x

Is Anyone Having Issues with Updating the Card On File?

Have you found a resolution?

I am having the same issue. When I update the client's card information in their profile, the system does not update the information into the sale. I have had multiple similar issues:

1) I create a sale and add items. I add existing customer to sale.  Customer requests to update their card on file in their profile for payment to a new card. I delete existing card. I input new billing information. I "X" out of customer's profile and go back into sale. I hit "Charge $", I select "Card on File", IT SHOWS THE OLD CARD NOT THE UPDATED ONE. If I try to process it, it will DECLINE. I can only process it if I hard close Square, re-open and re-create the entire sale again. When I do, it is updated to new card. 

2) I create a sale and add items. I add existing customer to sale. Their card on file is expired. I delete the expired card in the customer's profile. Customer provides updated card number and expiration date. I 'X" out of customer's profile and go back into sale. I hit "Charge $", I select "Card on File", IT SHOWS THE EXPIRED CARD AND WILL NOT LET ME PROCESS IT. I go in and out of customer's profile and IT WILL NOT UPDATE. I have to hard close Square, re-open and re-create the entire sale again and then it is updated with new card expiration date. 

3) I create a sale and add items. I add an existing customer her Card on File was expired. I deleted the expired "Card On File" from the profile. Customer did not complete sale at that time. Customer called back 1 week later. I open checkout, add customer to sale and add items. I go into customer's profile and input the card information. I "X" out of customer's profile and go back into sale. I hit "Charge $". CARD ON FILE IS NOT A HIGHLIGHTED OPTION. EVERY OTHER PAYMENT OPTION IS HIGHLIGHTED AND AVAILABLE TO SELECT. I go in and out of customer's profile multiple times. I can see the card is in the file but it will not update to the sale. I HAVE TO HARD CLOSE THE APP, RE-OPEN, ADD CUSTOMER, RE-CREATE THE SALE, THEN CARD ON FILE IS A HIGHLIGHTED OPTION. 

I have called customer service multiple times. They have me hard close the app (which I know works...but lets be honest, no one want's to ring up entire orders twice especially large ones with many items). They have said the customer has to sign a waiver (They already have or they do at time of sale) and that's why it doesn't work. When I tell customer service this, they have no other explanation. They have had me open the app on another phone, where they told me the existing pending sale would be shown. IT DOSEN'T (and it never has in my 7 years using Square processing) so it seems the customer support rep is not even trained on how this system actually works. This all started a little over a month ago and it's happening consistently. 

The app is updated to newest version. I'm not sure what the problem is, but if there is not a fix (other than force closing and putting the entire sale in again) I will have to find a new merchant service company. My business is too busy and time is money. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hi @AToZebraRentals 👋

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. I can imagine having to constantly hard re-boot the device is time-consuming and frustrating to both you and your customers. 

This doesn't sound like it should be expected behavior, but I will need to confirm with the product team to be sure. 

We will be sure to update you here once we have more information to share. 

Message 2 of 3

Any update?

Message 3 of 3