x

USB Cash Drawer opens after slight delay

The title of this thread has been edited by a Square Moderator from the original: "USB Cash Drawer opens with a 4-5 second delay all of a sudden??"

As of yesterday, for some reason, there is a delay opening the drawer by 4-5 seconds after cash transactions. There must have been a new update that pushed this new behavior through (there's also a new alert that says "transaction recorded.").

4-5 seconds doesn't sound like a lot, but this is majorly slowing us down. We crush through cash orders in a rush. Can we please go back to the old behavior where you hit the cash button and BAM the drawer opens right up?

Hitting "open drawer" still happens immediately. It's only when you input a cash transaction that there's a 4-5 second delay.

Message 1 of 258
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: USB Cash Drawer opens after slight delay

Hello,

I finally do have an update for you guys. Our team is issuing a fix, 6.31 and that should be available on 12/15/23. If for some reason anything changes with the release date we will make sure to let you guys know. I know this is not ideal with the holiday season coming up and apologize for the huge inconvenience.  I cannot thank you guys enough for your tenacity and continued patience while we address this. 🙏

1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

I have spoken with the engineers and they plan to release 6.31 to address the issue on 11/30/2023. Thank you for all your patience! 

View Best Answer >

Message 121 of 258
257 REPLIES 257

I just installed the update and tried it a couple times! YaY!!!!!! It is fast again!!!!! 

Thank you!!!!

Message 148 of 258

Worked service tonight and the drawer is working perfect again. Hallelujah! 

Thank you so much MayaP for making this happen and keeping us in the loop. You are a saint. Extremely appreciated.

Message 149 of 258

I did a factory reset and my drawer worked great until the 3am update! Now it’s back to the new normal!! Delay delay . 

Message 150 of 258

Thanks for the update! Can't wait!

Message 151 of 258

It's better, but not perfect. The drawer opens as fast as it used to, but it still says "approved" and then a delay until it shows the change due. 

Message 152 of 258

Should really show the change when the drawer opens. I agree @bncountry 

Message 153 of 258

We have noticed the sloweness in the draw open when taking cash payments. Draw is connect to printer with cable and printer is connect by USB to POS system. We are on version OS version 5.43.0098 & App version 6.34 as it says our "software is up to date". We are square for retail USA user

Message 154 of 258

Hello, we are also on OS version 5.43.0098 & App version 6.34.  we also experience slowness in processing cash payments...

Once u enter the tender amount, it is very slow for the cash draw to open…this is what we are facing.
Any suggestions or advice. TIA. We have 2 station, square for retail users in US. The cash draw is connect directly to printer and the printer is connected to POS via USB. 

It shows software is up to date. 

Message 155 of 258

Experiencing same slow transactions again. It got better after December update, but the problem returned again since few days ago. I think the latest update broke this again. This is pathetic. 

Message 156 of 258

I would suggest calling the customer services number and logging a call with them so that they can follow up with the tech team and hopefully push out a new update very soon. 

We don't see the same time lag if we do a cash / card split payment which is strange, only when doing a full cash payment.....

Message 157 of 258

I have called them and even have a case number! But I haven’t heard from them for a month now???

Message 158 of 258

that's so annoying of them....hopefully someone from the company get notifications of this chat and takes another look into it.....

Message 159 of 258

Just chiming in on OS 5.43.0099 and 6.35 that the cash drawer thru the printer is still abysmally slow when tendering cash. Factory reset did not fix. 

Message 160 of 258

Wow, that sucks. Hard to believe they still didn't fix this. I'm glad I moved to Shopify POS back in November. Shopify has its quirks, too, but it's a much more solid platform overall.

Message 161 of 258

It's March 15, 2024 and my cash drawer just started doing this today. I've been all through the feed and can't find an actual solution to the problem. Have you found anything that has worked to change it back? 

Message 162 of 258

One of ours started doing this yesterday as well. Too slow now to be a viable option behind the bar. Only a quick solution will keep me from shopping for a new system this weekend.

Message 163 of 258

since their last outage, earlier this year, we have not experienced the same problem...fingerscrossed! 

Message 164 of 258

The slight delay in the opening of the drawer did get fixed mid-December. However, our new issue is gift cards that have balances on them are being declined if the entire sale is in excess of the gift card balance. It’s infuriating!  We have to back out of the sale to scan the gift card for its accurate balance. Re-enter the sale, split the payment for the exact amount of the gift card, and then finish the sale using a different payment method. How many stores are just taking the gift card once declined; leaving the customer to believe the gift card was empty?

Message 165 of 258
Square Community Moderator

Hey guys,

I am sorry for the late reply, just seeing this and trying to catch up! I see some people saying the cash drawer issue has been resolved for them and others saying it hasn't. For the ones who are still having issues what app version are you on and confirm what Square hardware you are using? 

@abcoffeecake I need the same information request above, the app version, and what Square hardware you are using. I just had a teammate try and didn't run into the issue. They were prompted to take a second payment. 

Message 166 of 258

Cash drawer issue- we use the Square Register system. We are current on all update versions. It resolved itself before Christmas 2023. 

Message 167 of 258

I'm using Square Stand v1 with an Epson TM-20iii and a white label RJ12 cash drawer for both our POS locations. Both iPads are running 17.3 and Square for Restaurants v6.38.1. Only one of the POS locations is having the issue. I updated that iPad to the current version of Square and it did not resolve. 

Message 168 of 258