x

Sales tax: Do have to charge tax and do I have to report to IRS?

So I just saw the sales tax part and I was wondering If that was mandatory to do and if I do have to charge tax do I have to report to IRS 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Champion

short answer: yes, Sales tax is mandatory.

long answer: not every item is taxable and some items are taxable at different rates (food is usually lower compared to general merchandise) and most items are exempt from sales tax if you are selling it to someone who is then going to sell it and collect sales tax.

Now the bad news, we can't tell you what you need to do in your town/county/state so you will need to either research it on your state's website or contact a local branch to find out what you need to be charging.  there are lots of good websites dedicated to sales tax so Google is your friend.

And yes if you collect sales tax you have to report the amount sold and the amount collected.

Message 2 of 4

I understand Square doesn't file quarterly sale tax report for their customers, but would it not be very easy to run a "custom" report for the quarter to determine your sales and tax paid and then we just sent that amount in to satisfy our tax responsbility?

Message 3 of 4
Square Champion

Message 4 of 4