x

iPad 7th Generation and Square Stand

Does anybody know if the current version of the Square stand work with the newly announced 7th gen iPad?  If not is there a plan to update the Square stand?

Just curious for the future.

Message 1 of 44
2 Best Answers
Square Champion

Best Answer

The next iPad coming out Sept 30 will not be compatible with the Square stand as it is 9.8" x 6.8" vs the previous standard size of 9.4" x 6.6", so it will not fit in the stand.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 44
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @cbenson

At the time, it doesn't look like that iPad is listed as compatible.

The list of compatible iPads for the Stand is as follows: 

• iPad (6th generation 2018)
  • iPad (5th generation 2017)
  • iPad Pro 9.7”
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPad Air (1st generation 2013)

The charging port and size of the newer iPads are a tad bit different so they're unfortunately not compatible with the Stand for those reasons.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

Apple announced the new 10.2” months before it was released! Square should have already had a new stand ready to go when the new iPads hit the market. What kind of Mickey Mouse company are you guys running?! It is only a matter of adjusting the size, absolutely nothing else! New iPads are the same so internals of the stand stay the same

Message 22 of 44

Add me to the list of people who are scrambling for an option now that one of our iPads died and I just realized that I can't buy a new iPad that is compatible with the stand.

Further complicating things for us is that we are required to buy from CDW so that we can enroll our Apple devices in the "Device Enrollment Program".  CDW doesn't have the old models anymore so no way to get one since other sellers aren't an option.

Message 23 of 44

Thanks for adding your voice here, @ITCalvarySTP. We appreciate your feedback, always.

In the event that there are new changes to Square Stand iPad size capacities, we will be sure to update everyone here. If you are looking for a previous iPad model, we also recommend reaching out to third party retailers such as Amazon, Best Buy, or even eBay.

Thanks for hanging tough!

Joe
Message 24 of 44

Is there some kind of adapter that one could use to go from iPad 7th gen to the square stand?

Message 25 of 44

Hi there, @CilantroAndLime 👋 Thanks for adding your voice here.

We are not aware of any accessible adapter for incompatible iPads with the Square Stand, however, hopefully another one of your peers came jump in and suggest a workaround.

We will keep a close eye on this thread! 

Joe
Message 26 of 44

I’m very confused. Let me get this straight. You send an email out that you won’t support older iPads. I’m finding it very hard to find a compatible iPad that’s reasonably priced. (There is no reason to buy a 128 Gb model.) And you don’t sell a stand that works with the new iPad? I’m I missing something?

Message 27 of 44
Admin

Sorry for the confusion @paintedgrape. You're correct in that we haven't developed a new stand for the newer generations of iPad. I'm really sorry for the frustration that causes. I know a lot of sellers who have bought refurbished iPads that were reasonably priced and worked well. 

If our team comes out with a new stand to support additional devices, we'll let you and others know about it here in the Community.

nika
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 28 of 44

How is this not a bigger priority? We are actively looking for a solution for many locations and now the 6th gen refurbished iPads are $50-$80 per unit more expensive than the current 10.2 7th Gen Ipad. If this is not remedied in short order, we will be finding a completely different hardware solution for all of our locations.

Message 29 of 44

Hi there, @TX_Whiskey - thanks for joining the conversation here. 

You should feel empowered to do what is best for your business - and we understand that you will. We field thousands of feature requests each week here on the Seller Community, and bringing these features to fruition often takes an ample amount of time and effort from our engineers. 

We will continue to update this thread as we have more information to share on a new Stand.

Joe
Message 30 of 44

Thanks for your reply.  I appreciate the response, but I have to say that with it being 6 months after the release of the 7th generation iPad, I feel like we are to assume that there will not be a new stand designed centered around this generation of iPad.  The specs of which were available months before the release. Is that a fair assessment?

Message 31 of 44

No the older models are more expensive! The new 10.2” I can get for $99.... time to start shopping for a new processor 

Message 32 of 44

How is this not your top priority to get a stand that actually fits the iPads on the market lmao... smdh

Message 33 of 44

@GotVinylOnline - We would consider this a priority currently for our Hardware development and Product teams. We will be sure to continue to update this thread as more information is available.

Joe
Message 34 of 44

I just received my new stand as well.  My excitement turned to frustration when I couldn’t fit my iPad into the stand.  After research on square troubleshooting, I found that the stand is not compatible with my new iPad.    So I am so disappointed!  Thought it was going to make my life easier...   

Message 35 of 44

Add my frustration to everyone else's. Not being ready with a new stand to fit latest generation iPads being produced for over 6 months is quite lame. Someone on your hardware development team needs to be fired for missing this one. Apple publishes the specs on their new iPad many months before they come out.

Message 36 of 44
Super Seller Alumni

I definitely agree that a new stand to fit the iPad would be super cool and helpful to a lot of sellers.

However, @CopperMuse , just as a note, Apple in fact generally does not publish the specs or any other information about their new iPads before they come out. Sometimes there are leaks, but leaks can be unreliable and false, would would mean development & production time & money would be wasted if they were not true.

They share software information to Developers, but not hardware.

Granted, it has been several months since the newest one came out.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 37 of 44

Noted, @CopperMuse. We will continue to make updates to this thread as we have more information to share.

Joe
Message 38 of 44

Message 39 of 44

Currently working on a project to get a current iPad to work with square stand.  We attached a lightning extension cable from the stand to the iPad.  Next step is to purchase a case and determine a method to connect the case securely to the stand.

IMG_3271.JPG

Message 40 of 44

Keep us updated on your findings, @Gift_Shop!

It's important to note that some older iPad versions won't be able to run a current version of iOS, so while you may not run into any hardware issues, you may be limited in terms of software.

Joe
Message 41 of 44

Will my IPad Gen5 continue to be supported?

Message 42 of 44