x

Creating an online checkout link resulting in an unexpected error

Attempts to create an online checkout link are not working...each time I submit, I get a pop up window “We encountered an unexpected error.  Please try again later.”

I get this response regardless of the selected “Purpose of Link” or how much “later” I wait.

What’s up?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Tahoe! Thanks so much for reaching out here on the Seller Community. So glad you let us know about this issue.

This is an interesting one, indeed. Due to Online Checkout Links being a newer feature within the Square ecosystem, I want to make sure this gets flagged over to our Support Team for further troubleshooting. Would you mind reaching out to our Support Team by phone? They should be able to take a deeper dive into the discrepancy and make sure everything is functioning correctly.

Thanks so much! We look forward to hearing from you.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 11

THE LIMIT IS $2,000. Nowhere do they indicate this, and I just spent hours on the phone troubleshooting this with a Square rep. She was finally able to consult with someone who finally mentioned, off-hand, that the limit is $2,000. 

I verified by lowering my amount to exactly $2,000 and it worked.  Joined the community here to spread the word and hopefully save someone else some time. 

Message 3 of 11

I am having this problem. I tried about a week ago and got this same error message. I tried it just now and I am still getting this message. I have tried all three options to create a checkout link and they all result in this error message. I would really like to use this. Any ideas?

Message 4 of 11
Alumni

Have you tried reaching out to our Support team yet, @rettacat?

As mentioned by @Joe above, you'll want to reach out directly if you've tried following the directions and are still running into trouble when attempting to create a checkout link. Our Support team can take a deeper dive with you to figure out what's going on here!

Valentina
Message 5 of 11

I am also having this issue.  I created several links and when I try to checkout it says "There was an error. Please try again."   That error is not specific enough to tell me what the issue is or where to fix it.

Message 6 of 11

Hi @AFOH Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your checkout links! 

This thread is a bit old, so the previous issues the other sellers had may not apply to you. Did you see the error when creating  the link? Or, are you seeing it when attempting to check out from the live link? 

If you were able to create the link, can you please post it so we can look into this further. 

Thanks in advance! 

Message 7 of 11

I created the link fine for several items.  When I or a client trys to checkout it says "There was an error. Please try again."  I had a chat with customer service in which they had me make some changes that made no difference.  So I then tried to add it as an order online item and it still doesn't work.  I can send the item as an invoice but neither the link or order online work. 

Message 8 of 11

Hmmm 🤔 Can you post the link or website URL here? You can also send it to me in a private message if you prefer.

Message 9 of 11

I am having this same issue, was there any resolutions? here Is a link I created https://square.link/u/HDyFM2I4

Message 10 of 11

Hello @BOlson 👋

At this time, Payment Links are experiencing a disruption, which is why your customers are unable to process a payment via the link. 

Our Status Page has more details regarding this disruption. 

Thank you

Frances
Message 11 of 11