x

You need same day voids when you are keeping the fees on refund.

I have read that your setup does the "capture and settle" phase immediately when the card is charged rather than at the end of day when the terminal is faux "batched" out.

Meaning you don't do terminal voids (not counting voided orders). Is this true?

In the past this would have caused some customer confusion as our customers see multiple charges and the refund may take a few days to appear.

Now it's going to cause a lot of ill will from YOUR customers because you are keeping the fees on refund. I know "everyone" is keeping refund fees so you think you can get away with this, but everyone doing this HAS SAME DAY VOIDS. You need to implement that if you wish to keep the fees on refunds!

This is because keeping the fees from cashier mistakes is outrageous and will **bleep** off your customers.

I don't care how you implement it, if you have to, make same day refunds faster and don't keep the fee's same day. Would be better to not do the "capture and settle" phase till batch out so our customers statements are cleaner, but I understand how change can be hard. This terminal needs a void button that works before nightly batch out. Otherwise your app programers are going to get creative.

PS. I am a new customer and have not had time to look at the website api's yet, but I'm assuming you have a way to not charge a customer until we actually ship the order? Because again with the change of keeping the refund fees... this can lead to a fee disaster online if the customer is automatically charged when they checkout.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hello there @hudlee Welcome to The Seller Community, happy to have you join! 

Thank you so much for providing this feedback on the refund change, these are all valid points and I do understand the frustration with this policy change because all the risk falls on you now. But we will not be able to implement same-day refunds or batch these payments at end of the day, we follow the banking industry's refund timeline and in order to be compliant will have to stick with that. With Square Online there is currently no charge for a customer before you ship. When your customer goes and places their order they will be required to pay at that time, there is no workaround for that. I think you have a lot of good insight and if you would like you can post these requests on our Ideate board, where we track our feature requests, but I will be very honest with you, these will probably not be features Square does plan to change. I am sorry for any disappointment, Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 2 of 3

Thanks for the reply I understand that square is unlikely to add voids. I feel this is boiling the frog too quickly and will come with consequences for square.

I must make clear that "we follow the banking industry's refund timeline" is just a weak excuse and you could do faux voids by not keeping or returning the fees for refunds within a 12 or 24 hour time period if you wanted to.

The following two sentences seem to contradict each other:

"With Square Online there is currently no charge for a customer before you ship" &

"When your customer goes and places their order they will be required to pay at that time, there is no workaround for that"

So which is it? Is there a way (web api's) to put a "hold" on the charge at checkout and not actually charge until we notice the order, make sure the goods are onhand and ship? If you don't support this I'm using another payment processor for the website because any customer (or malicious programmer) can just order-cancel in bulk and fee bomb my website!

Thanks for the tip on the other board, I will post there after I know your api well 🙂

Message 3 of 3