x

Does Square offer a mobile POS system that scans bar codes using IPad or Iphone barcode scanner?

Does Square offer a mobile POS system that scans bar codes using IPad or Iphone barcode scanner?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Square Champion

Unfortunately, that is not something that is currently offered though it has been requested multiple times.  

Message 2 of 19

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. 

Message 3 of 19

Having a bar code scanner that works with iPhone and Android phones cameras would be extremely helpful.  I am a mobile user with 5 employees using phones to ring up sales.  We do not have a central registrar.  Can you please add a bar code scanner to the mobile apps?  Or allow a 3rd party app to integrate with Square?

Message 4 of 19
Admin

@rnwillia thanks so much for taking the time to add your voice. I can see how important this would be for a lot of sellers and will continue to bubble the feedback up to our development team. 

I appreciate your patience in this and please let me know if you have any questions or continued feedback!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 19
Beta Member

I was told you could use the Bluetooth scanner with ipad but not Android or iPhone.

Here is what I'm talking about

https://squareup.com/shop/hardware/us/en/products/socket-mobile-barcode-scanner-bluetooth

Message 6 of 19

I’m still amazed that I cannot use a Bluetooth scanner on my iPhone. Is there any updates on this it would make life so much easier.

Message 7 of 19

I tend to agree, it's 2023 and still no way to use an iPhone as a bluetooth scanner within Square? Come on .... 

Message 8 of 19
Beta Member

I agree, the limited bluetooth capable devices is a pain. However, if you have Square Retail, you are able to scan within the app itself. It uses the camera on iPhone or iPad as the scanner. That's what we have been doing while waiting... Hope that helps!

Message 9 of 19

Unfortunately, we are a newish business with only about $15k in sales, we haven't decided if we want to give almost $1k of our gross for just this ability. Honestly, it seems to come down to what Square wants to allow its smaller business to have for just the cost of charging us a ton of fees to use their software. 

Message 10 of 19

Do you know if this is also true for Square for Retail Free?

Message 11 of 19
Square Champion

@Krysti926 ;

Yes, in the Free Retail version you can use the camera in the App itself for Ipads.  I do not have an Iphone to verify it works with the Iphone if you are using that but I have 2 Stands with Ipads that the Ipad cameras work as scanners.

Ipad using camera to scan barcodes with Free retail of Square 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 12 of 19

has there been any updates on this? looking for an industrial type barcode scanner attachment for iPhone and wondering if that will work with the square app I have on the iPhone before purchasing one that's like $800

Message 13 of 19
Square Champion

I use a socket mobile model S700 Bluetooth scanner with the Square POS and it works fine. You have to go into settings then hardware then barcode scanner to walk thru getting it to attach. Even though it’s not one of the ones officially supported by Square I haven’t had an issue using it once you go thru the proper setup. Socket has an app that configures the scanner to work with IOS devices 

Steve Green
Mountain Vapors
www.mountainvapors.com
Message 14 of 19
Square Community Moderator

Hello @drill,

Great to see you posting in the Seller Community again, welcome back! 😊

Aside from the great recommendation that @homeprogreen suggested, I also wanted to provide you this list of compatible products that work hand in hand with our app/devices. 

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions! Happy to help😊

Frida
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 15 of 19

Has anything changed related to using the camera on an iPhone as a Bluetooth scanner with Square stand?? 

Message 16 of 19
Square Champion

@MarbleCityHCG ;

The Camera in an Iphone or Ipad should not have to be setup as a Bluetooth scanner since it is in the device itself natively.   I can use both Cameras on my Ipad to scan barcodes.  You just need to press the Dashed Square Box that has a Solid smaller square inside on the right side of the Search Box on the Checkout Screen.  After pressing those squares a popup appears showing the view from a camera, if you want to switch cameras press the circle that appears with 2 arrows to switch the camera to front or rear camera.

These cameras can read most barcodes but not all 2D barcodes.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 17 of 19

We are on the free Square account though, are you on the $60/month plan? 

Message 18 of 19
Square Champion

@MarbleCityHCG ;

I am on the Paid version of Square for Retail.  The option I mentioned above, that the Ipad can do this was using the Free version of Square for Retail.  Now with the Free version you cannot Create nor Print Barcodes but you can Scan Existing Barcodes with any version of Square POS or Square for Retail.

5980-compare-square-for-retail-and-square-point-of-sale 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 19 of 19