x

USB Cash Drawer opens after slight delay

The title of this thread has been edited by a Square Moderator from the original: "USB Cash Drawer opens with a 4-5 second delay all of a sudden??"

As of yesterday, for some reason, there is a delay opening the drawer by 4-5 seconds after cash transactions. There must have been a new update that pushed this new behavior through (there's also a new alert that says "transaction recorded.").

4-5 seconds doesn't sound like a lot, but this is majorly slowing us down. We crush through cash orders in a rush. Can we please go back to the old behavior where you hit the cash button and BAM the drawer opens right up?

Hitting "open drawer" still happens immediately. It's only when you input a cash transaction that there's a 4-5 second delay.

Message 1 of 258
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: USB Cash Drawer opens after slight delay

Hello,

I finally do have an update for you guys. Our team is issuing a fix, 6.31 and that should be available on 12/15/23. If for some reason anything changes with the release date we will make sure to let you guys know. I know this is not ideal with the holiday season coming up and apologize for the huge inconvenience.  I cannot thank you guys enough for your tenacity and continued patience while we address this. 🙏

1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

I have spoken with the engineers and they plan to release 6.31 to address the issue on 11/30/2023. Thank you for all your patience! 

View Best Answer >

Message 121 of 258
257 REPLIES 257

I am so tired of the slowness of the drawer.. the public is not happy about it either! Is there any solution or am I just stuck?

Message 43 of 258

Also having this same issue! I contacted Square & sent a diagnostic report along with an emailed video of what's going on. They wanted me to try a full system reboot but I don't want to lose any of our favorites or information stored on our device. 

Message 44 of 258

Just sent the report

Message 45 of 258

Still having issues! Please help!

Message 46 of 258

We are also experiencing the same issue.  Once the recording transaction message appeared, the cash drawer experienced a delay in opening.  Square Register, fully updated, cash drawer via printer set up (Volcara POS Cash drawer). Star Micronics TSP143IIIU USB Thermal printer. Had no issues at all prior to a recent update when the recording transaction message appeared.

Message 47 of 258

Also experiencing the same issue where there’s a delay when opening the cash register. Typically it was almost instant for at least 3 years before now.. It’s definitely not mechanical as I’ve changed and swapped all cables 

additionally in my case, my square register, sometimes enables tap payments and sometimes it’s off. Basically have to press charge twice to ensure it’s good. 

Message 48 of 258

Yep.  Square broke several things with their latest updates and it's driving us and our customers nuts.  Sadly, transactions are slower, tap-to-pay is sometimes iffy, and cash drawer management reporting is no longer consistently accurate.

Message 49 of 258

As a "workaround" to some of these issues, we've revered back to our old iPads running Square on iOS which seems to be avoiding the problems.

Message 50 of 258

I could do double the sales as slow as it gets sometimes!

Message 51 of 258

Our register just started doing this a day ago, and holy moly it holds up our morning rush line.
Any resolution figured out ? 

Thank you in advance ! 

Message 52 of 258

I called in yesterday because of this issue happening a month or so ago & living with it way too long that time. Now it’s just been a couple days so I spoke with David from support & he walked me thru sending a dx report, checking to make sure my system was up to date, & then doing a quick factory reset — which DID fix it this time around! (It did NOT last month) 

so if you haven’t yet - call in to support with this issue - they are aware of it. & try a reset. It worked for us yesterday. Not saying it won’t glitch out again. 
it is NOT expected behavior. 

Message 53 of 258

When this bug happened a few months ago (for us) we found that the factory reset worked only for a 24 hour period because it'll roll back your boot to an older version. Once the POS updates to the newest version (over night) the lag will come back. 

Curious to see if that happens with you. Let us know.

Message 54 of 258

Yep, just a temporary fix. It didn’t work last time when we were experiencing this… so that’s why I was so surprised it worked this time. But it’s already back to having a lag in opening the drawer plus it won’t let me NOT be logged in (no X in the left corner) 

sooo back to contacting support today! 

Message 55 of 258

Square register us slow on Cash transactions. Anything that can be done to speed this up? Printer driven cash drawer. Thank you. 

Message 56 of 258

The delay in finishing a cash sale is really annoying! Please fix it permanently soon! Thank you 

Message 57 of 258

It is really slowing sales!

Message 58 of 258

I would also like to add that this delay in cash transactions is problematic to our flow. Debating on searching for a new POS.

Message 59 of 258

I am actually considering that too. I cannot run this slow.. Its awesome when it is fast.

Message 60 of 258

Do you know of anyone who uses Clover?  Just curious....

Message 61 of 258

Just starting getting this error and god does it slow down operations when the room is full of customers. Was fine for years until this recent update. Please to back to whatever protocol you used prior. 

Message 62 of 258

It has been really frustrating!

Message 63 of 258