x

What is the difference between a USB and Ethernet receipt printer?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Receipt printers

What is difference between usb receipt printer and ethernet/usb receipt printer?

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

Hello @ganicho 

It all comes down to how the printer connects to the rest of the network.

USB printers require a computer (or in our case here a Square Stand, Register, or Terminal) to be able to connect. You plug it into the USB hub on the device and your Square App will see it right away.

Ethernet printers plug directly into your network. The app in any form can find it on the network provided everything is configured correctly.

USB/Ethernet printers just have both ports on the back so you can use it either way.

Which is better for your business? That completely depends on your setup. If you have multiple Square systems, you are better off using ethernet printers. USB printers are only accessible to the system it is plugged into. USB can be a lot more reliable than Ethernet though since it's directly connected.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Square Champion: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Champion

Best Answer

Hello @ganicho 

It all comes down to how the printer connects to the rest of the network.

USB printers require a computer (or in our case here a Square Stand, Register, or Terminal) to be able to connect. You plug it into the USB hub on the device and your Square App will see it right away.

Ethernet printers plug directly into your network. The app in any form can find it on the network provided everything is configured correctly.

USB/Ethernet printers just have both ports on the back so you can use it either way.

Which is better for your business? That completely depends on your setup. If you have multiple Square systems, you are better off using ethernet printers. USB printers are only accessible to the system it is plugged into. USB can be a lot more reliable than Ethernet though since it's directly connected.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 6

I have square register and when I try hooking up printer to ethernet it is not recognized.  Does Square have to be hooked to ethernet connection too?

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller Alumni

Hey @Madcad 

@Your square register does not need to be hardwired to Ethernet to work with an Ethernet printer, as long as the printer is connected directly to your router and your register is connected to wifi to the same network. 

Also double check that you’re using a compatible Ethernet printer. 

Hope this helps,

Pesso

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 4 of 6

Still trying to figure out which thermal printer to use. If I use usb will my cash drawer open automatically when ringing up a sale? Or should I stick with Ethernet since there is an Ethernet cord coming from it. Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
Square Champion

@SweetShop Both the USB and Ethernet printers are capable of opening your cash drawer. The cord coming out of the cash drawer isn’t Ethernet unfortunately, it’s more like a phone line. It plugs into the back of your printer. Pretty much every POS software out there knows to find the printer that has the drawer attached to it when it’s time to open the drawer. 

so in answer to your question about which printer, it really comes down to your configuration in your store. If you have multiple tablets that need access to that printer, you have to go with an Ethernet printer. USB printers are only seen by the system it’s plugged into. 

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 6 of 6