x

Square Register Customer Display randomly switches from English to Japanese when customer pays.

We've been using this register for 3 days now at our new location. On 3 different occasions, the customer display has switched from English to Japanese for the transaction. After we get through the Kanji prompts for payment and tip, the display returns to English for the next customer. Anyone else experiencing this?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hello @AnthonyHMC2, I appreciate you reaching out and certainly understand your concern about your register switching languages.  I would confirm on the devices this is happening on the register is set to English, or your preferred language. I would recommend also troubleshooting each device as well. I understand this happening on more than one device, but we will ask you try these steps.

If the issue continues to happen you will need to let our support team know, so we can investigate this further. You can reach support at squ.re/contactsqsupport . If you need anything else please let me know. 

Message 2 of 4

Thanks. Yes, the register is set to English. It has only happened a few times and seems to not have re-occurred within the past 5 days. 

Message 3 of 4

I think it's because customers often accidentally hit the language option on the card reader while trying to pay, especially when they try to tap the card, and the language option at the bottom where their hand is is the Japanese option. It happens frequently on our registers too, I think it's just a bad design flaw since most people are right handed, and the button is on the bottom right where most people are putting their hands to try to tap their payment.

Message 4 of 4