x
Beta Member

Bar tab and pre authorization on Square for Restaurants

I see that this is something that's available for Square POS. Is it also available for Square for Restaurants?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @jivemofo! 👋 I see this is your first post in the Seller Community, so I would like to give you a warm welcome. 😊

Bar tab and pre-authorization is something that is currently in BETA for Square for Restaurants. (For anyone that comes to this thread looking for the same answer, Beta features are hardware or software being tested by a subset of customers before they're released to the public) 

It looks like you have a beta tag next to your username. Tagging in my friend @myau to take a look and see if you're enrolled here. 

Here is the Support Article that goes over the new updates to Square for Restaurants, including pre-authorization. 

I hope this helps! 

Applications to the Square Champions program are open! Apply here before October 14th!

Message 2 of 6
Beta Member

Is this ever actually going live? We have been waiting for over a year, and will need to move to another POS system if this isn't happening asap. 

Message 3 of 6
Beta Member

Hello!

Thank you for your reply. Do you know approximately when this will go live?

Also, is there currently a way to start a bar tab on the Stand other than swiping the card, which requires the square reader?

Tim

Message 4 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hey @jivemofo

I do not currently have a timeline of when this will go live. It all depends on how the product does in beta testing and if it needs any changes. 

To turn on open tickets:

1. From the navigation bar at the bottom of your screen, tap More.

2. Tap Add-ons > Open Tickets > Add to Point of Sale.

If you use multiple devices with a single Square account, you can access any open ticket from any logged-in device.

To turn on open checks for Square for Restaurants:

1. From your Square Dashboard, go to Devices > Point of Sale.

2. Select the device you want to enable open checks for.

3. In the Open Checks & Floor Plans section, toggle on Use Open Checks.

To create an open ticket:

1. From the Checkout screen, tap Tickets.
  2. Tap New Ticket or swipe the customer’s payment card.
  3. Enter a ticket name and an option note, then tap Save.
  4. Add items or custom amounts to the ticket.
  5. Tap Save.

When your customer is ready to pay, locate their open ticket and close the sale:

1. Tap Tickets > tap your customer’s ticket to add it to the current sale.

2. If you’re using a receipt printer and have Receipts and Bills toggled on, you can print your customer’s ticket before settling the payment. To do so, tap the ticket name > Print Bill.

3. Tap Charge > select a payment method > complete the sale.

I hope this helps! 

Applications to the Square Champions program are open! Apply here before October 14th!

Message 5 of 6

i am also very interested in this!

Message 6 of 6