x

Is there a PDF (or other all-in-one doc) of the Square User Guide?

I'm having a really difficult time migrating from PayPal to Square. Square is just so much more difficult to use, add items, etc. What should be simple is just mind-boggling to me, LOL. Like... how do I simply add multiple quantities of the same item...? And questions like this lead me to wonder if there is a PDF of the entire Square user guide that I can read and search. I'm not looking for a webpage with individual topic links, but rather a comprehensive guide I can read and digest. Anyone know of such a thing?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Beta Member

Unfortunately there's no all-in-one complete guide (that would be nice of course).   Basically, there's a series of various help articles, one has look for a specific topic.  You can use this one as a starting point.  It has links to other areas.  And Square is different from PayPal - about the only thing in common is that they both are transaction processing services.   If you visit Square's Support page, it does have quite a bit info which is broken out into various topics.  This is where most of us got our start.

Message 2 of 6

Yep, I tried that but it's of very little help. By staggering the list into individual links I find the online help resources basically useless. Not gonna lie, I'm really disappointed. Thought this would be much easier than PayPal. Have my first major show next weekend and still no idea how to add multiple quantities of one item, it won't let me do a test sale (even though it's the last thing on Square's "to do" list, LOL) and I have no idea why they keep wanting me to set up a website when I have my own. Ah well... guess I'll have to do the old "cash and checks only" sign at the show... Just can't stress over this stuff any longer - but thanks.

Message 3 of 6
Beta Member

No need to setup a website if you already have one - I'm not sure what you mean by multiple quantities of one item - are we talking about selling in lots like x amount for 5, etc. or different variations of the item.   Are you just planning to use Square's POS App ?   We've  done lots of shows and don't always sell the same items as they vary.  All we did was setup some generic items in our Square Account with no prices or inventory details.  For example we have one item called Misc - no price.  We use the "Notes" field for a few details, enter the price and since the Tax has already been setup it's automatically added to the subtotal - very simple and easy.   We used PayPal for years - selling both in person and online - Square works much better.  Yep there is a learning curve as with any transaction processing service.   And there's nothing wrong with Cash - no fees 😉

Message 4 of 6

Apologies on this delayed response - and thanks for yours. I'm trying to make links for my website. Some items I make (such as greeting cards using my original art) are not "one offs." Original art I obviously make only one of. The items I use it on (cards, journals, bookmarks, etc.) I sell quite a few of. But, when I create the item description in Square (which is required to generate the "buy now" link for my website) it appears I actually have to duplicate the item again, and again, and again, rather than just simply saying how many of each item I have in stock. I know that likely sounds convoluted, LOL, but it's the best way I can describe it. To be honest, at this point I'm so overwhelmed creating my Halloween/fall/holiday designs that I haven't been working on my site for a few weeks - but I need to resume in the near future and will just figure out what to do then. Honestly, I'll probably just stick with PayPal for my online sales. It's so much easier to create a cart and, as much as I hate supporting that company, I just don't have time to invest in the learning curve Square requires. But, again, thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Message 5 of 6
Admin

Hi @SHArtist, welcome to the Seller Community. 

As @JK_Fiber_Art (thank you for assisting here 🙂), there is no downloadable guide. All our resources are available in the Support Center, which you could copy and past into a document, and print if you'd prefer.

Seeing as you're still in the early set-up stage, the article Get Started Guide might be helpful to you. It is broken down in different categories, including one about the Dashboard library setup

You mentioned that you're unable to do a test sale on your app. Are you getting any error message ?

Message 6 of 6