconvenience.  I cannot thank you guys enough for your tenacity and continued patience while we address this. 🙏

1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

I have spoken with the engineers and they plan to release 6.31 to address the issue on 11/30/2023. Thank you for all your patience! 

View Best Answer >

Message 121 of 258
257 REPLIES 257

Hello there @GaryH and @bncountry 

Have you tried removing the app completely and reinstalling it again and see if the issue persists?

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 127 of 258

Yes ! Factory reset. 
it’s not a app. It’s the square register system. 

Message 128 of 258

Hey, I am sorry you guys are still having issues. A new update came out, 6.32 yesterday. Can you check if your devices are on that? @GaryH @bncountry @MATTSPLACE. 

Message 129 of 258

Hello, our small thrift stores are having this issue. It began about 2 weeks ago. I called customer support, they walked me through the factory reset and update, but it didn't fix it. What should I do next? Also, it takes too long to get connected to customer support- too many "press 9" options. 

Thank you for your help!

Message 130 of 258

What is the latest on this issue...many users are still experiencing the same problem even after doing a factory reset.... 

Message 131 of 258

Hi Maya

I Have installed the update today 6.43.1 and there is still no change. Still massive wait for cash drawer to open. in fact i think its got worse. all the developers have to do is tell it to open cash drawer first before recording the transaction like it used to be or not connect to the internet to record a cash transaction? I will post a video shortly to show how bad this is. I really need a fix for this. I currently have the cash drawer keys in both drawers so i can just open manually to get access faster. Not good.

Message 132 of 258

Thank for the update, @MayaP. any chance the fix could be released before 11/22? The Thanksgiving rush will be a nightmare with a slow cash drawer. 

Message 133 of 258

Too little too late, and this has been going on for weeks, and now the 'fix' is being delayed. I even spent $1k on a stand and iPad, and the issue intermittently occurs on that set up, too. And by the way, the stand sucks! So it's not just their most expensive Register. Square will continue to wreck efficiencies, as they have for the last 4+ years since I've been with them. I gross over 500k per year, and I'm officially calling it. Getting Shopify gear this week, and they charge a flat 2.5%. Square has a policy, that I only found by stumbling on the info online, that if you process over 250k per year you can get a lower rate. They never send you an email or letter, or anything, so it's entirely up to you to reach out. I've been getting ripped off for years paying 3% for shoddy hardware and especially software. Peace out, Square! You guys should all switch to Shopify. All your Square info can be imported. Configuring the rest didn't take much time, and it seems seamless to start a site with Shopify. Don't put up with this BS from Square; speak with your wallets. Good luck on black Friday everyone. I, myself, will be running Shopify POS by then.

Message 134 of 258

Atypical - does Shopify charge for monthly sales reports, etc? What about your outstanding square gift cards? Also - the lower rate for square is if you have credit card sales in excess of $250k - cash sales do not count toward that marker. We are also looking to switch. Have had this issue since late July! 
Thank you for any info!

Message 135 of 258

No charges for reports! It's a great deal with better hardware, and more than likely, software support as they host millions of sites. Yes, I easily clear $250K in credit card sales since 2021, so Iv'e been getting burned for too long. I have no idea about Square GC's as I've never used them. Hope this helps! 

Message 136 of 258

I’m with you ! Thanks for the info! 
ten years now and it just keeps getting worse. 
goodby square. 

Message 137 of 258

Same Exact Issue, Really slowing us down.  4-5 second delay in cash drawer opening on Square Register Only.  Happening in 2 Locations on two different logins and systems.  Not happening on our ipad registers. 4/5 seconds is an eternity when there is a line of people.  Hope that update at end of month is the fix.  We've been leaving our cash drawer open during business hours to speed things up.  This issue showed up at the same time that square fixed the Cash Management problem that was reseting the start drawer overnight.  Not sure if related.

Message 138 of 258

Hello @2A311117, I am sorry you are going this as well. Please see my reply above, we are releasing the fix to address this issue on 11/30/2023. I know this isn't easy and greatly appreciate your patience. 🙏

Message 139 of 258

Please clarify.  Our cash drawer is still severely delayed.

Message 140 of 258

The cash drawer issue should have been resolved at this point. Took 2 months but I made sure it wasn’t going to affect Black Friday!!

Message 141 of 258

Hello, are you saying that the issue is resolved, or just wishing it were? I’m confused by your comment that you made sure it wouldn’t affect Black Friday. 

Message 142 of 258

I am still having the same issue! You did not fix the issues. 
I am using the restaurant/bar version with the register hardware???

Message 143 of 258

am still having the same issue! You did not fix the issues. 
I am using the restaurant/bar version with the register hardware???

Message 144 of 258

We are still having the same issue as well. It’s very frustrating I did a hard reset as well and nothing has changed 

Message 145 of 258

Still delayed on 11-29… this sucks 

Message 146 of 258

Hello,

The release (6.31 ) which will resolve this issue, will be available on 11/30/23, so it hasn't be released yet. Thank you for all your patience.  

Message 147 of 258