x

Conversion Tracking in Google Analytics & AdWords?

Hi,

I have entered my GA Tracking ID in the Tracking section found at the bottom of the Store>Setup page. I have also enabled Ecommerce & Enhanced Ecommerce Reporting in my GA Account & linked my GA Account to my AdWords Account. I have also entered my tracking snipit codes for Google Console & GA for my entire site in the Header Code section of Settings>SEO. 

Is this all I need to do for conversion tracking of sales to perform corectly in both Google accounts? 

Exactly what information is sent to Google?

Will each item purchased with the quantity & individual price along with the total purchase price be sent?

If not, can this be enabled & how?

And, what are the 3 additional "Custom Tracking" (cart page, payment page & receipt page) boxes under Store>Setup>Tracking for? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Hello! These questions might be something you'd want to check with Google support, especially regarding the Google Analytics functions. That code in the SEO section should apply to the site as a whole, so you shouldn't have any issues there.

Message 2 of 13

Hi Queso, I posted these questions on here because, after all, I am asking about integration specifically with Weebly, I'm pretty confident that if I contact Google Support about the Weebly platform, they will just refer me back to Weebly, That's why I posted these questions here. I hope that someone with a little knowledge with the Weebly platform may be able to provide a real answer & thereby avoid me being bounced back & forth.

Also, you did not even attempt to address the question I asked about how to use the 3 additional "Custom Tracking" boxes under Store>Setup>Tracking. And this is, without a doubt, specific to Weebly. In fact, the Weebly Help Center should already have an article addressing these boxes but, I have looked and could find none.

So, I hope that someone in the community will see this & provide some real answers.

Message 3 of 13
Square

Adding your analytics ID will provide the standard Google Analytics data as regular pages, but unclude each of the pages of checkout flow (cart, checkout, receipt). It won't provide information on products, price, etc.

To get that kind of info, you need to add additional code to the three fields for each page like what Google has here:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/ecommerce

Some of our customers have set this up, although I haven't done it personally myself so I can't provide much insight on it. People have also used other third party tracking services and included them in those fields, too.  In those scenarios you include the code just like you would if you were putting it in Settings > SEO > Header Code, except pasted into the field for whichever store checkout page you're tracking.

Message 4 of 13

Hi Adam,
Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate the information, good stuff.
Let me see if I correctly understand what you are saying. So, with my current setup, if a customer makes a purchase from my Weebly store a basic, single conversion tag will be sent to my GA account. Is this correct?

Could you also tell me when that conversion is logged? Does it happen when the customer reaches the "Thank You" for your purchase page?

I checked out the link you provided & I now understand why Weebly has not already provided instructions for those 3 additional Custom Tracking sections. It involves a lot of complex coding & the instructions are written in a foreign language; the language understood only by coding professionals. I am like the majority of the Weebly customer. I don't know or have any desire to know coding. That's why people like me turn to a service like Weebly; to easily build an inexpensive website or web store.

That being said, it would be nice if Weebly could provide documentation, written in plain English, for implementing these additional features in their platform. Weebly has already done a pretty good job of documenting the basic implementation of Webmaster Tools & GA so; why not complete the process with including these 3 sections? Or, better yet, why not make it all automatic based on our configured SEO Tracking ID, store products & choices of the degree of conversion tracking we desire?

I haven't yet checked into the 3rd party tracking services you mentioned but I intend to do so. I know absolutely nothing about these services so I was hoping you (or anyone reading this) could recommend 2 or 3 good services to look at?

Thanks again Adam &, if you don't mind, I would like to leave this post up for a while in the hopes that someone may be able to provide additional insight on configuring the 3 additional Custom Tracking sections. Actually, the only thing I would like to do is send the total purchase price to GA when a purchase is made. Knowing each item purchased would also be nice but not a necessity.

Oh, just a side note. The link you provided is for setting up what I'll call basic or standard Ecommerce Tracking in GA. I have enabled Enhanced Ecommerce Tracking in my GA Account & the instructions say you cannot use both. It is also obvious to me now that I am far from having Enhanced Ecommerce Tracking setup to track the results I desire. But from what I have read (& could actually understand) it seems like the Enhanced version provides many more tracking functions than what I want. And the Enhanced version may actually be harder to set up than the basic or standard version would be. 

Thanks Again Adam

Lenny

Message 5 of 13
Square

It's a great idea to leave this post up - I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to more advanced eCommerce tracking, and I'd love to see how people have integrated this with their site, too.  Thanks for posting this, @InTheWind.

Message 6 of 13

Thanks Adam, I really appreciate that & all of your support. And, thanks in advance to anyone who can shed a little light on this. 

Lenny

Message 7 of 13

I have added GA tracking in these fields, and it results in double counting of views of product pages in GA analytics. I contacted Weebly support about it and they told me to contact GA as if it was their issue (which I do not believe it is). Additionally, Weebly does not attribute correctly purchases to the correct traffic source. All pages related to product purchase (cart, thank you, receipt), are attributed to "direct" traffic, which makes it impossible to track your ecommerce data. Help documentation is bare, and support is useless. Disappointing...

Message 8 of 13

Hi timecurve,
I can definitely relate to your complaints concerning the lack of complete documentation in crucial areas. And, I too have had the same experience with the support staff. They do ok with basic questions but, as soon as you get the least bit advanced with your questions, the typical response is to either blame and refer you to the 3rd party or simply say "sorry but Weebly can't do that" and then advise you to hire a professional coder. It seems to me like Weebly support is not very well educated on the Weebly platform and the primary function of the support staff is to up-sell because they get real excited when they can offer a fix for a problem with an upgrade. That is why I have started posting questions here in the Community; in the hopes that someone more knowledgeable than Weebly Support may be able to answer some of my questions. And, I must say that Adam has already done a better job for this question than anyone in support would have done. I just can't believe they have not even made a feeble attempt to provide any form of instructional documentation regarding the 3 additional fields I have asked about here.

My guess is that to get yours purchases attributed correctly you probably also have to define those in GA as conversion goals. But, what do I know? That's why I desperately want to see documentation for this written in plain English.

Thanks for your reply timecurve
Lenny

Message 9 of 13

Have you gotten this to work?  The way the checkout page seems to be built - every step in the checkout flow has a url, /store/checkout.  As you move through the flow, it appends a book mark.  For example, /store/checkout#cart, /store/checkout#payment.  GA requires pages to be loaded so their widget can get fired off.  As it is today, if someone lands on the first page of your checkout flow, it will be recorded as a conversion.  

This is a known issue that was identified during my beta testing but it does not appear it has been addressed.  

Message 10 of 13

I have entereed the code for Cart, Payment and Receipt. The code snippet is provided by in your GA account. GA literally gave me the code to cut and paste in. I did not re-enter the GA UA porperty code in the store as that would cause it to appear on your website pages twice becasue you already provided this in the general weebly settings (Weebly should tell you that but they don't.) I did this 2 years ago and I'm not sure it still works this way. It worked for a while for me and I was getting conversion tracking. Lately it is inaccurate so this caused me to switch one of my websties over to WordPress with Woo Commerce. It is MUCH better now and I get all of the great sales tracking data and I did not have to cut and paste in the GA snippet conversion code. All I did was enter my UA- website code and gave permission for Woo to access my GA account. It seems to have pulled the rest automatically.

Message 11 of 13

Hi Weebly Admin,

I would like to ask about my website that has the submit button in the contact us page. If we opt not to have a landing page after clicking submit button, how do we track the 'submit' click in Google Analytics and Adwords, and also Facebook Pixel for the conversion purposes? Thank you.

Message 12 of 13
Square

I would be a lot harder to track if you don't use a thank you page, since I don't think there's an easy to wait modify or add something to the submit button itself. It's possible you might be able to do that with a third part form, although I haven't used one to know for sure:

https://www.weebly.com/app-center/search/form

Message 13 of 13