x

In POS on smartphone app, I'd like to see my items arranged by category.

I spent a lot of time adding categories to my items because I want to choose the category and then the item when I'm in POS. I only have a smartphone for taking sales at craft festivals and I sell 2 lines of jewelry plus art. One line has like 20 items I make in production so that's a lot to scroll through. Then they get all mixed together in alphaetical order.  

As a solution, I ordered all my items by putting numbers in front (01, 02, 03, etc) and then added a lot of variations. So that worked for a while, but I'd like my invetory to be a little cleaner and easier to search so I can see what's selling. 

At this time, I need a new phone, don't really have the budget for an ipad yet. 
Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

The phone app is limited and only shows a list of items.  Categories only show up on the tablet version of the app.  The best way to find your items is to use the search just above the item list.  Start typing the name and you will see the list change.  Sometimes just typing the first letter will filter the list enough for you to select the item you need.

You may look into getting an iPad.  This will also give you the grid option for you to lay out buttons for your items and/or categories.  Depending on your phone and plan you can use your phone as a hotspot and connect the iPad to it.  Or you can get a Cellular iPad.  Most plans are just $10.00 to connect to your cell plan.

Message 2 of 4
Square Community Moderator

That's definitely great feedback @Lou1 and it's a pretty popular feature request. 

I don't have an update on where we're at with this at this time, but I'll be sure to raise it to our Product Team and chime back in if anything new comes up. 

An iPad would definitely solve a lot of your trouble here, as you can use the favorites page to customize your item locations. 

Hopefully we can get something implemented in the near future that helps organize items a bit better, however the workaround you're currently using with the numbers is the most common among sellers. 

Message 3 of 4

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "can the item inventory be displayed by catergory" The author has been notified via email.

I want to display items by catergory instead of aphabetically to make them eaiser to find.  Is this possible?

Message 4 of 4