x

Nothing happened when I put a card in Contactless chip reader

I have done all the troubleshooting suggestions. I have an iPhone 11 Pro and my chip reader is connected via Bluetooth. When I go to charge a card the 1 green light pops up, I insert the card, and nothing happens. It doesn’t try to process, it doesn’t do anything. Eventually it peeps with 1 red light. I have tested this on WiFi, a hotspot, and using my phones cellular data. Can someone please tell me why it’s not working

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Ashleyharre

Thank you for trying all of the troubleshooting steps!

How long have you had your reader? If it's under a year old - you are eligible for a warranty replacement. You can start that process here

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

I have only had it for a month and have tried to use it for the first few times last week. I had to manually enter each transaction. I just want to get clarity on if the contactless chip reader should work based off my phones cellular data OR if I need to have my phone connected to wifi. Where I work I currently don't have internet set up so I would be taking all my payments via my phones cellular data. When I do manual transactions through my cellular data it does work so assuming it should work with the contactless chip reader as well. I have heard mixed things and want to know if I need Wifi or if my phone data will work. I did already request a replacement so I will see what happens when that arrives.  

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

@Ashleyharre

You will be able to use wifi or cellular data - whatever is the strongest 4G connection. Since yours is only a month old it would qualify for the warranty too. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4