x

Why no bluetooth scanner for Android

There's been a bluetooth scanner for Apple products since at least 2016, looking through the discussion boards.  Any reason that Android users (about half the market) are stuck with a USB scanner which then requires even more workarounds since most tablets don't have a bunch of extra USB ports?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Champion

@CVI1 ;

From my understanding (which I could be wrong), Androids have different but similar programming.  Samsungs are a little different that Motorola's Android Software.   Where as Apple is all proprietary.  Android is an Open Source operating system.  

From a Google Search... copied and pasted:

Is Android 100% open-source?
Technically speaking, Android is open-source. This means anyone can look at the operating system's code, or change it - this is how OEMs like HTC and Samsung add their own tweaks. Apr 29, 2018

The only way to get software for Apple Devices is through Apple, with Android devices it is easier to write programs for these devices.  This is why Google's Play store has a lot more apps than Apple's iTunes.  Then again this is also a reason that Androids get hacked a little easier than Iphones.  Now you are thinking well how can someone hack an Android through the Scanner but not with the Apple Bluetooth Scanner..... I do not have the answer but maybe it has something to do with the Bluetooth protocols and safety features Square is not able to have on the Bluetooth Communication airwaves for open source Scanners. Now the Bluetooth Readers Square builds with these security protocols enabled and built into them.  USB is a wired connection so is easier to keep secure.

I use the Android devices for home and Personal use and Ipads for my store in the Square Stands.  Even on the Stands I use USB Scanners..... well USB to a charging cradle, then wireless from the Cradle to the actual Scanner.  

These are my ideas why Square is not getting the Bluetooth scanners working with Android and probably won't until they develop  their own scanner like the Bluetooth reader.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 2