x

Does Square support Green Dot Bank?

Hi I have a go bank account I think it's with Walmart and I would like to know can I use that account.

Message 1 of 19
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Good question! Because Green Dot is a pre-paid bank card, we cannot support Green Dot. 

You'll need actually need a transactional bank account (one that allows for both deposits and withdrawals), since prepaid cards (like your Green Dot) aren't supported. Sorry for the inconvenience!

This is because, as a seller, you'll need to support refunds and chargebacks. To learn more, check out our article on linking and editing your bank account.

Congrats on starting your business!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Square

Best Answer

Good question! Because Green Dot is a pre-paid bank card, we cannot support Green Dot. 

You'll need actually need a transactional bank account (one that allows for both deposits and withdrawals), since prepaid cards (like your Green Dot) aren't supported. Sorry for the inconvenience!

This is because, as a seller, you'll need to support refunds and chargebacks. To learn more, check out our article on linking and editing your bank account.

Congrats on starting your business!

Message 2 of 19

That's not necessarily the case.   I have a GoBank account through Green Dot.  It functions like any other checking account.  I have my pay direct deposited, I get instant deposits from Uber applied through my associated debit card.  
That said, Square still seems to think it's a non transactional account because they're calling my routing number as not supported by their system,  Unfortunately I'm gonna have to use PayPal to take payments if Square can't/won't work with this bank

Message 3 of 19

What banks does square accept?

Message 4 of 19

Hello @MRSCAMPBELLC28

Square supports transactional bank accounts for deposits. A transactional account can receive credits and debits. Typically if a bank has brick and mortar location the account will be supported. If you use an online bank it might be supported, but the only way to know if to give it a try! 🙂

Message 5 of 19

Link cash card prepaid bank account

Message 6 of 19
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Loris 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread where Sellers were also asking about adding prepaid bank accounts and cards to their Square account. Unfortunately, we cannot connect prepaid accounts to Square. This Best Answer from Kelly will give some more insight. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 19

Still not connected to bank 

Or finding help, answers

Message 8 of 19
Alumni

@Loris - are you trying to connect a Green dot bank acct? 

Justin
Message 9 of 19

RigoHi My name is Rigo & i am running a barbershop out of my home. I just recently jumped on the square reader band wagon. Now i do not have an actual bank account. But i do have my prepaid Green Dot visa card. I tryed to link my card to the square but its asking me for routing, account plus another account number. That third account number i dont have. How can i activate & finalize my square reader so i can get to use it? I did a test swipe, it asked me how much i was chargeing & i put $15.00 now i dont kno if i completed the transaction or what happend to the $15.00 because its not on my card!!!

Message 10 of 19
Square

Hi @Rigo — Welcome to the Seller Community! As for your question, it looks like another seller had the same question, and received an answer. Check out this thread for more details. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 11 of 19

I already made a few transactions, how would I be able to get the money that I made on my account?  Do y'all have a card? or do I get  a mailed check?

Message 12 of 19
Square

Apologies to hear about the confusion, @Mowa

I moved your post to another thread on the topic. We do not offer a card ourselves, but you will need to link an different bank account (even if it's a family member's or business partner) in order to receive the deposit. Feel free to contact our Support team directly if you need a hand!

Message 13 of 19

I use Square to collect rent. I couldn't process a payment from a GoBank card. Why not? I tried card reader and manual entry. Kept getting "card declined, try another card."

Message 14 of 19

Hi @jtrummp,

I moved your post to an existing thread on Green Dot cards.

We don't accept them for payment or for instant transfers. You can see a list of our accepted card brands here from the Support Center. 

Ashley C
Message 15 of 19

Square support,

I really don't understand why you all cannot connect a Walmart Money Card via GreenDot Bank. I have a legit routing number and account number through them, I am able to have direct deposits made into the account, and debits/credits can be made. It operates exactly the same as other bank accounts. I do not bank locally, as we are military... so the convenience of being able to make deposits at a local Walmart are why I opened the GreenDot account. Seems like I should be able to link my Square. Frustrating, to say the least. All of my business transactions go through that account.

Kind regards,

Amy Fisher

Message 16 of 19

Welcome to the Community, @4FISHERS

GreenDot accounts cannot be used because it is an internet bank which means it doesn't have a brick and mortar location. 

Also, prepaid cards cannot be attached either. It's part of the banking regulations that Square has to comply with. 

Appreciate you reaching out about this for more information. 

Kassi
Message 17 of 19

Can you use green dot bank for my square.

[This post was moved by a moderator from the event titled "Meet the Order Manager product team: Which workflows are most critical to managing orders? 📨🧾".]

Message 18 of 19
Admin

Hey @Billbaby1 — thanks for reaching out. It looks like a few other sellers had a similar question about Green Dot and I moved your post over to this discussion. Have a look at Kelly's best answer for more details. Hope this helps clear things up for now!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 19 of 19