x

Print Cash Receipts from Square Terminal

I don't seem to be able to print receipts for cash transactions from the Square Terminal. Is there a way to do this?

It's our only receipt printer - and to order another printer would be like an additional $400. I thought this was supposed to be an all-in-one setup?

Message 1 of 13
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @Sspartshouse ๐Ÿ‘‹ Thanks for following up on this thread.

We actually just launched this feature globally on August 3rd. You can find instructions for printing receipts from the Square Terminal, including for cash transactions, here.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions ๐Ÿ™‚

cc: @weloveart @lenjobakes @DirectorBAC

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Square Champion

Hi @weloveart,

I think I can help with this!

Even though there is a printer in the terminal, it still needs to be configured.

If you go SettingsHardwarePrinter you should see a list under "Use this printer for".

Select "receipts" and turn the toggle on beside "use this printer for receipts".

When the toggle is in the on position, another option "Print receipts" will come up with "Manually". Tap "Manually" and you can select to have receipts printed "Manually" or "Automatically". If you choose manual receipts, you have the option to ask your customer if they want a receipt once the transaction goes through.

We used this option because most people didn't want a receipt and it meant we weren't wasting receipt paper.

There is also an option to do a "Print test" once you access the printer settings to see if your terminal is malfunctioning in some way.

Try this out and let me know if it works for you! Be sure to tag us (@ and type my name) so we can see your reply!

Lenore
LenJo Bakes in Kitchener, ON
Let's connect on Instagram!
Message 2 of 13

I appreciate your reply, but I think you may have misunderstood.

Our Terminal is set-up to print receipts manually as you described. I am able to print receipts from the Square Terminal for credit card and debit transactions, but it won't print for cash transactions. The Terminal does not get engaged for cash transactions, so for customers paying cash they don't interact with the Terminal, yet I still want to print a receipt for them. 

I don't think there is any way to do this with the Terminal.

Message 3 of 13
Square Champion

Hi @weloveart,

Thanks for clarifying.

Luckily you won't have to invest any additional money for a printer! The terminal can definitely print receipts for cash transactions. I rustled up my old terminal and made sure.

20220209_173046.jpg

The steps to print a cash receipt are as follows:

1. Ring up your transaction.

2. Hit review sale. (We have this screen active.)

3. Hit charge.

4. (We have a tip screen, so we press "x" to back out of this.)

5. Hit cash.

6. Enter the amount taken, hit "Tender."

7. Hit "print" when it asks what method you'd like the receipt issued in.

Your customers need not interact with the terminal, but you will need to enter the transaction into the terminal in order for it to print a receipt. You can do this whether or not your "cash management" feature is turned on.

(You'll also want to ensure that "Cash" is set up as an accepted payment type on the terminal. SettingsCheckoutPayments types > toggle "Cash" on.)

Now that we know this can for sure be done, give it a go and let me know if you need any more help with your Terminal ๐Ÿ˜Š

Lenore
Message 4 of 13

Thanks again, but I think I should clarify - we are using the Terminal with the Square Stand. So the employee will ring up the transaction using the iPad and Square Stand, and the customer completes the transaction (for cards transactions using the Terminal. 

When we ring up cash transactions using the Stand, the terminal doesn't engage because for those transactions you don't hit "Continue" to Terminal. 

Any idea on how to print a receipt for a cash transaction with this set-up?

Message 5 of 13
Square Champion

Hi @weloveart!

Thanks for that clarification.

Unfortunately if you're using the terminal as a dedicated customer display, then you wouldn't be able to use the printer for cash transactions as per this article:

lenjobakes_0-1645549939440.png

If you did end up investing in a separate printer, I'd be happy to provide feedback on the one we use here at my shop!

Lenore
Message 6 of 13

Yes, I'm looking for a bluetooth receipt printer that is compatible with this set-up. Thanks.

Message 7 of 13

Currently trying this, however the there's nowhere to "toggle cash on". The menu goes Settings > Checkout > Payment > and then Cash is already selected under Main Payment Types. And "Print" is not an option when selecting how the customer would like their receipt. 

We are using an iPad as the employee facing system, and the terminal for the customer facing system. With cash, they're not doing anything on the terminal of course. But many of them still want a printed receipt.

Message 8 of 13

Hello @DirectorBAC,

Thank you for reaching out with this inquiry. At this moment that feature is not available, but it does look like our team is intending to roll this out in the future, I do not have an eta I can provide. Thank you so much for your patience while we work to get this resolved! 

Message 9 of 13

Has this issues been resolved and if so, how do you accomplish it?

Message 10 of 13

Best Answer

Hi @Sspartshouse ๐Ÿ‘‹ Thanks for following up on this thread.

We actually just launched this feature globally on August 3rd. You can find instructions for printing receipts from the Square Terminal, including for cash transactions, here.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions ๐Ÿ™‚

cc: @weloveart @lenjobakes @DirectorBAC

Violet
Message 11 of 13

Very nice feature, I just buy the Square Terminal to use it as a customer screen for my Square Stand and print receipt for my client ( cash and card ) and it work great !

The only thing missing, on my Square Stand ( iPad ) when I go in a pass transaction ( transaction history ) and I try to do " new receipt " I don't have the option to print the receipt via the square terminal like when I do a live transaction !

That will be VERY USEFULL especially when we do refund or when we need to print a second receipt for a special transaction ( warranty etc ) 

Message 12 of 13

Hi @StudioMobile - Thanks for following up on this thread.

I spoke with a member of our hardware team and they confirmed that printing receipts from the Transactions menu while your Square Terminal is connected to a Point of Sale is not available at this time.

Iโ€™ve shared your feature request with our Product Team, as they are constantly improving our products based on feedback like this. To learn more about how feature requests work, please see this post from one of our Seller Community Moderators. 

In the meantime, keep an eye out for any updates in our Seller Community. We appreciate your input! ๐Ÿ™‚

Violet
Message 13 of 13