x

Image scaling for items

Good morning!

I have various images in different aspect ratios depending on the nature of my product. It is not possible to have them all the same aspect ratio and display to the customer properly. I'm wondering if there is a toggle somewhere I missed that will turn item image scaling on or off. I realize we have locked aspect ratios, however, since the ability to modify those ratios doesn't exist, we need to have the ability to scale the image to fit the selected aspect ratio.

At the very least, we need the ability to adjust the image up/down/left/right in order to show the part of the image that we wish to show while still maintaining the locked ratio.

So again, I'm not looking to be able to modify the chosen item aspect ratio, I would like to have the item image scale to fit the chosen aspect ratio, or the ability to move the item image in the selected aspect ratio in order to display the part of the item image I want displayed.

Does this already exist and I just missed it?

Thank you very much,

Brad The Lego Guy

Owner - BTLG Bricks

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

HI, I am unsure of what you are asking.  Currently you can click an image to zoom in.  

Square Support Page 

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6894-product-images-on-square-online-store

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 10.36.24 AM.png

There is an online photo editor that creates 1:1 images of the area you want displayed.

Image 1 displays 6 different clocks.  I only want to pull one out.

xlarge.jpg

composite_16126296124810.jpg

But I also want to enlarge the scene of the face of the clock.

composite_16126285901244.jpg

If this is something you would be interested in, you can review here

http://zippyhelp.com/imagetools/stitch/photostitch_lite.htm

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 2 of 14

Ok, let me try again.

I know about sizing, cropping an image etc, I have over 4000 items so sizing and cropping is not practical, that's not what I'm after.

I understand why we can only select one image ratio for display, it makes sense. What does not exist is Image scaling to fit your chosen ratio. I have different products with images in different aspect ratios. To change those ratios with GIMP for example to make them all the same, is also not practical.

image 1.png

The photo on the left is a cropped image, the one on the right is an actual image. What should be happening without cropping or image ratio editing, is the image should be scaled to fit the aspect ratio you have chosen. So the image on the right should look like the image on the left  (almost, it should actually show the whole figure but you get the idea) without me having to do anything with it. That is image scaling. Perhaps the terminology has changed but this is how I've always known it.

image 3.png

Kind of like what happened here when you go to the checkout screen.

Second option:

image2.png

If square can't code scaling, give me the ability to move the image up/down/left/right/ when I upload it. Right now, as the picture above shows, I can upload and delete, that's it. If I can move it, I can center it for display.

Now if these exist already, just point me there as I can't find them. Either option would work but in picture driven online sales, we need a practical and functional option.

Brad The Lego Guy

Owner - BTLG Bricks

Message 3 of 14

HI, thank you for the screenshots and including more details.  Immediately seeing your first screenshot it seems the image ratio/crop is in rectangle and the second screenshot is in the correct 1:1.

Hopefully this will help a little more.

First screenshot (to see what your setting is)

Online Dashboard, Website, Edit Site, scroll down the page to select any item, Item Details, Image Gallery (first screenshot below is to see what your Crop setting is)

Second screenshot (to change shape).  

Online Dashboard, Website, Edit Site, Page:Home, Shop All, Item List, Item Images, Image Ratio (there are 5 different Crop to choose from as shown in second example below)

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 9.55.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 9.50.45 AM.png

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 4 of 14

can you mix and match ratios or is it set across the board?

Message 5 of 14

HI, @ashc we have connected on a different thread.  Please combine.  Thanks so much!

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 6 of 14

Hey again, 

No, I know that function, you're still referring to cropping, only this time it's the aspect ratio display box. It appears that image scaling is maybe not a function of square at this time, or I'm completely missing something and need to be taught how?

Scaling makes images larger and smaller to fit in a desired aspect ratio. Image scaling is used in web browsers, E-commerce sites, image editors, image and file viewers, software magnifiers, the process of generating thumbnails etc. etc.

It's pretty common technology that's been around for quite sometime, and is used by most online E-commerce sites to show whole images at different sizes without loss of quality. 

We need something like this. I should be able to upload an image, regardless of the aspect ratio of the image, and square should automatically scale the image into the chosen display aspect ratio. 

I shouldn't have to fart around with 6000+ images to make them fit into Square's cropping. That should be automatically done for me. Even if I have an an image in the correct aspect ratio, if it is larger than the chosen 'crop box,' the image still doesn't display correctly i.e. If your 1:1 image is larger than the 1:1 box, it will be cut off. The screenshot below illustrates that point. That's four different image sizes, all images in 1:1 ratio. 

test.png

So not only will the images not scale according to a selected aspect ratio, but they won't even scale when the image and the chosen aspect ratio are the same!

I appreciate you trying you help, it's just not the answer.

So, any ideas, or is their someone else you may know that I should to about this?

Brad The Lego Guy

Owner - BTLG Bricks

Message 7 of 14

HI, this feature is not on the Square platform.  You can submit your request to Square Support.

Contact Customer Support

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/contact?panel=FAB456B04971&skip_unit_select=true

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Message 8 of 14

This is the same issue I am having. Pictures look fine on the back end and come to realize potential customers can't even see the products properly. I am one person with thousands of products that I now have to retake pictures of because of course I also don't have Apple iOS devices to make the available apps work. If there are any Android iOS workarounds anyone can suggest I would greatly appreciate not having to redo every single photo. Especially if it's free. I've looked into other platforms to switch to but at this point can't afford to buy a new set of hardware compatible with a different platform.

Message 9 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hi @esmall,

Thank you for writing in with your honest feedback. I'll be sure to pass this on to our eComm team. In regards to different apps to use for photo editing, I'd recommend checking out Canva. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with questions, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Message 10 of 14
Square Community Moderator

@Goldneye 👋 I believe everything is merged here now. If we're missing a post from a specific thread, feel free to link it here and we can merge.

Thanks, again! 😇

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 14
Beta Member

As @Bradthelegoguy said it's kind of crazy that it's set up the way it is right now. I hadn't even noticed until I had added a bunch of items to my store that it wasn't displaying images properly. Seems like a very basic function of a webstore. Is this on the roadmap to be fixed or should we start shopping for other platforms to move to? Who has the time to crop images??

Message 12 of 14

Submitted a feature request for this.

This is what I'm going to suggest my wife to use in the meantime to force a square with a contained fit image:
https://apps.apple.com/bw/app/no-crop-square-quick-sized/id1297106360

Message 13 of 14

Is this still not a feature in Square?  In 2024?  

Message 14 of 14