x

Cannot connect to a rooted device (that is not rooted)

Hope someone can help me. My card reader is refusing to connect to me Samsung S20 FE, despite it being on the compatible devices list. I keep getting a message telling me that the reader cannot connect to a rooted device. My phone is not rooted.

Phone runs android V12 and Samsung one UI V4.1. I've updated the app and all phone software. 

Any advice on how I can achieve a connection?

NB Card reader is brand new and will connect to a device running android 11 and one UI 3.1

Message 1 of 14
Report Inappropriate Content
2 Best Answers

Best Answer

Fixed it!!!!

I read https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Troubleshooting/Secure-Session-Denial/td-p/334581 and that had the answer. I followed these steps:

• Root the phone and switch developer options on. 
  • Launch the app. 
  • Connect a reader
  • App advises that it does not have a developer mode
  • Unroot the phone by switching off developer options
  • Click OK on the App
  • Card reader connected and I was able to take a payment

Perhaps this technique could be added to your customer support knowledge base? 

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 14

Best Answer

I need to reopen the thread Alegra. Unfortunately, the solution only worked for one transaction and then reverted back to believing that the device is rooted. I still can't take payments on my S20 FE

View Best Answer >

Message 12 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Admin

Hello @Dalt1, welcome to the Seller Community. 

Sorry to hear this issue has brought you here. 

The message that you're seeing saying your device is rooted may be related to Developer Options being enabled on your phone. Apps to check the rooting of a mobile device also need to be uninstalled from your mobile device before you can connect a Square Reader.

It may be worth following the steps in this article that explains how to unroot your device and then attempting to connect to the Reader again. 

After doing so, lets try to connect to the Reader again with the following steps in order: 

Open Square Point of Sale App:

1) Settings > Hardware > Card Readers > forget all card readers

2. Force-quit Square Point of Sale App

3. Open device settings

4. Navigate to Bluetooth

5. Forget all Square Readers

6. Hold the button on the reader until the lights flash red

7. Reboot the Device

8. Re-launch Square Point of Sale app, wait 1-2 minutes, and re-pair the reader

Let me know if these steps help get you connected! 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 2 of 14

Hi Alegra, unfortunately this did not work.

My device is not rooted, the link that you provided on how to unroot confirms that. 

I did note that another user with a samsung S20 FE updated to one UI v4.1 has the same issue, see https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Troubleshooting/How-to-resolve-the-error-message-that-phone-is-ro...

I've tried the advice above but still can't connect as the reader incorrectly believes that my phone is rooted 

Message 3 of 14
Admin

Thanks for trying @Dalt1, sorry to hear this hasn't resolved the issue 😞

I'll leave some additional troubleshooting below, if you'd like to have another go at it: 

1. Navigate to Settings > Developer Options on your device.
  2. Toggle Developer Options off.

If you can’t see the Developer Options menu:

1. Tap About Device.
  2. Tap Build Number 7 times.
  3. You will see a prompt on the screen indicating developer options are enabled.
  4. Tap the back arrow to navigate back to Settings.
  5. Tap Developer Options.
  6. Toggle Developer Options off.

This will disable Developer Options on your device. Please open the Square Point of Sale app and try to connect your reader again.

And then follow the pairing steps from my previous message. 

Let me know the outcome either way, we should definitely be able to get the Reader connected to a Samsung S20 FE. 

Breffni
Message 4 of 14

Hi Alegra, 

I followed the steps described. Still no joy, see uploaded imageScreenshot 2022-04-28 192553.png

Message 5 of 14
Admin

Hmm. Do you have a different phone or device you could try connecting the Reader to @Dalt1? And then trying again with the new phone. I don't think the issue is the Reader but it would be good just to do a test. I've found that sometimes repeating the process a few times ends up resolving the issue.. apologies again though, I know this isn't a great experience. 

Breffni
Message 6 of 14

Hi Alegra, I have two readers. Neither of them work with my S20 but both work, without any difficulties, with my wife's phone which is a Samsung A10 plus. That isn't really a viable solution though as my wife needs her phone. 

I tried twice again this afternoon to connect to the S20 but still got the same error message.

Message 7 of 14
Admin

Thanks for testing @Dalt1, at this stage it may be worth giving our customer support team a call directly - the S20 should connect so we may need to have our engineers take a look at this one! 

Breffni
Message 8 of 14

Hi Alegra. I'm drawing a bit of a blank.

Your customer support weren't able to help and referred to my phone network vendor. They were unable to help and referred me to Samsung tech support. Samsung walked me through a lot of steps but none of those worked. hey referred me back here as square is a third party app.

I've found other posts for "Secure Session Denied" and "Device not supported" on this troubleshooting forum. Any suggestions please Alegra?

Message 9 of 14

Best Answer

Fixed it!!!!

I read https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Troubleshooting/Secure-Session-Denial/td-p/334581 and that had the answer. I followed these steps:

• Root the phone and switch developer options on. 
  • Launch the app. 
  • Connect a reader
  • App advises that it does not have a developer mode
  • Unroot the phone by switching off developer options
  • Click OK on the App
  • Card reader connected and I was able to take a payment

Perhaps this technique could be added to your customer support knowledge base? 

Message 10 of 14
Admin

Hi @Dalt1

YAY! 🎉 Thanks for letting me know and for all of your time and communication on this. 

I'll definitely raise this as suggested content for our Support Center, secure session denial comes up quite frequently. 

So glad you got there in the end! 

Breffni
Message 11 of 14

Best Answer

I need to reopen the thread Alegra. Unfortunately, the solution only worked for one transaction and then reverted back to believing that the device is rooted. I still can't take payments on my S20 FE

Message 12 of 14
Admin

Super strange behaviour @Dalt1, sorry to hear that. 

At this stage, we would warranty the Reader but since you've already tested it on other devices, we know that won't resolve the issue. 

After all of our troubleshooting, the next step would be to have our engineers take a look. This would mean contacting our support team again and going through troubleshooting again, they'll then be able to file the case for investigation. Really sorry that I can't assist more here. 

Breffni
Message 13 of 14

Switching Developer Options off does not constitute unrooting.

I've seen many banking apps which balk at being rooted (when they're not). The only solution is to install Magisk and actually root the phone, then engage enforceDenyList.

This is the first time I've come across an app that checks whether developer options are on, though.

When I got this message, I eventually worked out to turn Devoper Options off.

Having to turn it on, just so you can turn it off is stupid, of course. Just as bad as having to root your phone to prevent it being detected as rooted.

Only sane way would seem to be to get a cheap phone just for Square use. 

Message 14 of 14