x
Beta Member

Can I create custom item IDs without a bar code reader?

Could I invent custom codes for my items that don't rely on a scanner or reader? For instance, if I have several pottery french butter keepers in the same gloss green glaze, could I call them something like:

BKGG1

BKGG2

BKGG3   etc...?

I'm looking for an intuitive solution to reconcile sales in-store with sales that will be happening concurrently online. I don't want to accidentally double-sell an item.

Message 1 of 6
2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @ShannonBowen! Yes, you can just type in your custom SKU/item marker into the SKU field. You will be able to search items by this to help organize your inventory better. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
Admin

Best Answer

@ShannonBowen that's awesome to hear! I hope you get a call back soon.

I don't have any tips that I've personally used, but you may want to check out this article posted from Square that details what a SKU is and the recommended ways for using it. It's a bit lengthy so you will have a little bit of a read ahead of you, but I find it really informative.

AshleyK

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @ShannonBowen! Yes, you can just type in your custom SKU/item marker into the SKU field. You will be able to search items by this to help organize your inventory better. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 2 of 6
Beta Member

Thanks for getting back to me! I'm actually still waiting to transition from Weebly to Square Online (supposedly I'll get a call soon from the beta guy in charge). I've been hesitant to work on my item library in case it doesn't translate, but I can't wait. Business continues. Would you by any chance have any tips for creating easy-to-organize codes? Do you have any links to tutorials that might help me?

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Best Answer

@ShannonBowen that's awesome to hear! I hope you get a call back soon.

I don't have any tips that I've personally used, but you may want to check out this article posted from Square that details what a SKU is and the recommended ways for using it. It's a bit lengthy so you will have a little bit of a read ahead of you, but I find it really informative.

AshleyK
Message 4 of 6
Beta Member

Thank you, @AshleyK ! That link is incredibly helpful! 

Message 5 of 6
Admin

Woohoo! I'm glad to hear it. 🙂

Thanks again for creating this thread. I look forward to working with you more in other threads as well. Have a great day!

AshleyK
Message 6 of 6