x

Upgrading visitor ability search /filter videos on my weebly website

Hello wonderful Weeblies.
Thanks for this amazing community and the delightful asistance you get here.

Since lockdown, the nature of my website is really changing, from simply a window into our yoga studio to the studio itself. So I am well out of my comfort zone in metting the design challenges involved and taking it one step at a time. Basically there's going to be a huge increase in content I'm trying to manage in an intelligent and helpful way.

Thanks to advice here, I've learned to set up my courses and classes on blog pages, rather than standard pages, to reduce the number of pages in my the page list and tey and avoid getting hopelessly confused. That's involved learning how blog pages work which was new to me! I'm so glad I was pointed in this direction. It's going OK.

My next big challenge is working with searches and filters. I would like members to be able to search hundreds of videos for a range of criteria: class length - mood/energy level - experience level - the course a class belongs to - anatomy & physiology emphases - yoga posture category.

I've started using a filter app I purchased on the Weebly app store, which is great for filtering image links in a gallery into up to nine categories. But this isn't really enough categories for my needs.

I had a go enabling the search engine window in the Theme settings, but the search comes up with all kinds of other stuff, and not what I want it to come up with!

I am very inexperienced in understanding and working with file tags, and feel this may be key in giving my members a better search capacity. Is that right?

Could anyone help to point me in the right direction with these challenges? Thank you so much. The weebly community support forum is one of the joys of my life at the moment, as I'm in it up to my neck, working alone, and really value the help.

Kind regards
Frances

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Thank you Bernadette 🙂 
It would be lovely to sort into about 14 different categories, but 9 will do! I mean, people can pick a course from a seperate course menu and that reduces the 14 by 6 leaving me with 1 spare!

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square

Hi Frances. Can you link us to a page, or give an example of a specific search term? I noticed your blog page has a nice filtering app, but I'm not sure if this is something you added after posting this question. Smiley Happy Thanks! 

Message 8 of 7

Hi Bernadette
Thanks for your help!

Yes, the filter app... I've started using one I purchased on the Weebly app store, which is great for filtering image links in a gallery into up to nine categories. But this isn't enough categories for my needs - I need at least 12 filters. So I need a different means for members to filter out classes, based on the course they belong to, the time the member's got to practice and the level they're at. I thought maybe the clearest way to explain may be with a diagram... Attached JPEG. How can I pull this one off, do you think? 🙂

Thanks again for your support.
Frances

Message 8 of 7
Square

I'm not sure if it would be possible for someone to be able to use all three filters at once. I have seen sites that have accomplished something similar, but they used a lot of custom coding. Can you use multiple filter apps to at least create your 12 categories? 

Message 8 of 7

Ah Bernadette, thanks for this advice... I had a feeling this may be the case. Well I'm very pleased with the filter app I've got n every way, bar the limit to nine sections. Part of this learning journey for me is simply establishing my limits, which I think this enquiry has helped me to do.

I'm so appreciative of your suppport!
Frances

Message 8 of 7
Square

You're welcome! I'll send you links if f I come across any threads on here that might help you out. Heart

Message 8 of 7

Best Answer

Thank you Bernadette 🙂 
It would be lovely to sort into about 14 different categories, but 9 will do! I mean, people can pick a course from a seperate course menu and that reduces the 14 by 6 leaving me with 1 spare!

Message 8 of 7