x

Need help with setting up barcode scanning

Hi all! I have a small deli that sells prepped meals, sandwiches, etc. However, I also have a portion of my store dedicated for retail items. I have been using the Square for Restaurants instance and bought a bar code scanner thinking I could use that for my retail items for a faster checkout experience. Unfortunately, that is not the case. I have gone back and forth with my Square rep on how to set up bar code scanning but he never goes into depth and almost seems like I am getting the run around because that functionality is not available in the restaurants version. I started using the Retail version as he said that was the way to go but the interface does not display my current item library set up properly. As such, I have not been able to use any of it yet and I am very disappointed. Is someone able to explain if this functionality can be used for my scenario and exactly how to set it up and use properly? All I keep getting are videos and explanations that dont really help me. Thanks in advance!

RM

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Champion

@ronniemad ;

I am not sure how you setup Items in Square for Restaurant.  I have only used Square POS and Square for Retail.

I am not sure if you could export your Catalog from Square for Restaurants and then Import it into Square for Retail.

The Barcode that the Scanner reads would need to be in the SKU or GTIN fields in Square for Retail.

What system are you using and which Barcode scanner are you using?  Is the Scanner supported by Square, or just one off of Amazon?  Is the Scanner a USB or Bluetooth Scanner?  

If I scan an Item I get the item added to my cart or I get a Message...Item not found would you like to create it now?

I did try a Cheap amazon USB scanner but had an error message that Square did not recognize it at all.   Are you getting any error messages?   If you go into Menu (bottom left) then Settings Hardware Scanners if I remember correctly you should be able to see attached Scanners.  If your scanner is a Bluetooth scanner, I have had no luck setting my scanner up as a Bluetooth scanner with my Square Stand.  My Scanner is both Bluetooth and USB.    The only Bluetooth scanner that works with Square is the Mobile s700 and the LS2208 is the only USB that Square supports.  Is your scanner one of these?

Also can you give a Screen shot of how one of your items displays in your Square Catalog.

Does your scanner scan an Item and then ask if you want to add the item or does it do nothing?

If it does nothing, it might not be compatible with Square.  If you get the Message Item not found, would you like to create Item.... Go through that for one of your Retail and one of your premade foods. this will add 2 items to all your other items.  Name them Test Retail and Test Premade for example to be able to find them easily.  Then after making these Scan them again to see if these new items appear.  If they appear they are working, now you need to look at your catalog and see how to adjust all the other items to get their barcodes in for the GTIN or SKU of your other items.

If you replay back here with your findings I might be able to help more or someone else might be able to.

Just need to know what Square Hardware for POS you using (Terminal, Stand, Register...etc) and which Scanner you are using or trying to use, and finally how you are trying to connect the scanner.... USB or Wifi.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 4

Hi,

I am using Square register. I have not actually been able to scan anything yet. I set up the scanner and attempted to scan in the Square for Rest instance but it did not work, hence the reason I reached out to my rep. Installing the scanner is not the issue. Its more related to how to scan items using either Square for Rest or Square for Retail. Additionally, being able to use my current Item categorization on my POS layout with scanning capabilities for checkout. Thanks for your input.

RM

Message 3 of 4
Square Champion

@ronniemad ;

Since Square for Restaurants is not completely compatible with a Scanner like the POS system is.

From reading another thread on this, Square for Restaurants and a Square Register you need to enter items in your computer with their barcode there in the SKU or GTIN fields.  

"Yes! With Square for Restaurants you will be able to use a Barcode Scanner to scan items already in your Inventory. However in order to add inventory you will need to use your Square Dashboard or sign out of Square for Restaurants and into Square Point of Sale as the Restaurant Application is currently unable to add or modify inventory. "

I think the main issues you are having is You can not just scan a New Item that offers it to store as a Retail Item like the Square POS system does, and you need to enter your Items in the Backoffice and can not just scan an Item Like the Retail system does to enter a New item.   

Here is more about this from the other feed I found on this topic.

Square-for-Restaurants-Now-Supports-Bar-Code-Scanning/m-p/108667 

Hope this helps.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 4