x

Non-Restaurant Self Service with a Handheld Scanner?

We sell maple syrup off of our farm. I currently have a website (my own), integrated to Ecwid for inventory and storefront, and using Square for all payments. People can order online and we'll ship, or they can pick up at the farm, either paying online first or paying when they get here. 

We are now in the process of setting up an honor-system self-service shed on our farm for people to stop by and purchase their own products (this is typical in our area). Our items though, all look alike and it would be foolish to think people can tell the difference between an 8 oz and a 16 oz bottle, even with the prices clearly marked on them (trust me on this, lots of experience at craft fairs, they just don't look at the tags). 

I don't want to use QR codes for every product - many customers are elderly and that is just one tech step too far to figure out how to make their cell cameras work. I would rather have a hand scanner available, as all my product already have bar codes. Is this possible to do with a self serve model with Square? Or can the Square Register do self serve and scan? Any other suggestions?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Champion

@Lazarus ;

With a Square Stand, The Ipads have a Front Facing Camera that reads QR codes.

So what if you created a QR code for your products.

Set the Stand up to read the QR code to take you to the website automatically so the customer was not trying this on their phone but could also use their own phone if they wanted to.  

The issue is if the stand is left out over night weather or thieves could damage or steal the stand.

Every thing I find for Square for Self Checkout has examples for using for a Food establishment and not for retail items at a physical location.   The food screens remove some of the Backoffice buttons that would appear if you just set out a Mount and an Ipad.  

Not sure how to get rid of the More button or the other quick tabs on the bottom of the POS to keep people from Playing with them to get discounts or free items.  

Now I think the best thing might be to look up apps that integrate with Square for Self Checkout and see if they may have one for the Retail side that does what you want.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 3

Thanks Keith!  I have seen small self-serve POS stations (without being a full-blown grocery self-checkout machine) in the past at some companies' breakrooms where there is a small self-serve food pantry for employees, but it's been a while and I don't remember who made them. The shed will be heated to keep it above freezing for sure, but will still be in the 50's probably. I could bring the stand in during the evening. Yeah I don't want people to be able to get into the settings - it needs to be made to be customer-facing without supervision. 

I am attending the Nat'l Restaurant Association food show in Chicago in May and they have a whole section on tech. I normally dread going down "tech alley" at these conferences, but this might be an opportunity to shop a bunch of potentials at one time.

Message 3 of 3