x

iPad camera barcode scanner not working 7th gen

The camera barcode scanner function on two 7th generation iPads (iOS 17.4.1) running square for retail version 6.41.3 stopped working, though it is still able to identify and scan QR codes. The barcode scanners on both my iPhone (12 pro) and iPad Pro (11-inch, 3rd generation) are working fine. All my devices are running iOS 17.4.1 and square for retail 6.41.3 with the new checkout experience.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app and restarted the iPad and the problem persists. The app doesn’t “flash” in recognition of the barcode or throw an error message; it simply remains passive as if I haven’t put anything in front of it to read.

what troubleshooting should I try next? Have others experienced this?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Square Champion

@marthasbookdepo ;

I also have Square for Retail 6.41.3 and was unable to scan a barcode today with my Ipad.  My Ipads are 9th Gen Ipads.  I had an issue with my scanner needing to be unplugged then plugged back in so I though I would try the built in camera, which did not work.  Then my regular handheld scanner connected so I did not try it again to scan on the Ipad.  I was thinking it could have been a bad barcode but my Scanner read it fine.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 10

We have same issue with our iPad that started after Apple and Square’s latest updates.

Message 3 of 10

I found a different iPad running 17.1.2 and Square for Retail 6.41.3 and the barcode reader worked fine.  I upgraded the iOS to 17.1.4 and retested - works fine.  The iPad that doesn't work is in a different office, so I have yet to validate the Retail app in iPad Settings to make sure that everything Retail needs does have rights.  

Message 4 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi @marthasbookdepo - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with your barcode scanner has brought you to the Seller Community.

Our engineers recently released a fix to address an issue with the Honeywell 1300G barcode scanner's connection. If you haven't already, please update your Square app to version 6.41.2.

If updating the app does not resolve the issue for you, please let me know. I'll keep an eye out for your response.

cc: @Candlestore @DougWi

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 10

Thank you, @_Violet.

My app is one version past the one you suggest.  I have version 6.14.3.

Is there a fix for this version?

Sincerely,

Martha 

Message 6 of 10
Square Champion

@_Violet ;

You mention the engineers fixed the Barcode Scanner Honeywell 1300G, but the issue I am having is with the Ipad Camera and reading Barcodes.  When my Zebra DS6878 needs to be unplugged and plugged back into the USB power brick of my Stand.  The Ipads Camera would take an image of the barcode and pop up the Item in the Cart just like a normal scanner does that is plugged in by USB to the Ipad.  This just happened with Square for Retail 6.41.3, and worked fine in previous version I had.  I do not remember the Square version number that it last worked in tho.  I dont know if I got each update to 6.41.3 or not.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 7 of 10

@_Violet,

this began Saturday morning. Friday afternoon everything was working fine. Saturday morning, the iPad camera barcode scanner didn’t work JUST on my iPad 7th gens. It was at that point that I upgraded the retail app to version 6.14.3 and that did not solve the issue.

Message 8 of 10
Square Community Moderator

@marthasbookdepo, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Some of this does sound off, but it's difficult to pinpoint what may be happening without looking at your account with you.

The fastest way to resolve complicated Square questions is by reaching out to our team directly. The best way to reach out is by phone because our team can look at your account with you and help you make adjustments in real time. 

If you haven't already, please reach out by phone directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Message 9 of 10
Square Champion

@RobynR , @_Violet ;

I tagged you in this because I did a video of the process including the Version of both IOS and Square for Retail.

For the most part I use the Hand scanner DS6878 on my items but now and then the battery of the DS6878 needs to be unplugged and pluugged into the Stand, then it works.  This is when I use the Stands Ipads Built in Camera to scan the barcode.  

Video may take time uploading being able to be played.

Here is the video:

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 10 of 10