x
Beta Member

New Square Loan in 2024

I’m at a bit of a loss for what else I need to do to be offered a new Square Loan at this point. I’ve been with Square for over 10 years, had 7 loans now that I’ve have paid back early every single time. Metrics are all in green, record sales year. In 2023, record numbers across the board, no refunds, no complaints or issues of any kind in our entire history. Current loan is 80% paid off, but no new offer in site. This is the kind of stuff that causes businesses to find someone else to process through! Please help! I’m sure I’ll get the same old excuses that you guys send to everyone about looking at every aspect of the business. But there isn’t a single aspect that isn’t way up. I’m not sure if there is a new process they are using now, or if there is some kind of issue with my banking or something else I’m not thinking about or aware of. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, because I could really use some new capital to start the year off with and reinvest into my business!

Message 1 of 2,001
5 Best Answers
Square Champion

Best Answer

I'm really sorry to hear about your frustration with the loan offers. I understand how important it is to feel valued, especially as a loyal customer. Let me try to address your concerns and provide some clarity.

Loan Offers and Qualification Parameters

Square’s loan offers are based on a variety of factors, and while past trends have shown offers at certain thresholds, the exact parameters can change over time and are not always disclosed in detail. Here are a few points to consider:

• Dynamic Criteria: Square uses a complex set of algorithms that take into account not just the repayment percentage but also your recent sales history, account health, and overall business performance.
  • Market Conditions: External market conditions and internal policy changes can also impact when and how loan offers are extended.

Value Beyond Transaction Fees

I understand that a 3% card transaction fee can seem high compared to other providers, but Square offers several features and benefits that help justify this cost:

• Integrated Ecosystem: Square provides a comprehensive suite of tools that work seamlessly together, from point-of-sale systems to online stores, invoicing, and inventory management.
  • Ease of Use: The user-friendly interface and intuitive design make managing your business simpler and more efficient, saving you time and reducing the need for extensive training.
  • Reliable Support: Square offers robust customer support and resources to help you resolve issues quickly and keep your business running smoothly.
  • Secure Transactions: Advanced security measures protect your business and customers from fraud and data breaches.
  • Analytics and Reporting: Detailed analytics and reporting tools help you understand your business performance and make informed decisions.

I understand the disappointment regarding the loan offer, please know that Square regularly reviews its criteria and your status. I recommend reaching out to Square’s customer support for a more personalized review of your account and to express your concerns directly.

View Best Answer >

Message 468 of 2,001
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your concerns. We understand your frustration, especially given your long-standing relationship with Square and your excellent track record with previous loans.

There are several factors that can affect loan offers, and while it sounds like you have met all the typical criteria, there may be new processes or other considerations at play. I would reach out to our Square Financial Services Team if you have any further questions. They are available at 1-855-700-6000 Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 8 PM CST. 

View Best Answer >

Message 875 of 2,001
Square Champion

Best Answer

August 1st Square shareholder letter came out with another outstanding quarter for Square Loans.  More loans than ever were started in the last 3 months, an outstanding show of commitment to the service.
"Square Loans facilitated approximately 142,000 loans totaling $1.45 billion in originations, up 32% year over year."

That breaks down to almost 1,600 loans a day (66 an hour, or more than 1 per 
minute). averaging $10,200+ per loan.

So yes, there are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of Square Loans happening all the time.  It is unbelievable that they can get this number of loans even facilitated, that is a staggering number of loans to Square customers.  It wouldn't be possible without the Square Loans Algorithm going thru and promoting offers to be given.  For every one post on here saying they haven't gotten a loan or 5th offer, 10s of thousands have gotten loans.  The service keeps growing though it may not seem like it to a user that is waiting for their 3rd loan.

@Twpchair 

View Best Answer >

Message 1492 of 2,001
Square Champion

Best Answer

Good news, bad news, eh @cmeshine.  There are a number of reasons that COULD be part of why your new offer was lower.

1. Square might be slowing down on how much loan exposure they want to have on their balance sheet.  They are, after all, a publicly traded company that has to answer to their shareholders and investors.
  2. If our sales are flat or at least not growing at a good rate to cover inflation and higher interest, then Square’s algorithm understands that inflation is eating into our available cash to pay bills, etc.  Flat sales (or very slowly growing sales) are always red flags to lenders, Square or not.
  3. Sometimes how long it takes us to pay off our current loans can be a factor.  Let’s say that previous loans were paid off with automatic payments in 8-10 months in the past.  But for this current loan it took us 12-15 months.  That tells Square that our card processing volume can’t keep you with higher loan amounts.  Yes, they give us 18 months to fully pay a loan, but they obviously prefer that we pay them off closer to the 12 month mark.
  4. If our cash/card ratio drastically changes, and cash spikes or is consistently higher than historical for our business, that is another red flag.  Since Square must only consider card volume when calculating repayment rates this can become a problem.

Of course, I’m not saying that any of these contributed to your lower offer.  I’m just throwing out a few reasons why this CAN happen.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है

View Best Answer >

Message 1498 of 2,001
Square Champion

Best Answer

@Twpchair wrote:

Years ago, I went to my credit union and called about a line of credit. Do I need anything, etc, Nope, they had all my paperwork and licenses, and they can look right at my account. I only bank with them.  No kidding in about an hour boom done received a line of credit. Now, I do use that for emergency type situations. But I have it. I just myself like small credit unions vs. bigger banks, just my preference, but they seem to lend faster and more often to small businesses. They did offer a business credit card, and I turned that down over the LOC. I'm old school and I do like Square. I've never been with anyone else, though, to compare. But I swipe that card and 5:05 pm it's in my bank. Loans love them, too. I don't take every offer more so the winter times, or if a deal comes along that I just can't pass up on and an offer came in, I would take it. I'm also one that likes the higher percentage paid back. If I want that loan, I want the most of it and not roll over 30 or 40% of an old loan eating into my new offer. But that's just me. Everyone and their situation is different. I see people with broken equipment or business repairs that need to be done ASAP. That's much different, and I feel for them, and each day I watch hoping they get that offer!

I agree everyone's circumstances are different and things come up randomly.  The biggest thing is like you said, if possible, to pay that thing down to 10% or less is ideal for sure if you can.  Just makes the most sense to me as well.  A 15k loan doesn't mean anything if you are losing 4-5k of that to pay off the previous one. 

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.

View Best Answer >

Message 1832 of 2,001
2,000 REPLIES 2,000

oh cool.  Yeah I get a job once in a while in south Lyon. I grew up in Northville right next door to south Lyon and have a couple life long friends that live in south Lyon.  It’s a nice little city. 

And I kinda pass near west branch whenever I go up to traverse city to visit my aunt, uncle and cousin or the few times that I’ve gone to Mackinac Island.  I don’t think I’ve actually ever been in that area though.  

Message 1870 of 2,001
Square Champion

A nice used to be small/medium farming community, and now it's growing and more industrial parks than Mt.Pleasant I think? But get out of town, and the farmers have just expanded out. My brother lives in Traverse. He's a PA at Munson Mental Hospital. It's nice for a visit but so busy in the summer it's crazy! I'm glad business is going very well. That's awesome to hear from Michigan! Do you transfer and do inside jobs in the winter?

Message 1871 of 2,001

I guess one good thing is that you don't have to play the rat race with square loans. Capital is the ONLY thing keeping me around. Right when I reached 90% and all green then they pulled the "needs work" in frequency and volume which makes no sense. I am above average in both. My business does not receive volume processing but larger ticket purchase which we are selective in our business it never has. If I reach 100% and no longer have ties to square bye bye square. What's the point when other processing companies offer lower rates and loans that you can count on rather than the algorithm that they mysteriously use. How do we even know that equal lending is applying here? 

Message 1872 of 2,001
Beta Member

I completely agree with you. What is the point of staying around 

Message 1873 of 2,001

My account hasn’t been updated since 9/2/24 is anyone else in the same boat?

Message 1874 of 2,001
Square Champion

No, problems here at all? That's a long time to go! Have you reached out to anyone? I know others have been noticing issues or delays, but not like yours. @MayaP what is the best way to do this? Call customer service and ask for tech support or email tech support directly? Thank you 😊 

Message 1875 of 2,001

Say a prayer for me community. For one of the first times we actually need this loan to come through. If we don’t get it in the next month we won’t be able to push through to get to the holiday season. I am paying off my 15th loan and am at 83% paid off. We are showing needs work for our processing frequency. Our revenue has almost doubled year over year. Currently sales have dipped below normal, but not to the point where we can’t sustain and pay off another loan. I am doing what I can to secure lending elsewhere, but sticking with Square Loans would be the best option. 

Message 1876 of 2,001

special prayers for you. I am in desperate need to receive a loan. For the first time I really really need it. I’ve been in business for nine years and with Square for seven years and if nothing is consistent in business square has always been consistent on giving some type of loan offer om or before 72% for me and my experience. I am now at 80% and still nothing I feel defeated I’m kind of scared and in a weird way lol I feel so letdown. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and I hope Square sends you a special surprise very soon. 

Message 1877 of 2,001

Don’t feel bad ..I’m in the very same boat. Always got a loan between 70-75% and heard nothing. I even tried calling today which I knew was a waste of time. 

Message 1878 of 2,001
Square Champion

You got them going up! Ugh, hun I am so sorry 😞 I truly hope we have turned the corner and loans are picking up. I'm not a big bank fan and use a small local credit union and I freak out in the winter months being in Michigan and I was where you were during covid and I called asked what I needed and nothing they had all my information to open a business account and I only bank there (shh and savings here) and a couple of hours later boom I chose the line of credit vs a company business credit card. I've used it 2x for great deals. I couldn't pass up. Do you bank locally and have a good relationship with? It's not always about credit with a credit union and most think they need a score of 800 not so much with a credit union they tend to lend more often, faster,less paperwork etc vs big banks. Just in my experience with ours, I should say. Here I go again! 

Dear Square,  please 🙏 😢 drop an offer for those waiting and truly need it! Thank you! Good luck, and I really 💓 hope you get an offer fast

Message 1879 of 2,001
Beta Member

Personally my business counts on these loans and square has been a huge disappointment. I feel they take alot and when we as business owners need them they are non responsive 

Message 1880 of 2,001
Square Champion

I know it's hard 😪. We got so used to 70-75 % for myself that I could almost guarantee a new offer! I started watching the trend last June! For about 15 months, it's been trending higher percentage paid off or completely paid off, and people 3/4 mths paid off and are still waiting! I paid very close to the new wording in the loan section about market conditions! Square has shareholders it has to answer to the same for most POS that does loans, especially. It's been a rough year with the market, Fed's are they raising rates again 😕 stock market crashes, job numbers off almost 1 million, and the cost of living in all areas keep going up by 2%. That section of the loans IMO is the one slowing things down. Not to mention, we have an election coming up, and the world is watching. That doesn't help you one bit, and I understand that. I've been with Square for 12 years now and never left, process every day, and never used another POS. I've had multiple loans, and all paid off way before their time. Like YOU good, loyal customers should matter and be able to get financing when we need it and not when an algorithm comes rolling on by. When rumors floated of a revolving line of credit vs. loans, I was all for it! You get say 25k or comparable to your offers and use it when YOU need it! Then I didn't hear anything else about it. Good luck to you and everyone waiting that truly need it! 

Message 1881 of 2,001

Thank you for that! A problem I constantly run into is that I bank with Square. I do everything with square, banking, savings, payroll, website and of course POS. I made the mistake of having all of my eggs in one basket because it was so convenient. I would advise everyone to have a separate non fintech bank account, because it matters when trying to get loans. 

Message 1882 of 2,001
Square Champion

Yes, I have square savings, and I love it . Honestly, I kinda forget about it and don't touch it. I agree 💯 there's nothing wrong with Square checking/banking but in your case it's a little tougher to walk into the credit union and open your account and say oh, BTW I would like a 20k LOC! Having a nice small local bank account is a huge plus! So yes, you NEED an offer now please 🙏 then I would check into a local credit union or bank. Hopefully, things are starting to move a little bit better. The last 3 numbers that came out don't help smh. But the market is staying pretty steady, and the Feds are just watching and haven't made a move yet. That's good! I'm pulling for you hun.

Message 1883 of 2,001

Ughhhh I just wish square would just give us all one. Been paid off since June 28th metrics all green & good standing and still nothing! I’m so frustrated and annoyed! I use to get them anywhere from 69%-80% paid now I’m going on almost 3 months paid off!  What’s going on square? We’ve been such loyal customers I don’t get it anymore. 

Message 1884 of 2,001
Square Champion

Dear Square, could you please 🙏 bring them some luck with an offer today, please! I'm doing my daily check-in with ya! I've been there and done that with stalking like a nut all day! The winters are my stressed out 3/4 mths. If we have a bad winter more and more, leave Michigan and head south! That's when I went to my little small town credit union and got a line of credit. Done in a couple of hours and 100 lbs of pressure off my shoulders. I truly hope today is the day! Hold tight.

Message 1885 of 2,001
Beta Member

Just got an offer.  8 days paid off, but only half of our last one. I took it since we can pay it off in 2 months. 

Although,  they may be going off of our new location. 

Message 1886 of 2,001
Square Champion

If you scroll down I can see if I can tag her. @GlitzyCow. She had a problem for close to a year I believe and kept getting the runaround and found out she had a hold on an account or customer. And that was stopping all loans. She might be able to answer better or tell you how she got to a real loan agent. I'm not saying you have any issues I don't have any connections you don't but I don't understand why so long it might be worth a shot to send her a message. I believe she was on last week and had her 2nd offer in like 6mths since they cleared it up. She is about the best one I can think of that was waiting for so long. 

Message 1887 of 2,001
Beta Member

No good 

Message 1888 of 2,001

I’ve reached a breaking point with Square. The Square POS system doesn’t offer much benefit other than the loans, and the transaction fees are outrageous, ranging from 2.6% to 3.1%+ on some days. Additionally, I’m calling out TWPCHAIR, who seems to be an undercover Square representative, trying to control the situation by empathizing with everyone here while acting like a business owner. No real business owner has the time to troll a forum as much as TWPCHAIR does.

I’ve been getting calls from some Indian call centers offering rates as low as 1%, with some cards even lower at 0.8%. There’s no reason to keep paying Square these excessive processing fees when all they offer is a sub-par POS system that requires additional subscriptions for features that should be included in the basic package. Some businesses are paying over $1,000 a month just in processing fees. It’s simply outrageous.

That said, I’ll probably continue using Square because I’m a bit goofy and love the instant access to the money. That’s one thing, apart from the loans, that I believe sets Square apart from the rest. However, the sub-par loan offers or no loan offers at all are just outrageous and a huge slap in the face to Square’s loyal customers. Not only that, but the lack of transparency regarding when and how the loan triggers is frustrating nonetheless and makes for a terrible business model. It creates a wormhole of complaints and saturates their call center, requiring them to spend even more money on customer support and service.

Message 1889 of 2,001

I have researched many card processors, and yes of course there are many with lower processing fees over square.  There’s a couple that only charge a flat fee of around 8 cents or so per swipe, plus whatever the interchange rate is for the card being used. Debit cards are usually under 1%, so that .8% is them probably talking about debit card transactions. Credit cards vary between 1.5-2.5% depending on if it’s visa/mastercard/discover/amex, which card it is (usually based off of rewards) and if it’s swiped or keyed in. I have never found a company that charges a flat fee of 1% no matter what since a processing site like square pays up to 2.5% on certain cards. So it is not like square is profiting on all processing fees. Any merchant card processor like square, has to at least charge whatever the interchange rate is, which I believe the highest ones are around 2.59% with certain credit cards.

90% of my card payments are keyed in by my customers via the invoice I send them, leaving me paying the highest fees all around 3%. During the 12 months I’ve paid around $5000 in fees, but when I’m writing up a quote for a customer, especially larger quotes ($3,000-15,000), and I know that it’s going to be paid by the customer manuallly keying in their card, I’ll pass that 3% to them by just adding it in varies lines of the quote. I won’t directly tell them or put that they are paying it, I simply estimate the job 3% extra. So in the end, probably 75% of my fees are actually paid by my customer, but still it’s painful to see my reports and $5 in fees over the past year, even though I didn’t technically pay for them myself.  

I wish square would charge a lower fee for when a customer uses a debit card. That’s where they are making a lot of money being that they are only paying less than 1% of that processing fee to the card company themselves. 

I love square the most, cause when a customer pays by card, I have access to that money within 5-10 minutes, where many card processors has a 1-2 day wait.  That for me sets them apart as well as their overall ease of use of their apps. I like how they are set up. I have never used their POS system though.  All my work is through invoicing only, being I sell services and customers are usually not present when I do a quote as they are usually at vacant homes that are being sold or rented. 

As far as their loan algorithm goes, from what I have read on the few that does do loans like square (stripe, clover) they are all kinda the same. Those have the same complaints we have on our forum.  From reading about loans through processors though, I’ve found comments stating PayPal is a bit more reliable, but this was a while back so I could be wrong. 

Message 1890 of 2,001