x

Why do small businesses no longer have account managers?

I have been having some very large issues with Square and specifically the payroll team. They have double reported info on 2019 with holding tax for my business and they are refusing to help. I know owe money and have paid for payroll cycles that simply did/ do not exist. I have requested to speak with my account manager that I used to have and they told me only larger accounts get account managers now. I am feeling honestly hopeless with the service I am receiving from the square team and simply overlooked because we are a small cafe. Anyone had similar issues and what has been helpful/ successful for you?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square Champion

Tagging some users who might be able to help!

@mksavage @Adamscottsmith @GourmetOnWheels 

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 2 of 7
Square Champion

I had three account managers in 11 years, that last one was several months ago when I last heard from her.

The other two called to introduce themselves and heard nothing after that.

And I have not yet hit 250,000 in credit card transactions.

René

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 3 of 7

@leap907 @So sorry to hear about your payroll issues. I have been having issues figuring out who my AM was and then a month or two later was finally contacted by ours, but this was only after we had surpassed the multiple hundred thousand dollar mark in credit cards. I don’t know exactly what the requirements are, but based on job openings for AM for Square it appears only multi-million dollar credit processing accounts get dedicated AM. Now, I do not know that this is the end all be all, or the requirements, but that is what it seems to be according to the AM job descriptions online. 

now as for your payroll, are these payroll taxes from processing on a previous payroll system or was this all processed within square payroll? Do you know how these got double reported? Assuming your accountant or tax professional informed you of? 

just out of curiosity, what exactly was the response from the payroll support team about this? 

Message 4 of 7
Square Champion

Hi @leap907! This sounds super frustrating -- you need your reporting to be accurate, especially where payroll is concerned. So sorry you're dealing with this!

I haven't dealt with this issue specifically, but I know that in terms of getting connected with an Account Manager, I had to be super persistent. I don't think it's true that only large accounts get account managers, because I know of several other sellers who have them and do not do an extremely large volume of processing. I'm sure you're already doing this, but I think my only suggestion would be to keep calling until you get connected with someone who can actually help. When I was trying to get in touch with the right person to negotiate our rates with, I had to call several times and keep requesting to elevate the request -- it took several calls, but I finally got put in touch with an AM. 

Sorry to not be more helpful! @Adamscottsmith -- do you have any suggestions?

Michelle Savage
Co-Founder & President
Savage Goods | @savagegoods | savagegoods.com
Message 5 of 7

Yeah I don’t know for certain that only large accounts get them but it seems that all accounts get them at sign up and then they fall away. Once you become large enough they reappear. But again my AM said that he had brand new accounts that have never ran a business before that are assigned to him. So I really can’t figure out there logic to it. I was mainly going off of my experience and what I have heard from others partnered with the job descriptions online for AM.

but again, my AM mentioned they did just merge the sales and AM groups so many be things are improving around AMs in general? 

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hello @leap907,

Sorry about all your trouble so far, this is not a great customer service experience at all. We have reached out to the Payroll Team and they did state they are following up with you through email. 

I appreciate you working with us to get this resolved. 

Message 7 of 7