x

need to redirect my old URL weebly website to my new URL weebly website?

I have a live Weebly site but I want that domain to redirect to my new URL Weebly site. So I have a new URL and a newly designed website now I want people to be redirected from the old to new. How do I do that? Do I make like my new one first, then redirect the old to new? Just want to make sure I do this right

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square

Hi @inessenceva What is the old url and new url and where are they registered? If you have a new site linked to a new domain and you are also keeping the old domain, you will want to setup a domain forward for the old url to the new. 

Message 9 of 8

The old URL is inessenceinc.com the new is inessencevirtualassistance

Message 9 of 8

THey are both registered with yahoo small business

Message 9 of 8

Both my websites are hosted with weebly

Message 9 of 8
Square

You'll want to publish the site using the new domain as the site address, then have Yahoo set up a domain forward with your old domain that forwards to the new domain.

Message 9 of 8

Will forwarding the domains at the domain host create actual 301 redirects for every page on the old Weebly site?

If not, can this be accomplished if both domains are hosted by Weebly (as well as both websites?)

We know 301 redirects are necessary for preserving our Google rankings  from the old site, but we're also trying to avoid having to do 301 redirects for every single page - we have several hundred pages on our site.  The video directions for doing 301 redirects seem to say they have to be added for each page.

Message 9 of 8
Square

It depends on how your domain registrar forwards the domains, @ASP. We don't provide a way to do 301 redirects from one domain to another within Weebly (only from one page to another on the same domain), so it would definitely need to be done by your Registrar.

Message 9 of 8