x

Bug Report - Numbers don't fit on iPad's "Floating Keypad"

Greetings,

On an iPad (9th generation) running 15.6.1, when the user is using the "Floating Keboard" by default, this is what you get when you switch to the numbers keyboard by clicking the 123 button in the lower left corner.

Capture.PNG

I believe this is Square specific because when I click the 123 button in multiple other programs/apps, it doesn't display the same layout of buttons; every other program/app displays the traditional qwerty style keyboard - just with a variety of numbers and symbols.  Square is the only app so far that I've come across where it displays the "10 Key" layout.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Flopbot - Thanks for bringing this to The Seller Community

I'm more than happy to get this escalated for you right away. 

This screenshot will be very helpful in their investigation, thank you. 

If more information is needed, i'll be happy to pop back into this thread. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 12

Thank you @Ria!

Here are two more screenshots that might be useful for your team to track it down.

On iPad, this is what the floating keyboard looks like by default...

Flopbot_0-1666987460844.png

And this is what it looks like for most every other app I've come across when you click the 123 button...

Flopbot_1-1666987510654.png

Message 3 of 12

Thank you for providing these screenshots @Flopbot - i'm not curious to know if this is a Square issue or an Apple issue.

I'm happy to get our engineers to take a look into this for you right away. 

Ria
Message 4 of 12

Ria,

Best I can tell, this is a Square issue instead of an Apple issue.  The Square App is the only app I’ve found which switches the floating keyboard to a 10-key.  Thanks for sending it to your engineers.

Chris

Message 5 of 12

Anytime, I'm happy to pop back into this thread with any updates that I receive. 

Ria
Message 6 of 12

Hi, I finally have a little more info to share about this thread.  A couple weeks back I noticed on my iPad that the number keypad for entering a phone number switched to this.  It used to be like the second screenshot.

Flopbot_0-1705771091712.png

But, the number keypad for other areas of Square is still this.  Two of the most annoying are when you got to start/close a drawer and when you go to changing the price of an item, 

Flopbot_1-1705771161945.png

This makes me think more that this is something that only Square can fix.  The underlying problem isn't on iOS, it's on Square.

Could you please share this new information with your engineers?

Message 7 of 12

Hi there, @Flopbot! My name is Summer, and like Rita, I am a Seller Community moderator. 

Thanks for coming back and providing these details. I will definitely pass them over to our IOS engineering team and see what they have to say. 

Applications to the Square Champions program are open! Apply here before October 14th!

Message 8 of 12

Is there a fix for this yet? I literally cant pull money from the cash draw now. this is awful. We have to use numbers in Square all the time, how is this still a problem years later?

Message 9 of 12

Ping!  Still a problem!

Message 10 of 12
Square Champion

@Flopbot ;

I have been using Square on an Ipad since 2019 and have not seen this issue.  I did notice that your screen is the opposite of mine, mine are in Landscape and yours are in Portrait.   I am wondering how you get yours in portrait because I have tried to see if that is the issue.

I believe before if I picked up my Ipad and held it differently my screen did rotate but it no longer does.  It does rotate for other apps but not Square on my Ipad.  So I am wondering if this is some setting somewhere for Square app.  

I am an android user and just use the Ipad for my Square Stands, so I could be wrong but just giving you something else to look at.

This is my Receiving inventory Ipad and as you can see the Number pad for a Ending Drawer number pad is fine.

20240803_115735.jpg

I am using Square 6.48 (6480027) and IOS 17.5.1

Not sure if this makes a difference.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 11 of 12

@Candlestore ,

I'm not sure why your app won't rotate from landscape to portrait - mine still does with the same Square build of 6.48 - I'm sure it's a setting somewhere but I wouldn't know where to begin looking.

Click Here for a possibly helpful Square Community Post about Landscape vs Portrait on Android

Regarding the number keys, it looks like you're using the keyboard in the 'normal' full bottom mode.  On iPad, to see the number key like I'm seeing it, switch to a different app than Square (perhaps Apple NOTES), open up the keyboard and then click and hold this button until you see three options appear (Undock | Split | Floating).  Click Floating.  Then, return to Square app and try editing the price of an Item.

Screenshot 2024-08-03 at 1.12.34 PM.png  

I use floating 100% of the time since it's the only way on an iPad to use swipe typing - just one way Android is better than Apple.

To undo the keyboard and get it back to 'normal', just go back to Apple Notes, open the keyboard, long-click the keyboard button, and return it back to normal.

I suspect this is a problem that only affects users on iOS who use the Floating Keyboard.

Message 12 of 12