x

did anyone have problems accepting payments on 5/18/24

My square went down and would not accept payments about 1PM EDT on 5/18/24. I tried everything that I could think of to do and it would not come up. (boot, reboot, un bluetooth, re bluetooth, uninstall, reinstall, unpair, pair again) Not even offline. It just said reader issue on the screen. I had between 2 and 3 bars of strength with the cell signal so I do not think that had anything to do with it. I am a mobile food concession vendor so have to use cell signal (Verizon) to do transactions. About an hour later I did get it to come back sort of. I was able to take payments offline which of course is very scary since no way to confirm card is good. I heard from several other vendors at the event that they had problems too. Then heard today of someone that was at another place 60 miles away and they had problems too. Anyone else have this happen? Were you able to get back to being able to accept payments?

Message 1 of 9
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: did anyone have problems accepting payments on 5/18/24

Hi there, @funtimefoods - Welcome back to the Seller Community. I'm sorry to hear, however, that you had some trouble accepting payments on Friday 😔 Thank you for responding here, @VanKalkerFarms and @JK_Fiber_Art.

I double-checked our Status Page, that @JK_Fiber_Art mentioned. We did not have any reported issues on 5/18. If you're interested in receiving text or email notifications for issues posted on our Status Page, you can do so here, on your Square Dashboard.

I noticed that you posted back in October about having a weak signal to process payments on your cell phone and you were looking for a "cell booster" at the time. Did you ever find a solution to help with this? I am wondering if this could have someting to do with what you experienced Friday.

I'll keep an eye out for your reply.

1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

@funtimefoods, if you’re having trouble processing a payment, check out this article on Payment Failure Troubleshooting.

Here are some other helpful articles that may help in the future.

- Process Offline Payments

- Process Offline Payments FAQ

- Square Point of Sale App Troubleshooting

If the issue persists, please give us a call here.  Please let me know if you have any further questions.

View Best Answer >

Message 9 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square Champion

I just checked that day and between 12-1 central we did over 90 transaction in that window.  never saw a glitch personally that day

Message 2 of 9
Beta Member

Hi Funtimefoods,

Square does have a System Status site which have been quite helpful when things appear to act strange.  We bookmarked it to keep it handy.  Note, there were no system issues reported for that date.   Also, you mentioned Verizon - they also have a System Status site.   Since we use AT&T - we also use that to see if there's something affecting us.   (Just useful ideas for reference.)

Message 3 of 9

Hi there, @funtimefoods - Welcome back to the Seller Community. I'm sorry to hear, however, that you had some trouble accepting payments on Friday 😔 Thank you for responding here, @VanKalkerFarms and @JK_Fiber_Art.

I double-checked our Status Page, that @JK_Fiber_Art mentioned. We did not have any reported issues on 5/18. If you're interested in receiving text or email notifications for issues posted on our Status Page, you can do so here, on your Square Dashboard.

I noticed that you posted back in October about having a weak signal to process payments on your cell phone and you were looking for a "cell booster" at the time. Did you ever find a solution to help with this? I am wondering if this could have someting to do with what you experienced Friday.

I'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 9

My cell signal on that date stayed between 2 and 3 bars so I do not think it was that.

I never did find an absolutely great reviewed device to use to boost cell signal other than Starlink Rv/Mobile. But that costs $150 month plus the equipement--over $500.

Message 5 of 9

Also I did go ahead and put in my phone number for text updates for the system status so thank you for mentioning that

Message 6 of 9

Thank you for clarifying @funtimefoods. Are you still experiencing issues accepting payments?

Message 7 of 9

I work on weekends so I won't know until this weekend and I will be in a location about 100 miles from where I was last weekend. So not sure if it will happen again

Message 8 of 9

Best Answer

@funtimefoods, if you’re having trouble processing a payment, check out this article on Payment Failure Troubleshooting.

Here are some other helpful articles that may help in the future.

- Process Offline Payments

- Process Offline Payments FAQ

- Square Point of Sale App Troubleshooting

If the issue persists, please give us a call here.  Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Message 9 of 9