x
Admin

The E-Myth: Innovation, Quantification, Orchestration

Hey Square Readers,

Weโ€™re kicking off the third section of The E-Myth Revisited by Michael E. Gerber, and so far weโ€™ve talked about the main roles and phases of a small business, and the principles behind designing a turnkey business. Now, letโ€™s dive into the first part of section 3 of the book: Building a Small Business That Works.

giphy

In this first part, the author dives into strategies to actually build a better business, using the framework of a Franchise Prototype. He calls the cycle of creating and implementing improvements the Business Development Process.  

Business Development Process

โ€œBuilding the Prototype of your business is a continuous process, a Business Development Process. Its foundation is three distinct yet thoroughly integrated activities through which your business can pursue its natural evolution. They are Innovation, Quantification, and Orchestration.โ€

Innovation

Innovation in this sense is more focused on how your business operates rather than what your business sells. The author writes, โ€œthe entire process by which the business does business is a marketing tool, a mechanism for finding and keeping customers. Each and every component of the business system is a means through which the franchisor can differentiate his business from all other businesses in the mind of his consumer. Where the business is the product, how the business interacts with the consumer is more important than what it sells.โ€

As the author explains, innovation here can be something as simple as changing the way you greet your customers which can lead to opening the door to create a unique experience just for them, or experimenting with different uniforms. No matter what you try, keep it simple and take the customerโ€™s point of view in order to think about how even the smallest things you do influence and affect their experience. Always ask โ€œWhat is the best way to do this?โ€ and always strive for better.

Quantification

Quantification here refers to measuring the impact of the Innovations you try. Itโ€™s important to measure absolutely everything before and after making changes in order to determine what works and what the best way is. The more you measure, the more you can improve. 

Orchestration

Orchestration here is not just implementing the Innovations into best practices, but rather โ€œthe elimination of discretion, or choice, at the operating level of your business.โ€ Itโ€™s making these decisions in advance so no decisions have to be made as you go. Itโ€™s putting the systems in place so there is only one way of doing things, and it becomes automatic. 

The author reiterates that his framing of a โ€œfranchiseโ€ does not mean that you need to create a franchise business, but rather it is โ€œsimply your unique way of doing businessโ€ in a way that can be replicated every single time. He stresses the importance of this because if your customers donโ€™t get the same great experience every time, theyโ€™ll go somewhere else. 

He writes, โ€œOrchestration is as simple as doing what you do, saying what you say, looking like you lookโ€”being how and who you areโ€”for as long as it works. For as long as it produces the results you want. And when it doesnโ€™t work any longer, change it!... Itโ€™s not something you do and then are done with. Itโ€™s something you do all the timeโ€ฆ once youโ€™ve innovated, quantified, and orchestrated something in your business, you must continue to [again].โ€

In our next discussion thread, weโ€™ll finish up the meat of the book with the rest of Section 3, diving into The Business Development Program, with a step by step process to design your better business.

Weโ€™d love to hear your answer in the comments:

• What are some little Innovations that youโ€™ve tested in the way you do business? What impacts have they had?
  • What is your process of Orchestration to implement new processes and make them stick?

Feel free to share any other thoughts you have about this book. We canโ€™t wait to hear your thoughts in the comments below!

Donโ€™t forget to:

Happy reading,

Pesso

๏œ๏ธ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Watch the Let's Talk Business Interviews
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Admin

Hey friends, sorry for the mild delay in getting this out to y'all -- I'm currently on a little vacation and had to pry myself away from the beach to get this up. Can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on this section!

Message 2 of 19

Jelly!!!!  The beach is my happy place!!!  Enjoy!!!

Co-Owner/Business Manager
Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Event Planner/Business Trainer
Member - Women in HVACR
Member - Women's Leadership Network, Helena
Message 3 of 19
Admin

Thank you @CareyJo ! It was such a great time, and once I got back I got sick, and then had some other things that kept me away -- but now I'm (mostly) back! 

Message 4 of 19

Glad you're back and getting better.  It was odd not having a lot of new comments from you...

Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Member - Women in HVACR
Message 5 of 19
Admin

Thank you so much! Definitely back with alllll the comments-

Message 6 of 19

For us, being in a service industry, means that we must do things the same way all the time - just like he suggests.  If/when we don't, that gives the customer room to tell another potential customer "well, they did XYZ for me... maybe they'll do it for you too" and then we have a problem...  So we have company policies that we abide by and don't hesitate to tell our clients:

First come first served - the first person to pay their deposit gets the first date available

75% deposit - no matter the size of the job or who the customer is, even repeat clients

We collect at time of service on residential - no exceptions, we're not a bank and we don't do loans

We do not provide bids without seeing the property - too many variables

When a client tries to question these things or make us move off of them, I simply say "it's our company policy but you're free to check out another service company" and it shuts them right up!

We haven't had to implement any new processes for years, but when we did, having open conversation about it and laying it out, setting 'rules' and even putting it in writing in some cases, made it easy.  Almost all of our commercial contracts have the same language.  They vary where the specifics for the building, equipment and amounts are concerns, but the terms are the same on all the contracts, so no one can complain if they were to compare them.  Same with residential bids.  They all read the same, only the specifics are different, so if they compare to their neighbor's (which has happened) they see that they match.

This not only shows consistency in our business, but also shows that we're ethical and offering everyone the same service.  It also shows that we stand behind what we say and that no one gets better treatment than someone else.  And just to be clear - the wording is my creation.  It's not generic that I pulled from some website.  It's our specific lingo and I'm always the one that signs it.

Thoughts about the book - 

It took me a while of getting through the book to realize that he didn't mean we have to be a franchise or that we have to create one.  He meant that we have to create that process that makes our business run the same way, all the time.  Any time that something has come up since I've read this book, I now have this little thought in the back of my mind "make my business run without me" but in our line of work it's not physically possible.  I do think that is far more geared to people in restaurants, retail and brick and mortar businesses that have the ability to replicate everything we do.  In HVAC, no two houses or businesses are the same and we cannot replicate that.  We can only replicate ourselves and make sure we serve the same way, all the time.

Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Member - Women in HVACR
Message 7 of 19
Admin

That's such a good point, @CareyJo ! It's definitely tricky to change and innovate when there are expectations of doing things consistently each time. I love how much y'all value consistency, setting policies that protect yourselves and set boundaries, and being transparent and clear with your customers.

I think that transparency is the door into change without risking inconsistency -- when it's a change in policy or systems and then you can say that you revamped, rather than more of what he was warning about being inconsistent. 

I absolutely agree with the un-clarity around working like a franchise vs actually being a franchise. It took me a bit to really make sure that's what he meant too, so I tried to make that super clear in my posts and summaries here. 

I'm glad that it's helped you think that way, even just a little bit! It definitely may not be possible to have the business run completely without you, but I think there are little ways and changes any business can make to have things not so dependent on the owner doing EVERYTHING. Even if it's using tools, technology, and automation, rather than hiring other humans. 

Message 8 of 19

Not sure if you've seen, since you've been gone for a while, but I recently joined a national group for women in the HVAC industry.  There is a lot of talk within that community about using automation and digital services for their businesses.  Most of them are A)  In large cities and have that capability and B)  Have a ton of employees that they need to track and it makes sense for them.  Neither applies to us.  But I think we're doing a great job the old fashioned way and I've made some comments in our forum for that group about it.  I've been very supported by others, they totally get where we're coming from and don't try to bag on me for not joining the digital age.  Pretty cool.

Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Member - Women in HVACR
Message 9 of 19
Admin

Oooh, thanks for sharing, @CareyJo ! That's so cool that you have that community to bounce ideas off of and share support. 

That absolutely makes sense and sounds like you really do have everything under control. And even better that group respects that too! At the end of the day, that's all that matters -- that you're doing well and feeling good about it and not overwhelmed. However you get there is perfect!

Message 10 of 19
Square Champion

I love this question! Our service menu used to be very detailed and left clients with option paralysis. We simplified our service menu and used variations to add sub service add ons and the results have been great- more money, quicker bookings. Orchestration was definitely used in this exercise.  

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Square Champion - Expert
instagram.com/bronzepalms
Message 11 of 19
Admin

Thanks for sharing that, @Bronze_Palms !

That's so fantastic that you were able to re-evaluate your offerings, simplify things, and still maximize profit and income with variations and add-ons. That's incredible! Sounds like you used all of it -- Innovation, Quantification, and Orchestration in that process. 

How did you decide what things to simplify?

Message 12 of 19
Square Champion

Great question - it came from a series of the same questions we received over the phone. "What is that?"

And when i realized it wasnt just 2 or 3 people per week, more like 10+, that was a sign that although the information was presented, it was not clear. So I simplified the way our services were listed along with the add ons.

Square Champion - Expert
Message 13 of 19
Admin

I absolutely love that, @Bronze_Palms ! Pinpointing customer confusion points, and things like that which take your team the most time to do, is a perfect thing to work on! 

Have you felt a big difference since simplifying the service listings -- how many of those questions do you get now versus the 10+ a week from before? 

What's the next thing you're going to work on?

Message 14 of 19
Square Champion

We received virtually 0 calls or text about our service menu since simplifying. It has been a game changer - clients feel more confident booking and staff does not have to fuel as many calls. 

I have been very diligent about working on ways to optimize myself out. I created an org chart, asked Gemini what tasks each portion of the org chart should be taking care off and added to that. Then I identified the right people to take on the work and had my assistant manager train for all of them separately; from there, she taught the next person how to do that coordinator role she just learned. It was A LOT but I assured her it would only be for 2 weeks - long enough for her to understand, troubleshoot and clean up the tasks, then teach it and be able to review it.

The piece about her teaching it was essential so staff would go to her with questions and feedback versus to me; I want to make her look like the leader. We are now on the other side of it and everyone is feeling very fulfilled in their role. We are working on locating the next Assistant Manager so my current one can promote to Salon Manager which will allow me to focus on our second location.

Square Champion - Expert
Message 15 of 19

Love it!!!  Fantastic work!!!  That's a lot to be proud of!!

Arctic Heat
R&C Property Management
Member - Women in HVACR
Message 16 of 19
Admin

That's so wonderful, @Bronze_Palms ! Carey is right, you should be super proud of yourself for having such success with it!

Wow wow wow. I love that you dove into the org chart side of things, used technology to make it easier and make sure you're fully covered, and went through that work to delegate and free up your workload. 

It's huge that you not only hired out, but trained those folks to train others. Growing those skills in your employees is tough but a massive investment that will only benefit the business so much more. 

I'm so glad you pushed through and it's paying off with more job fulfillment for everyone! 

Rooting for you in the continued process, and definitely keep us updated on how it all goes-

Message 17 of 19
Square Champion

I am AWFUL AWFUL at creating system and processes.. I'm a ridiculously chaotic person. I'm BOMB at new ideas and creativity. But my business partner is super good at codifying those new ideas into a process all the staff can follow. We need to create product consistency and make sure we are putting our best foot forward to our customers at all time.

Enjoy you beach vacation

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 18 of 19
Admin

Thanks @DinaLRosenberg -- vacation was fantastic and it's good to be back!

Haha, nothing wrong with a little chaos and creativity! That's wonderful that y'all can balance each other out, fill different roles, and get things done. 

Is it that you don't like to put together systems, or when you try it doesn't turn out well?

Message 19 of 19