x

Looking for log in solutions for multiple employees

The title of this thread has been edited by a Square Moderator from the original: "Which POS?"

I have a business with 6 employees, 2 of which work at once. They all run Square with one account on their phones.

How do I deal with the dreaded "phone number" authentication? I cannot be the sole phone number when they log in if they get locked out - that's the point, I don't want to be there.  I can't use their phone numbers.  Having it attached to a personal phone number for a small business is idiotic and once lost me 2 days of sales.

What's Square's solution to this problem? It's a pop up business, no brick and mortar, so no power for a fancy thing, no charging capacity.

I'm afraid now that Tap to Pay doesn't work for me anymore (thanks Square/Apple for the "great" upgrade) the next thing is they will force this change for 2FA on us as well.

Kim

Message 1 of 12
2 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Good Morning @ Kim

I apologize you are having issues with the 2-step verification code. The phone is usually attached to the owner for account security. You can always disable the 2-step at any time.  Once you enable two-step verification, you can add additional phone numbers or a different authentication app in order to access your Square account. To do so:

1. Go to Account & Settings > Personal Information Sign in and security from your online Square Dashboard.

2. Under Two-step verification, click Manage two-step verification.

3. To add a new verified phone number to your account, select Add two-step verification phone number and continue through the verification process.

Thank you @Donnie-M's for these great suggestions as well! 

If you are still having issues with tap to pay please reply with some more details including phone model and iOS app version and if you are getting any error messages a screenshot of the error message.  

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 12

Best Answer

This is not possible amaya. This is not a Best Answer and it’s annoying that you marked it as such. I do not have a store. I am not near my employees. It is awful to have two screens to click through on 2fa every time you start the app for wvwry employee on every phone. This system is awful. 

My employees are short term part time. I don’t want any of them to give their numbers since they might not be around. This has happened and I lost a day of sales. 

I want to permanently turn it off. 

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square Champion

@ Kim, use device codes to log into the app on the phone.  It will only require authenticating once every 90 days and then you can set up a team passcode for the employees to log in on.  You can revoke a device code at any time from your dashboard also.  Just go to device management in your online dashboard.  You may have to use your owner pin to change any settings.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Champion
Breaker of Things

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 12

Best Answer

Good Morning @ Kim

I apologize you are having issues with the 2-step verification code. The phone is usually attached to the owner for account security. You can always disable the 2-step at any time.  Once you enable two-step verification, you can add additional phone numbers or a different authentication app in order to access your Square account. To do so:

1. Go to Account & Settings > Personal Information Sign in and security from your online Square Dashboard.

2. Under Two-step verification, click Manage two-step verification.

3. To add a new verified phone number to your account, select Add two-step verification phone number and continue through the verification process.

Thank you @Donnie-M's for these great suggestions as well! 

If you are still having issues with tap to pay please reply with some more details including phone model and iOS app version and if you are getting any error messages a screenshot of the error message.  

Message 3 of 12

Best Answer

This is not possible amaya. This is not a Best Answer and it’s annoying that you marked it as such. I do not have a store. I am not near my employees. It is awful to have two screens to click through on 2fa every time you start the app for wvwry employee on every phone. This system is awful. 

My employees are short term part time. I don’t want any of them to give their numbers since they might not be around. This has happened and I lost a day of sales. 

I want to permanently turn it off. 

Message 4 of 12

In my reply, I stated you can disable the 2-step verification entirely. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. The suggestions provided by me and the other super sellers on this thread are all the options that are currently available  To disable the feature go to Account & Settings on the Dashboard and click disable under Two-step verification.

Message 5 of 12
Square Champion

Kim;

I use both Device codes and the 2 form Authentication on my devices.  The Phone # is NOT my personal number but rather my stores Number.  This way if a person needs the code it will be sent to the stores number.  Also I do not need to reply or forward the 6 digit code to the employee.  The Device Codes work the best so you know which device is being used.  The other thing is the Device Code is by App not only the device.  Meaning if I use Square POS and Square for Retail on my cell, I have 2 device codes 1 for each app.  I also can see which app is being used more for that device.  Here is more on Device Codes : 5586-manage-devices-by-location  

a device code is a 12 or 16 digit code that is hardly typed in.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 6 of 12

I don’t have a store or employees I trust. So then what?

Message 7 of 12
Square Champion

@ The device codes will fix the problem for you and with the team passcode you can limit access without having to do multiple auth attempts.  It isn't perfect, but do you really want an inconvenience every couple months to turn into thousands of dollars missing or fraud chargebacks?  I will take the tradeoff.  Security is no joke, look at the auto industry, look at the medical systems shut down by hackers.  This is one of those things there is a solution, maybe not perfect, but necessary.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Champion
Breaker of Things

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 8 of 12
Square Champion

Then keep the 2FA as is.   When you create a Device code, this logs right to the device, and no need for 2FA.  It is just better to have on the main account.  With Device code the employee does not have your email associated with Square to log in.  They just type in the Device code.   Then if you have them setup as employees they can enter their pin to see who did which sales.  I use 1 Pin for my associates.  This is basically the Store Sales Associate account which can not see sensitive business information.

I have 6 device codes.

2 are set for instore sales on my Square Stands

I have 2 Mobile Tablets (1 Android and 1 Ipad)

and 2 more for my cell depending if I use Square POS or Square Beta.

Once the Device code is setup and installed to log in.... basically Square when Logging in asks for either User ID or Device Code to sign in.  When entering the device code it automatically gets you to your account.   Then it asks for a User Pin to clock in.  This is where I use the Sales Associate pin.  Problem with this is you can not tell which associate sold what.

So if you are having associates using their own phone this is not a good idea especially if you do not trust them.  They could refund or steal cash sales.  So in this case of lack of trust the Device Code would be good as you can see which Device had which sales or refunds.   So if Bugs used their cell they would have code 15, and Road Runner would have device code 76 for example.   You can sort reports by Device also then.   Now the codes are not just 2 digits but about 14 with both numbers and letters.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 9 of 12

I appreciate your time but it sounds like we might have different business models. I just want to be able to make the choice and turn off the neverwneding 2Fa notifications. I have to click through those screens once a day at this rate. I can make my own decision. 

My fear is that if I try device codes Square doesn’t have a lot of flexibility and I worry I’ve lost some control - just like these never ending reminders that can be turned off for 2Fa. 

Message 10 of 12

Do you pay for that ability to have employees? Seems like square might eventually charge for that. 

Message 11 of 12
Square Champion

Kim;

When I joined I was able to have 2 Accounts Free

1. Owner Account with a Pin 
  2. Sales Associate Account with a Pin

More cost more at the time in 2019...... I am not sure what the Fees are per sales associate, only thing I keep seeing is for Square Shifts and Payroll costs.

The 14 character Device Code is entered 1 time not each day.  I have entered my device codes manybe 2 times this year.  After batteries in devices went dead or major Updates.  The device code usually does not need to be entered after Square updates or after device updates.  The 4 digit pin I use is to track Hours worked only for myself.  We are a small family run business.  

The costs you may want to call support in my signature line to see how many associates you cand have with no fees.  In 2019 it was 2 accounts  Owner and for me a sales associate type account.   With these two accounts You as the Owner can see most all things in the app, with a sales associate you can limit them not to be able to see Sales reports and other data for example.  

Now as for the 2FA, only time I have that is when I log into Square and want to change Email or Bank information.  This is more on the Main account to protect the Business from hackers getting into your sensitive information.

Device Codes and Sales Associate Pin you can see through your Square Dashboard.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 12 of 12