x

Invoice not adding Sales tax

Screenshot 2024-08-15 182830.pngScreenshot 2024-08-15 182836.pngI'm creating an invoice for a customer, and the sales tax is not adding to the the price on the invoice. I tried to add it in for good measure even though its set up, as you seen in the screenshot for select sales tax, nothing is there to select it just shows "name" (which I also tried deselected which made no difference) even though when it go back to my sales tax settings it clearly shows Virginia sales tax should be applied.  For instance, item is $50..in the sales tax line it says $0.00. I verified with support that everything was set up correctly. My state sales tax is selected. All items that would need to be taxed are selected to have tax applied (all of the things). To troubleshoot this, I was told go to Dashboard> Home> Take a Payment> at the top left choose location> then click Itemized sale and then the sales tax was applied. But that's moreso for immediate payment. I told the lady there should be a way to do this with an invoice with tax applied and she was quiet and just said "mmhmm" with not much else to say and so I  thanked her and hung up. Taking a payment is just taking the card information over the phone, which is fine but might make people uncomfortable as I'm a new business. I COULD, technically send them the link to make the payment, but in reality the invoice should be able to be sent with the sales tax reflected. Is there a workaround? Again, so information isn't repeated, ALL sales tax settings are set correctly and appropriately.

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Thanks! I got it to work in the end. I think there was a small oversight. After spending about an hour tinkering with it, I noticed that when I changed the location at the top left of the invoice, the sales tax was suddenly applied. Thanks for your help. Just to add  " All current and future taxable items at selected locations is checked" had already been checked as well. Although the problem is solved now, I will remember to try and remove and re add the sales tax for next time.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Champion

HI @annawalton59 

This is a new one that I haven't seen before.  Thank you also for the detailed information on what you have done.  I didn't see that you mentioned removing and adding the sales tax again as a troubleshooting step.  I'm sure you know exactly how to get there but just for future or anyone who may come across the same problem in the future, I'll list those.

Settings>Accounts & Settings > Business Information > Sales Tax.  

Click on Actions > then Delete Tax then Save

Back out of that, and then back in to re add the sales tax. 

Just to be sure the option to add tax to " All current and future taxable items at selected locations is checked" under Tax Application correct?

Let us know how that goes and if that changes anything when you can!

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.

Message 2 of 4

Best Answer

Thanks! I got it to work in the end. I think there was a small oversight. After spending about an hour tinkering with it, I noticed that when I changed the location at the top left of the invoice, the sales tax was suddenly applied. Thanks for your help. Just to add  " All current and future taxable items at selected locations is checked" had already been checked as well. Although the problem is solved now, I will remember to try and remove and re add the sales tax for next time.

Message 3 of 4
Square Champion

@annawalton59 wrote:

Awesome! Glad you got it figured out and working properly! 

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.

Message 4 of 4