x

Can Customer Feedback be accessed by a 3rd party?

The title of this thread has been edited by a Square Moderator from the original: "Can Feedback be Hacked?"

Is it possible that a customer's Square account could be "hacked" or "hijacked" by another person? We had a strange negative review the other day asking that we call the customer to discuss a "situation" at our Cafe. We gave the customer a call as they seemed pretty annoyed. When we reached him, he immediately apologized and indicated this is happening everywhere they use a credit card and a Square terminal. They have been called by several merchants as directed by the negative feedback left by their account. Has this ever happened to any of you? Is there a way for Square to track how/why this is occurring and fix it on the backend? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hi there @QBee, thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention.

Sorry to hear this happened. It certainly does sound strange...

I'm going to reach out to our Marketing Team who supports the Customer Feedback feature and see what their take is on this. I'll be sure to reach out to you again here once I've gathered more information to provide. I appreciate your patience in the meantime! 🙏

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

Message 2 of 3

If I had to guess: the customer's credit card is linked to someone else's phone number or email address (there's a lot of ways that could happen). Whenever your customer makes a purchase from a business that uses Square, the automatic receipt is sent to this other person. 

This person should click the link to say that this receipt isn't theirs, which would unlink their phone/email from your customer's card. Unfortunately, instead of doing the right thing this person is leaving negative feedback every time they receive a receipt that isn't theirs. 

Message 3 of 3