x

Gift voucher or coupon

I have donated to various organisations dollar amounts to be used in my online store which is a food business. 

I'm trying to work out the best way to do this, voucher, coupon or discount code. None of them seem to fit my scenario exactly. 

For example - $100 for 1 customer to be used in any number of purchases over a long period of time. 

Gift voucher - I buy the voucher with my credit card and email to them but then im paying the credit card fee on the purchase. Or is there another way for me to give someone a gift voucher?

Coupon - can limit the amount but that on one transaction - it doesn't total up the amount spent over several transactions ie $25 per pizza x 4 purchases = $100, but what if they buy 2 pizzas one week? Not adjustable enough.

Discount code - again same scenario as coupon, can give a discount of say 100% or $100 but what if they don't spend the whole $100 in 1 transaction - how do you know what amount they will spend each time to limit the number of discounts to issue. 

Appreciate any advise anyone can give from previous history. Thank you

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Thank you for your post, @Birdy1!

Based on the options you’ve outlined here, it looks like Square eGift Cards would offer the most flexibility based on your requirements. Using eGift cards would allow organisations to make multiple purchases until the balance is exhausted. This option avoids the limitations of coupons and discount codes, which typically apply to a single transaction.

We don’t recommend paying for an eGift card with your own credit/debit card, as this action violates Square’s Payment Terms. Instead, you can select cash as your payment method to load the eGift card from your Point of Sale App.

You can set up eGift cards from both the Square Point of Sale App and your online Square Dashboard:

From the Square Point of Sale App

1. Tap ≡ More > Settings.
  2. Tap Gift Cards.
  3. Toggle on Sell eGift Cards in Store.
  4. Add your minimum and maximum load amounts and a custom policy (optional).

From the online Square Dashboard

1. Go to Payments > Gift Cards.
  2. Select eGift Cards > Configure.
  3. Toggle on Sell eGift Cards in Store to enable this option in the Square app.
  4. Choose a design for your eGift Card or upload a custom design (recommended size: 640 x 400 pixels).

Once you have completed the steps above, you can follow the steps below!

To Load an eGift Card from your Point of Sale App:

1. Create a new sale or open an existing ticket.
  2. Tap Library > Gift Cards > Sell eGift Card.
  3. Select your eGift card design.
  4. Choose a preset load amount or enter a custom amount.
  5. Enter the recipient's email address and tap Done.
  6. Tap Return to Sale to complete the transaction. Choose the cash payment method.

Once the transaction is complete, the recipient will immediately receive their eGift card via email.

It’s important to note that when you load an eGift card, you will be charged an additional 2.5% gift card load fee based on the total amount loaded on the card. For example, if you sell a $100 gift card, you will pay a $2.50 (2.5%) load fee on the transaction, plus any other standard Square card processing fees. In this instance, since you would be using the cash payment method, there won’t be any card processing fees incurred - just the 2.5% Gift Card load fee.

This load fee will be subtracted from your daily sales (Square balance), similar to how Square card processing fees are usually deducted. If your daily sales don’t cover the total fee, the remaining balance would be debited from your linked bank account.

To learn more about eGift cards, visit our Support Centre.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Message 2 of 2