x

Printer is printing all categories

Hi community! Thank you in advance. 
I have connected my kitchen printer. I paid Square to design my menu. All categories are printing and I don’t want things like drinks, candy, snacks to print in my kitchen. Such a waste of printer paper. 
I have read I need to go to settings and hardware, then printers. My printer shows up. BUT when I click on it, it does NOT give me the option to choose the categories that print. Does it only let you choose the categories when you create the printer station? I’m so confused. 

Message 1 of 13
2 Best Answers
Square Champion

Best Answer

@Dragonfly2004  Sorry to hear you're having printer troubles!

I know app updates have been happening fast and furious over the last few weeks; first thing I'd recommend is checking to see if there is one for your device. Good chance that some back end configurations have changed and outdated apps can get confused quickly. Also, a log out and log back in to your account can sometimes solve random oddities since it forces the app to "phone home" to make sure your configurations are correct.

After that, the next thing I'd recommend is to try creating another printer profile for your printer. You should be able to configure the categories correctly there. If not, I'd recommend a call into support. They can dig into the back end of your account and figure out what is going on.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Square Champion: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 13
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @HanaleiBreadCo @Jay1 @Amanda_Bierock @ryanwanner 

Thanks for your patience as our engineers work on a resolution here. I wanted to provide an update. 

Sellers encountering this issue on Android mobile devices can now download app version 6.46.1 from the Play Store, which will resolve the problem.

The fix for the Square Register or Square Terminal is not yet available but will be released soon. We'll provide an update here as soon as it's ready.

In the meantime, sellers using Register and Terminal can save their categories without making any changes in More > Items > Categories > select any category > click "..." in the top right corner > Edit category -> Save.

Thank you for your patience as we work on a resolution. 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Square Champion

Hi @Biggies !

Yeah, getting the printers configured correctly can be a task, that's for sure. 🙂

Printer stations are set up on each tablet, so if you have multiple tablets you'll need to repeat these steps on every tablet:

-On your tablet, tap More -> Settings -> Hardware (if you have the ✔️Printers line at the top of the screen you can just tap on that one instead)

-Tap on your Kitchen Printer

-Look for the Printer Station section

-Tap Edit.

-On this new screen, tap on In-Person order tickets

-Scroll down to Categories to Print, tap on that

-Deselect the categories you don't want to print on your printer

-Do the same for the Online Order tickets section if you're using this tablet to manage online orders.

-Tap save.

You should be good to go after that! If you're still running into problems please let us know and we will figure out what else isn't quite right.

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 13

Thank you @ryanwanner ! 
mill let you know how it goes tomorrow! 

Message 3 of 13

I know this question was from years ago, but I'm having the same problem. My printer stopped printing the selected categories and now the only option it is giving me is to print all categories. It spontaneously made this change. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you

Message 4 of 13
Square Champion

Best Answer

@Dragonfly2004  Sorry to hear you're having printer troubles!

I know app updates have been happening fast and furious over the last few weeks; first thing I'd recommend is checking to see if there is one for your device. Good chance that some back end configurations have changed and outdated apps can get confused quickly. Also, a log out and log back in to your account can sometimes solve random oddities since it forces the app to "phone home" to make sure your configurations are correct.

After that, the next thing I'd recommend is to try creating another printer profile for your printer. You should be able to configure the categories correctly there. If not, I'd recommend a call into support. They can dig into the back end of your account and figure out what is going on.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 5 of 13
Beta Member

Me too!!! Very frustrating. The printer profile looks fine in the Dashboard. But in the actual Square Register it won't let me pick categories, and now everything is printing to the kitchen

Message 6 of 13

Same problem here, printing all categories and if I try to create a new printer profile I can only select all categories. 

This is happening on an android device that updated to the latest version yesterday.

My ios devices are running fine and as is my android phone running the previous version of the app. 

Signed out and signed back in but the problem sill persists. 

Message 7 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Thanks to all that posted on this thread! This has been identified as a bug, and the engineering team is currently working to resolve the issue. 

I do not have an ETA to share at the moment, however, I will do my best to post updates on this thread, including the resolution when it is found. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Message 8 of 13

Here's some additional info 

We have 3 square registers,  one updated to software version 6.46  last night and is now printing some categories (coffee) on ALL printers even though it is not supposed to print them on ANY printer.  This also happened a few months ago , but then went away when the registers updated from software 6.41 to 6.41.3.     Now when one register updated from 6.45.1 to 6.46 it returned.  Two of our registers running 6.45.1 do not have this problem.  Tech support is not very helpful,  they asked me to recreate printer profiles (we have 6 of them) and delete the old ones.  I believe I did this last time and it helped although I am not exactly sure.  But I will take better notes this time.  I agree, Square is not very good in this area.

Message 9 of 13
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @HanaleiBreadCo @Jay1 @Amanda_Bierock @ryanwanner 

Thanks for your patience as our engineers work on a resolution here. I wanted to provide an update. 

Sellers encountering this issue on Android mobile devices can now download app version 6.46.1 from the Play Store, which will resolve the problem.

The fix for the Square Register or Square Terminal is not yet available but will be released soon. We'll provide an update here as soon as it's ready.

In the meantime, sellers using Register and Terminal can save their categories without making any changes in More > Items > Categories > select any category > click "..." in the top right corner > Edit category -> Save.

Thank you for your patience as we work on a resolution. 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 10 of 13
Admin

Hi @Jay1, @Biggies,

Thanks so much for your patience while our team worked on resolving this printer issue.

The version 6.46.1, which includes the fix, has now been released on the Terminal and the Register. 

Let me know if you're still having difficulties !

Message 11 of 13

Problem solved, many thanks!

Message 12 of 13

This just started happening again today ...  the register it is happening on has been running 6.47 for at least a week with no issues.   I will try creating a new kitchen printer profile and switch to it, and then reboot.

Message 13 of 13