x

Is Weebly Dying?

I hate to be the one to say it, but it seems like ever since Weebly was bought out by Square it has begun to stagnate.  We haven't seen any significant updates since the buyout, other than the option to transfer everything over to the Square editor.  I liked Weebly a lot when I first got my sites (I manage two Weebly sites for two different but affiliated organizations).  The drag and drop editor was a great tool, and we still got access to the site code.  Plus the ability to download and save our sites in code form was extremely appealing because it gave the option for easier transition to other hosts in the future (unlike most drag and drop editors that are proprietary, requiring you to completely rebuild your site from the ground up if you ever move).  Weebly had a lot of benefits and seem on the forefront of features and flexibility, which is why I chose it.

But then it got bought up by Square.  I have seen this once before, my first website was hosted by Webs (also a leading host at the time) but then it got bought by Vistaprint and when that happened all resources went into the Vistaprint-branded site editor, and Webs slowly died until it was finally deactivated for good.  Now it's happening all over again, Weebly is getting no new updates while the Square editor has become the priority.  Unfortunately the Square editor lacks many of the core features that the Weebly editor has (and I need), so it's a no-win situation.

Features that are STANDARD for ecommerce sites barely exist (or don't) on Weebly.  Like social integrations (being able to sell on Facebook and Instagram, first requested on Weebly in 2016 but still not available.  It is available on the Square editor though it should be noted); the ability to customize the checkout and site membership experience for our customers; the ability to have more options when it comes to offering site discounts; and I would love, LOVE it if there was a product type geared towards classes/events where you could put different dates as options and it would be smart enough to know when a date has passed and remove it as an option, and if it also automatically made a roster based on who signed up I would be absolutely over the moon.  But we aren't getting these features, we aren't getting any new features at all really.  Sure there are some third-party app integrations that are pretty cool, but these often are insanely expensive and just unsustainable for small businesses and startups.

So what is the solution here?  Are we ever going to get the Weebly we all want back?  Is it eventually going to die and we're all going to be forced over to Square?  Does the Square editor now allow access to the site code, the ability to download the site, and apps / features / integrations that the Weebly editor allows (When I first checked it out, it certainly didn't.  Hopefully things have changed).  But one thing is for certain, unless we start seeing some improvements and updates, companies like mine are going to have to start looking for another site host that offers these features.  In the constantly changing online business environment we have to adapt to survive, and Weebly just doesn't seem to care about that anymore.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

@London Is Weebly Dying?

Yes 

Message 7 of 26

Yes - now I cannot figure out if my account is in Weebly or Square - all of a sudden embedding YouTube videos has ceased to work. Please give us 2 years notice if you are closing Weebly - we need to know.

Message 7 of 26

It's been dead for the last few years, I would move on to Webflow, Wix, Squarespace or Wordpress if you can 

Message 7 of 26

I JUST noticed this youtube thing, as well...hmmn. Any further thoughts on this? My links show up and work in the editor, but published sites just have a blank space that should be occupied by video.

Message 7 of 26

This is the exact reason I'm here.  None of my visitors can see the one yt video I have on my website, yet I can see it fine on chrome and on my iphone on safari.  (on two different phones).  It's unnerving. 

It does give a message to "enable javascript".   So is this legit or in fact an error?  

Weebly will probably die since square bought it.  Or it will not be free anymore.  I used to use 000webhosts with webpage-maker so it looks like I'll go back to that soon.  000webhosts is 100% free. Webpage Maker isn't but I bought it years ago.  

Let me know if you can see it (or anyone)
My Website

Message 7 of 26

Kudos to you!! I am a real Weebly newbie and it was taking a lot of time to figure it out. Now Square has thrown a curve ball and I even bought into Square thinking that Weebly would have the nice design features and Square would make selling easier. Well I thought I could get them to work together myself and now I am in a big mess with the Library toggling between the two. 

vtartist
Message 14 of 26

Yep, both editors have features that we need to properly run a webstore, but they have them SEPARATELY because that makes sense.  Rather than combining them into one single awesomely powerful web editor we are left having to work with two lame ducks and have to bounce back and forth between the two.  It's really unfortunate and super frusterating.  I'm actively looking at alternatives to Weebly, especially now that support seems to be utturly non-existent.  But it would be nice if they suddenly got their act together and came out with all the features we've been asking about for these last several years.

Message 14 of 26

me too....I have a square library and a weebly site - have to import from square and update there but it doesn't pull through images, so I have to upload all the images to weebly. I tried square but didn't like the restrictions for the website design, went to weebly and purchased a template which is really nice. Spent time creating the site which works fine, only to realise its owned by square and won't integrate properly.  They put out a group test for migrating from weebly to square so I'm guessing weebly is going all together - having just purchased a template that's really bloody annoying - and its taken me ages to populate, design, upload images etc etc. Really annoyed. The test group started early 2021 and there hasn't been any progress.

I've tried contacting square for issues that relate to square - only to be told that because my site is on weebly I have to use weebly support - which is non existent and only relies on the kindness of the community to respond and try to solve issues. We're basically on our own to solve our own problems and figure things out ourselves, when we're paying for support through out subscriptions. Total rubbish.  I tried Wix as well but found their editor X to complicated and their basic editor to basic, so switched over. Now wondering if I should have just stayed with them tbh. Smiley Sad 

Message 14 of 26

Yep exactly, super frusterating.  We are in the process of migrating both our websites to Wordpress, thankfully the one good thing about Weebly is that it integrates well with Wordpress apparently and there are ways to move over entire sites.  Elementor offers good rates for hosting and provides a drag and drop editor for Wordpress.  Wordpress also has the added benefit of everything being totally custimizable, and they have direct integrations with web store software like Woo commerce.  This should finally give us the flexibility we need to do what we need to do with our websites and business.  Goodbye Weebly!

Message 14 of 26

Weebly was going down hill long before they sold out to Square, probably in preparation of the sale.
Message 14 of 26

Well this explains why there is now a bug in "add images" and there is no where to report it.

Message 14 of 26

Yeah, support seems to be the most recent casualty of the Square merger.  There used to be quite responsive moderators on here that answered questions, but they now seem to be on only rarely and many topics are going unanswered I've noticed.

Message 14 of 26

The update that came out last weekend is a slight glimmer of hope in the otherwise gloomy future of Weebly.  It's going to be annoying to have to bounce back and forth between Weebly and Square editors, but at least we will finally have access to the ecommerce tools we've been clambering for over the last 5 years.  I tried transitioning my Weebly store items to Square, but keep getting errors, and now today it's not working at all.  I posted on the Square help forum but have gotten no replies.  Support seems to have disappeared almost completely.  Would have been nice if we had gotten some heads up this update was coming, and that it actually worked once released.  Definitely close to being on my last straw with Weebly/Square and am planning to leave for another host if they don't get it together soon.  I'm paying way too much money to not have basic functionality and user support.

Message 27 of 26
Square

Hey @London 👋

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the bridge option! I think I just saw your post in the Seller Community, so I'll take a look at it and respond to you there. 😊 Or here.. whichever is easier for you. 

The issue you are running into may be better addressed by the support team, but I'll let you know if you need to reach out to them once I'm able to review the post. 

Message 27 of 26

@Bernadette thanks for replying, it's good to know you folks are actually still on here.  I did contact support, and they basically said I need to have two different email addresses, one for Weebly and one for Square.  Because apparently using the same address for both it can't handle.  Which is super annoying, because now notifications are going to two different addresses for the same platform, and I have to forward one to the other because of this.  A lot of extra fuss and steps for something that should be integrated, because essentially they are the same account.

Message 27 of 26
Square

Hmm.. let me look into that for you. I was under the impression that the bridge option allowed you to add the Square integration with the same login. 🤔 I may not be able to get an answer until the upcoming week since a lot of teams are unavailable over the weekend, but I'll come back to this thread as soon as I have more information for you. If you don't hear from me by midweek, please @ my name so that this thread pops back up in my queue! 😊

P.s. I know it seems we are not as active on here, but I promise we are trying. We've grown quite a bit since becoming Squares, and we're still navigating a bit of growing pains here and there trying to balance our time between both communities. At some point I'm sure it will be a much more cohesive and smooth process. 😊

Message 27 of 26

Thanks @Bernadette that's what I thought too, and thanks for the information.  I would very much like to use the same login for both if possible.  I am excited to move forward with this since it has the potential to give me access to the ecommerce tools I have been very much needing.  So if you are able to figure it out for me, I would very much appreciate it.  Thanks!

Message 27 of 26

Hello @Bernadette are there any updates on this?  I tried it again today and it's still not working.  I'm very eager to move forward with this as soon as possible so I can use the new ecommerce tools.  Thanks!

Message 27 of 26
Square

I sent you a private message, @London since we will not be able to talk about some of the account details on this public board. 😊

Message 27 of 26

I just saw it and replied, thanks!

Message 27 of 26